The Student Room Group

OCR BIOLOGY GATEWAY B 25TH MAY 2016 B1 B2 B3 Exam

Scroll to see replies

Effeciency = Energy available to the next level (Sheep) / Energy that was available to the previous level (Grass (from the light)) anyone remember the values? I got 2% as an answer but a lot of people got 5%. After 2 years of getting constant A* I worry that I end up getting a B on this test -_-
Original post by money-for-all
you look too old for gcse, you 32 ?

I'm 15 and the youngest in my year lol
Original post by ellamoon_22
1) A and B : Retina which has light receptors so is sensitive to the light
Iris which controls how much light enters the eye (2 MARKS)

2)cornea(refracts), lens(focuses)

3?) binocular works by field of view overlapping and the brain interprets info to create 3D image(2/3MARKS)

Was part A the retina? oops think I got them mixed up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by notarealname2000
Effeciency = Energy available to the next level (Sheep) / Energy that was available to the previous level (Grass (from the light)) anyone remember the values? I got 2% as an answer but a lot of people got 5%. After 2 years of getting constant A* I worry that I end up getting a B on this test -_-

Haha yeah same, my last two biology mock exams for this i got an A star without revision, this time i had a geology exam today so i thought - i could skip revising. And it got to the point where i was just broken and lost in that exam because of knowledge gaps. Plus everyone else found it relatively okay so I'm hoping the grade boundaries don't float off way above me.
Original post by Vanilla Cupcake

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't remember what they were labelled but the closet to corneas iris and retina is near back
Original post by Vanilla Cupcake

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pretty sure part B was the retina
MYANSWERS NOT NECESSARILY IN ORDER SORRY

1) Aand B : Retina which has light receptors so is sensitive to the light
Iris which controls how much light enters the eye (2 MARKS)

2)cornea(refracts), lens(focuses)

3?) binocular works by field of view overlapping and the brain interprets info to create 3D image(2/3MARKS)

4?) stimulant because in diagram there was more neurotransmitter released after taking the drink

Posted from TSR Mobile

Could u say for the binocular one how the brain compares each image the more similar they are the further away the object?
Efficiency = useful energy output/ Total energy input x 100
The arrow pointing to the sheep from the plant is the energy input, which was 4,000 (200,000 was the total energy input for the plants from the sun, not the input for the sheep). The useful energy output for the sheep then has to be 200. This means that the answer was 5%, not 2%.
200/4,000 x 100 = 5%
Original post by leopard923
Posted from TSR Mobile

Could u say for the binocular one how the brain compares each image the more similar they are the further away the object?

That's literally exactly what I wrote 😊
Original post by leopard923
Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes
Original post by bjjjjjhhjhjhjh
5% or 2% for the second six marker?

I got 2%because the number after the sun is the amount of energy the plant receives. and the amount after the plant was the amount of energy passed on to the sheep.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by queenfluffy23
Can anyone remember all of the questions of the exam and their marks?

Question 1 was naming what the iris and the retina did
Question 2 was naming the processes (one being refraction, the retina was given last)
Question 3 was the different colour eyes (due to alleles I think)
Question 4 and 5 I believe was the two genetic diagrams. Both being 50% I think.

Question 8 was the controversial energy efficiency one. (Last question on B2) Worth 6 marks

First question (9) on B3 i believe was the reversed heart.
9 a) which part is where the blood is pumped?
9 b) how would a normal heart be put in
9 c) 1 in 10,000 people have it in the UK. Population is 63 billion (nor sure on that number) Work out how many has it
9 d) Should babies be X-rayed for the disease

Last question was about dry mass AVD and DisADV. The question before was the DNA bases I think.
ASWERS ARE NOT IN ORDER JUST HOW I REMEMBER THEM

5) EAR equation given so not too difficult

6)she is pregnant so her EAR Increased as she is sharing her proteins in her blood stream between herself and the foetus so needs to eat more proteins

7) diff inheritance of diff genes from parents so variation and diff Alleles Dominant and recessive etc

8) cystic fibrosis was 50%

9) I can't remember but I think it was 50% as well explanation was about homozygous recessive and heterozygous and use your tAble thing
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm doing an unofficial markscheme will link when done:smile:
Original post by Afgsed
i got 25% and 50% oops

Same thats what i got too :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Yes

Yayy! Lool :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zoroarrkk
Question 1 was naming what the iris and the retina did
Question 2 was naming the processes (one being refraction, the retina was given last)
Question 3 was the different colour eyes (due to alleles I think)
Question 4 and 5 I believe was the two genetic diagrams. Both being 50% I think.

Question 8 was the controversial energy efficiency one. (Last question on B2) Worth 6 marks

First question (9) on B3 i believe was the reversed heart.
9 a) which part is where the blood is pumped?
9 b) how would a normal heart be put in
9 c) 1 in 10,000 people have it in the UK. Population is 63 billion (nor sure on that number) Work out how many has it
9 d) Should babies be X-rayed for the disease

Last question was about dry mass AVD and DisADV. The question before was the DNA bases I think.

Also questions between 5-8 included EAR, Geo and Photo tropism. Plant hormone (Auxins)

Somewhere was about butterflies. 1st part was the interspecific competition, second was why some weird ecological thing that I never heard of. Third was the oak tree butterfly with different mouths.

B3 Six marker was the one on the forest/tree in Utah.
B1 Six marker was on drug trails with a graph
ASWERS ARE NOT IN ORDER JUST HOW I REMEMBER THEM

5) EAR equation given so not too difficult

6)she is pregnant so her EAR DECREASED as she is sharing her proteins in her blood stream between herself and the foetus

7) diff inheritance of diff genes from parents so variation and diff Alleles Dominant and recessive etc

It would have INCREASED because EAR is the amount of protein the body needs and therefore she would need to eat more protein due to having a baby aswell
Original post by Magenta AF
It would have INCREASED because EAR is the amount of protein the body needs and therefore she would need to eat more protein due to having a baby aswell

Ok thank you :h:
Original post by Tea2345
That's literally exactly what I wrote 😊

Yes :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending