The Student Room Group

OCR 21st Century Science Physics P123 [25th May 2016]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ben.M
I know parallax is in P1 but I thought it was only supposed to be explanation rather than calculations.

They put things that come up on P7
Reply 41
Original post by KomradeKorbyn
I also put 0.148, and I'm pretty sure I put 8.8 for the other one.

For the speed of waves I got 8 km/s and 4 km/s, can't remember the order.

For the checkbox questions that was like "Which two statements explain why certain types of radiation damage cells" I put the one that said something about certain radiation types having a high frequency, and the other one saying if the frequency is great enough then cells are damaged. Can't remember exactly, but it was that sort of thing.

For that second six marker on room planning for the bit where it asks you to calculate appropriate power for the light, I got something around 300w, what did anyone else get?

In the other bit of the same six marker where it said "explain why there is a minimum light level in buildings" I put "to ensure all areas of the room are adequately lit up", not sure if it was right, what did you guys put?

I also put 8.8, 0.148, 8 and 4. I put 307.2W for the light power one, and something about being able to see from everywhere in the room. I put CBA for the Sankey diagrams
I also got CBA and 307.2, but I put 308 as my final answer since you aren't going to get a .2W bulb :tongue:

Too many tick boxes, not enough P1-3!
Reply 43
I think I got 307.5 for the power one. I also said about lighting up the room but lots of my friends are saying that they wrote things about it being a safe level or something???
Original post by nonon41
I got the same answers for you in those questions, I got CBA on the sankey diagram question but most people here seem to have ACB?

Which ones did you get the same answers as me for, all of them?

And yeah, the sankey diagram one I just did them based on the size of each diagram.

I don't remember which letters I put, but the smallest one (the one in the middle I think?) was the one with the smallest energy output of like 1100w (B?), the middle diagram (the one on the left?) was the one with the middle energy output of 1300w (C?), and the biggest diagram (on the right) was the biggest energy output of 1400w (A I think).

That's obviously all from memory and I can't remember too well, but that would give me CBA in order, so I think I got the same as you - although actually, now that I think about it, I sort of remember writing ACB. I really can't remember :redface:
Original post by emmald583
I also got CBA and 307.2, but I put 308 as my final answer since you aren't going to get a .2W bulb :tongue:

Too many tick boxes, not enough P1-3!

So then surely you would put 307 instead of 308 then, because you would be rounding down as its .2?
Original post by kish9600
So then surely you would put 307 instead of 308 then, because you would be rounding down as its .2?

No, because it had to be at least 150 lux - since 307.2 gave exactly 150, 307 would not meet the requirement.
No, because it had to be at least 150 lux - since 307.2 gave exactly 150, 307 would not meet the requirement.

Fair enough, I got it wrong anyway lol. Do you remember any other answers you got?
Reply 48
Which ones did you get the same answers as me for, all of them?

And yeah, the sankey diagram one I just did them based on the size of each diagram.

I don't remember which letters I put, but the smallest one (the one in the middle I think?) was the one with the smallest energy output of like 1100w (B?), the middle diagram (the one on the left?) was the one with the middle energy output of 1300w (C?), and the biggest diagram (on the right) was the biggest energy output of 1400w (A I think).

That's obviously all from memory and I can't remember too well, but that would give me CBA in order, so I think I got the same as you - although actually, now that I think about it, I sort of remember writing ACB. I really can't remember :redface:

Yeah, from what I remember I think I got all the same as you which is probably a good thing :tongue:
Fair enough, I got it wrong anyway lol. Do you remember any other answers you got?

Not that I'm very sure of!

What did you put for the digital vs analogue noise question? I put both because they are both distorted by notice, it's just that digital is easy to clean up. I feel like I might have over complicated it?
Sounds about right for most of them. You seem smart with a good memory for most of them, can you recall any other answers you got?

The first question, the six marker on sedimentary rocks:

Erosion causes rocks to become eroded (yes, I actually wrote a sentence as obvious as this :tongue:) . The eroded rocks wash into the sea, and settle on the sea bed as sediment. Eventually the sediment is crushed by the weight of the sediment above it, forming sedimentary rock. This shows the Earth is older than a few thousand years because it takes a long time for the sedimentary rocks to get pushed into the Earth where they melt and cool to become distorted. It also would take a long time to for different layers of sedimentary rock like the red and grey sandstone.

(That was pretty close to what I put. My wording was really weird because I was rushing but they don't really care about your English skills much.)

For the second six marker on floor planning:

(For the bit on calculating the lamps power) I just wrote out the step by steps and got and end result of roughly 300w, I think like 341w? Can't really remember too well, only that it was somewhere between 300w and 400w.

(For the bit on suggesting why minimum light levels are required) To ensure all areas of the room are adequately lit.

There was a third part of that six marker but I can't remember what it was, anyone else remember?

For the third six marker on effects of increased energy requirements:

Higher energy requirements results in more fossil fuels needing to be burned to produce electricity. Burning certain fossil fuels like coal or oil produces sulfur dioxide, which creates acid rain which harms plants and animals and destroys habitats. Burning fossil fuels also produces greenhouse gases like carbon dioxide, which go into the atmosphere and reflect heat from the Earth, causing global warming. This increase in temperature results in melting ice caps, resulting in increased sea levels, destroying animal habitats. It also causes it to be too hot to grow food.
(edited 7 years ago)
Not that I'm very sure of!

What did you put for the digital vs analogue noise question? I put both because they are both distorted by notice, it's just that digital is easy to clean up. I feel like I might have over complicated it?

I can't remember. The first one, was second the right, and I put the second one furthest to the left...I think
Was I the only one who put CBA? I know a lot of people in my school did

I did it as well, but it seem like wrong
;(

Erosion causes rocks to become eroded (yes, I actually wrote a sentence as obvious as this :tongue:) . The eroded rocks wash into the sea, and settle on the sea bed as sediment. Eventually the sediment is crushed by the weight of the sediment above it, forming sedimentary rock. This shows the Earth is older than a few thousand years because it takes a long time for the sedimentary rocks to get pushed into the Earth where they melt and cool to become distorted. It also would take a long time to for different layers of sedimentary rock like the red and grey sandstone.

(That was pretty close to what I put. My wording was really weird because I was rushing but they don't really care about your English skills much.)

(For the bit on calculating the lamps power) I just wrote out the step by steps and got and end result of roughly 300w, I think like 341w? Can't really remember too well, only that it was somewhere between 300w and 400w.

(For the bit on suggesting why minimum light levels are required) To ensure all areas of the room are adequately lit.

There was a third part of that six marker but I can't remember what it was, anyone else remember?

Higher energy requirements results in more fossil fuels needing to be burned to produce electricity. Burning certain fossil fuels like coal or oil produces sulfur dioxide, which creates acid rain which harms plants and animals and destroys habitats. Burning fossil fuels also produces greenhouse gases like carbon dioxide, which go into the atmosphere and reflect heat from the Earth, causing global warming. This increase in temperature results in melting ice caps, resulting in increased sea levels, destroying animal habitats. It also causes it to be too hot to grow food.

Ok thanks, for the first six marker I didn't really talk about erosion, the middle bit was the same... instead I talked about folding and how the deeper you go the older it gets due to huge pressures... would I still get the marks?
Also the third six marker, I only talked about CO2, and how fossil fuels can't meet the current demands and then went on to talk about how renewable energy is a better alternative and is less harmful... will I be given credit for that?
Overall, basically do you know what marks id get for them both?
Reply 54

I think the third part was about why intensity decreased with distance so I wrote about the inverse square law and the absorption, scattering and reflection of photons

It was explaining why intensity decreases as you get further from the lamp.
Original post by Ben.M
I put 8.8 light years and 0.148 seconds of arc for parallax questions

I got that too
Do you know how many marks that was, I know I definitely got that one wrong

I think they were 3 marks combined
Reply 58
her3s my post from older thread
Hai just gonna post all the answers I got
First 6 marker i didnt understand why the layers were distorted but was told it was because you get more pressure on the rocks below or something but i explained how sedimentwry rock was formed properly
The p wave was 8km/s
s wave 4 km/s
the x was on either side east of the circle because it was 100km fromcboth i think
i forgot what was next but parallaxx i got
the angle was too small to draw and light year too large

8.8 Light Years becausw inversely proportional so half of 0.74 would make double 4.4
Then i got 0.148, u double 0.74 and divide it by 10 (do opposite to 4.4 so 4.4/2 * 10)
i said that distances are too far away to detect it and planets dont emit as much radiation as stars
uhm forgot other questions but 2nd six marker was fine tbh it was like my physics coursework inversely proportional thing and photoms spread out and intensity is the amoint of photons reading a square metre per secone then i said the suitable power is 308 because it was 150 = (307.2 * 20)/6.4^2
uhm for the digital and analogue i got
digital was and 1
digital can be superimposed by electromagnetic wave
analogue was noise disruotion
both can be processed by computer's
both can do images and pictures
for the scientific or not i forgot the statements but i did 3 non scientfic two scientific
for the sankee diagrams i got CBA because coal has mosrt waste uranium has 2nd most waste and oil? has least i figured that out thanks to currents and the one with highest xurrent was coal with 58
uhm for radiation and irradiatipn i said
reprocrssing centre : both
power station: irradiation
then uhm last one i wrote way too much to remember
can anyone post unofficial mark scjeme I'll help
It was explaining why intensity decreases as you get further from the lamp.

Oh, yeah. I just wrote that the photons of light get more and more spread out and thus there are fewer photons in any given area, because the same number of photons have to cover a large area.

Quick Reply

Latest