The Student Room Group

Did I mess up my OCR Geography Exam??

So I had my Geography B (SDME) exam today and it was going quite well until that dreaded decision making question...

First of all, I chose the Harbour walls and rock breakwater option because it clearly seemed the most sustainable and easy to talk about. Halfway through my explanation I realised we have been taught every single coastal defence BUT breakwaters. I literally had no clue what they are but I assumed that they prevented coastal erosion.

Which is a good deduction except I also wrote that they prevented flooding which makes them helpful because less lives lost, buildings damaged blah blah...

But, I am not quite sure they do prevent flooding. With the image I had of them in my mind, they kinda did. I though they were basically a wall of rocks.

My second, and most stupid, mistake was that instead of writing Option 1 (which is the option I chose and talked about) I kept writing Option 2 repeatedly and referring to what was 1 as 2!!! Will I penalised for this or will the examiner realise my mistake?

Lastly, that awful last part! I didn't have enough time to make up a good alternate plan but I roughly wrote about 5 lines. I only really said that the National Trust can evacuate all the important industries to an area which is the safest and put extra defences in place like gabions (since they are fairly cheaper). I know its not good but thats all I had time to write about. I didn't even get to explain why that is the more sustainable decision.

Overall, how many marks do you think I would loose over these??

The rest of my exam was great, i don't think I lost marks elsewhere.
about tree fiddy
Breakwaters don't prevent flooding, sorry! It depends how many other developed ideas you had for advantages of your option. I'm not sure how writing the wrong option would effect your marks. For the alternative solution, you should get some marks but not many development marks, so will be capped at maybe level 2/4 for that idea. You could maybe still get a B if your disadvantages were well developed and you had other developed ideas for advantages, but I really don't know as if you wrote option 2 you would probably have marks deducted as the ideas you wrote would be incorrect for option 2.
Original post by Rocco123
Breakwaters don't prevent flooding, sorry! It depends how many other developed ideas you had for advantages of your option. I'm not sure how writing the wrong option would effect your marks. For the alternative solution, you should get some marks but not many development marks, so will be capped at maybe level 2/4 for that idea. You could maybe still get a B if your disadvantages were well developed and you had other developed ideas for advantages, but I really don't know as if you wrote option 2 you would probably have marks deducted as the ideas you wrote would be incorrect for option 2.

Thats what I thought. The examiner would think I have evaluated opt 2 wrong when I am actually doing opt 1. But I do mention so many things like breakwaters and 100 years in my answer so maybe they will realise it was a silly mistake??? My reasons were quite developed, I wrote quite a lot (which is why I ran out of time) but, again, some of my points were related to the prevention of flooding.

I do think the rest of the exam went quite well so maybe overall it could be an A? (a low A perhaps)

Oh well, it is only 25% and I already have an A* for my coursework. Hopefully, I will be able to get and A* in the other exam. It just sucks because i usually do really well on SDME's...
It could be a low A if your reasons were very well developed and the rest of the exam went well. As you said, only 25%, so don't worry too much, I'm sure you'll do well in the other exam and your A* in the coursework will definitely help! Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending