The Student Room Group

2016 AQA Physics Unit 1 - Unofficial Mark scheme

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Adamtoo
I put them together but idk, for the second point I said the material/object the mug is placed on

That's correct
Original post by shohaib712
For the mug qustions
Could you put volume of liquid

I think it had to be about the mug itself apart from the material so the answer was something like the colour

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CaSama9
I don't think so because similar could suggīest greater or larger, don't worry I said greater haha

Haha ok but in the textbook it said similar not same so thats why i put it
For the infrared and microwaves question I said they both travel at the speed of light in a vacuum and they are both transverse waves.
Would that get me 2 marks?
Original post by snapchatter
Thats what I put down. My friends said it was wrong. 25000/something= 340m/s. Are you certain?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't remember the details of the question to be honest with you, but I did double-check and I didn't see anything wrong with it? I can't really remember it tho

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 105
Original post by B3ASTy
for the rural one could i have put that it would be expensive connecting to the national grid so the amount of electricity generated wouldn't be worth it?

Same I said there's a small community in the area so the costs of all the transformers and cables wouldn't be worth it..?
mobile phones - microwaves
infrared- optical fibre

similarities :

transverse waves
they travel at the same speed through a vacuum.
Original post by vxrz
No. The full 1 mark will be given only if you wrote Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation.

I think they would accept that as that is pretty much the answer but you only forgot one word

Posted from TSR Mobile
could you say bend instead of spread out for the diffraction question ?
Original post by Yusuf90
For the infrared and microwaves question I said they both travel at the speed of light in a vacuum and they are both transverse waves.
Would that get me 2 marks?

Yes they are both properties :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by greenapple10
could you say bend instead of spread out for the diffraction question ?

The waves spread out

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 111
It had a glass base...glass dont have free electrons? Does it?🤔
For the control variables question would the same room/surrounding temperature be correct?
What was the answer for the waves diffracting relating to the size of the insect??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Omz123
It had a glass base...glass dont have free electrons? Does it?🤔

no it doesn't, only metals do.
mobile phones - microwaves
infrared- optical fibre

similarities :

transverse waves
they travel at the same speed through a vacuum.

Mobile phones infrared?
Microwaves I had as transmission signals?
Reply 116
what about the last question about the convection current of the coffee?
Do you think I'd get the mark for saying that both waves travel at 3 x 10^8 but I didn't write in a vacuum? :frown:
Original post by Imas1501
What was the answer for the waves diffracting relating to the size of the insect??

Posted from TSR Mobile

waves diffract same as/equal to size of insect for max diffraction
no it doesn't, only metals do.

What did you have for that then? I knew glass is a poor conductor, but how else can you explain energy transfer by conduction in a glass? there must be electrons free to move?

Quick Reply

Latest