The Student Room Group

P1 physics edexcel did you guys find it awful?!

Scroll to see replies

In my view, the examination was by far more challenging than any past papers: the application of physics in models and diagrams constituted a much bigger proportion of the exam than in previous years, and the last six-marker tested knowledge which many candidates probably overlooked.

The questions not only required background knowledge, but the ability to discern how to use that background knowledge - so many of my friends, for example, stated that the star was moving further away from the Earth because they knew about redshift as background knowledge, but didn't realise that the difference in wavelength meant that this was not an example of redshift, but of blueshift, because the wavelength was shortened fractionally. And of course, that last six-marker not only required knowledge on seismic waves, but also knowledge on the importance of their properties - as aforementioned, knowledge which many candidates probably overlooked. It wasn't just about knowing facts; it was about applying them.

I'd be surprised if the grade boundaries didn't fall this year. The exam was challenging, definitely. On-the-whole, judging by the answers of my friends, it looks like I've done far better than I thought I'd done coming out of that exam room. Nonetheless, with so much reliant on such small snippets of knowledge, I'm not sure what grade that will translate as.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by Southwestern
In my view, the examination was by far more challenging than any past papers: the application of physics in models and diagrams constituted a much bigger proportion of the exam than in previous years, and the last six-marker tested knowledge which many candidates probably overlooked.

The questions not only required background knowledge, but the ability to discern how to use that background knowledge - so many of my friends, for example, stated that the star was moving further away from the Earth because they knew about redshift as background knowledge, but didn't realise that the difference in wavelength meant that this was not an example of redshift, but of blueshift, because the wavelength was shortened fractionally. And of course, that last six-marker not only required knowledge on seismic waves, but also knowledge on the importance of their properties - as aforementioned, knowledge which many candidates probably overlooked. It wasn't just about knowing facts; it was about applying them.

I'd be surprised if the grade boundaries didn't fall this year. The exam was challenging, definitely. On-the-whole, judging by the answers of my friends, it looks like I've done far better than I thought I'd done coming out of that exam room. Nonetheless, with so much reliant on such small snippets of knowledge, I'm not sure what grade that will translate as.

So the star was getting closer to the Sun?
Original post by Cool_Henry
I got that

What about the three mark question stating the sun's wavelength and then saying another star's? Was it because of red-shift and it's expanding so it's closer to the red of the spectrum or something?
Reply 43
If you are talking about a level edexcel then i agree that **** in the middle was horrible
Original post by TheNerdxP
What about the three mark question stating the sun's wavelength and then saying another star's? Was it because of red-shift and it's expanding so it's closer to the red of the spectrum or something?

The star was moving towards us because the wavelength decreased which meant it was shifted towards the blue end of the spectrum

Nevermind it was blue shift, I was going to put that aswell :/
I put 100p when the answer for the cost was 1000p how many marks would i get if it is 1/10 of the original answer (3 marks) 1 or 2 marks?
Original post by CFCITBC
What did you guys put for the wave frequency when we were given wave speed and wavelength?
I got something like 3.45x10^14

I got that too
Nevermind it was blue shift, I was going to put that aswell :/

I think the answer was "the star is moving towards us" because I think the question asked about what this told us about the star
For the very first question what did everyone put as an advantage and disadvantage of the petrol fuelled generator?
Original post by Adenine9
For the very first question what did everyone put as an advantage and disadvantage of the petrol fuelled generator?

I said an advantage was that you can use the petrol engine all the time (as long as you have petrol haha) whereas a wind turbine needs wind to be powered that is not always available
For the Advantage I put that more energy is released and it doesn't rely on weather like the wind powered one does which is unreliable
For the disadvantage I wrote its a non renewable energy resource so it will run out and that fuel releases carbon dioxide

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
Original post by Taran001
I put 100p when the answer for the cost was 1000p how many marks would i get if it is 1/10 of the original answer (3 marks) 1 or 2 marks?

The answer was 1p because you need to convert the units first
What did people put for the question, how many years until the sun becomes a white dwarf?
Original post by Cool_Henry
I said an advantage was that you can use the petrol engine all the time (as long as you have petrol haha) whereas a wind turbine needs wind to be powered that is not always available

Yeah I said that too, that there weren't any specific weather requirements to use the petrol generator :smile: For a disadvantage I said that the generator would need to be powered by fossil fuels which are non renewable whereas the wind generator uses it from a renewable source? :smile:
Original post by This_is_Hugo
What did people put for the question, how many years until the sun becomes a white dwarf?

7.5billion
Original post by This_is_Hugo

7.5 I think?
Original post by Adenine9
Yeah I said that too, that there weren't any specific weather requirements to use the petrol generator :smile: For a disadvantage I said that the generator would need to be powered by fossil fuels which are non renewable whereas the wind generator uses it from a renewable source? :smile:

I put exactly the same as you! :smile:
The question on the 1850nm wave difference.

I put its because microwaves are absorbed, was that right?
Original post by Afro Tail
The question on the 1850nm wave difference.

I put its because microwaves are absorbed, was that right?

I put the specific wavelength was absorbed by the atmosphere whereas outside the Earths atmosphere it wasn't absorbed so it was detected

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending