The Student Room Group

Physics IGCSE Edexcel May 25th 2016.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Speersy
What did you guys put for the reason why passengers gain GPE when going underground in a lift?

I said that they were gaining GPE by resisting the gravity of the ground above them by going underground
But then they'd still be losing GPE on the whole because they're going underground - annoying question!

I said that because GPE=mgh and their mass and gravity remains constant, the increased height would increase their GPE. On the whole I don't think I did well on that paper though :frown:
Reply 61
Original post by kavishax
I said that because GPE=mgh and their mass and gravity remains constant, the increased height would increase their GPE. On the whole I don't think I did well on that paper though :frown:

Dammit, was the question about gaining GPE when they go up? Didn't realise it was that simple I thought it asked why they gain GPE when they go down... oops
Wait, then again the lift did say that it took passengers DOWN but never said it took them up
(edited 7 years ago)
was it just me who found it really easy?
Reply 63
Original post by iamamarxist
was it just me who found it really easy?

Wasn't really that bad at all, just the question on why the wavelength of sound increases when sped up was pretty difficult
Original post by Speersy
Did everyone put light energy for the type of energy released from nuclear fisssion? I wasnt sure if it was thermal or light :s-smilie:

kinetic energy of the daughter nuclei
Original post by Speersy
I dont know myself tbh! it was just a guess, there's nothing on it in the textbook and I can't even find an answer on the internet!
But I guess the way to look at is that its basically 2 marks knocked of the grade boundary cuz barely anyone will get that right

Aha i like ur attitude! There was so much in there that none of the textbooks mentioned
I put nuclear energy was released, stupid I know, but I just remembered reading somewhere in the CGP guide that nuclear energy was 'given off' from fission.
Original post by Speersy
Wasn't really that bad at all, just the question on why the wavelength of sound increases when sped up was pretty difficult

its because their proportional, wavelength and wavespeed. think about it, the frequency is staying the same, so if the frequency is say 70Hz, if v increases, from 140 to 150, then 140=70x2 - 150=70x?

Obviously the wavelength must have increased
Reply 68
Original post by tomtimpson
I put nuclear energy was released, stupid I know, but I just remembered reading somewhere in the CGP guide that nuclear energy was 'given off' from fission.

Same! I remember nearly putting nuclear down
The wave equation (V= f lambda) can be used for all waves not just light
Anyone got the unofficial mark scheme?
Anyone got an unofficial mark scheme?
IMG_0522.jpg Right, See number (5) on there... "Nuclear energy -- released only from nuclear reactions"
Original post by Speersy

I used the equation wavespeed = wavelength * frequency

I am not sure if this is right, but I put that if the speed increases whilst the frequency was kept the same the wavelength would increase.
I was stuck on the question before that though.
What did everyone put for the pressure question on the diver? I completely ****ed up the first one, you were meant to use p1v1=p2v2 and you got something like 14000, I got 0.142...
Also for the other diver one about pressure difference, i did the equation and got 113kPa, but were you meant to subtract 101kPa from it.
Second one I did 113kPa + 101kPa = 214kPa but idk
Also the why does the refractive index not have units.... wtf. I put something along the lines of it isnt a physical thing you could measure, so it isnt a scalar or vector. Also something about you can only have it between certain numbers, you cant go beneath 1 in the refractive index.
Overall an ok paper, but with some really weird questions
Original post by jamesj477
What did everyone put for the pressure question on the diver? I completely ****ed up the first one, you were meant to use p1v1=p2v2 and you got something like 14000, I got 0.142...
Also for the other diver one about pressure difference, i did the equation and got 113kPa, but were you meant to subtract 101kPa from it.
Also the why does the refractive index not have units.... wtf. I put something along the lines of it isnt a physical thing you could measure, so it isnt a scalar or vector. Also something about you can only have it between certain numbers, you cant go beneath 1 in the refractive index.

Surely you weren't meant to subtract 101kPa because the formula found the "pressure difference" anyway?
Reply 76
Original post by jamesj477

Nah, pretty sure you were'nt meant to subtract the 101kPa value
Reply 77
id people get for the polar bear one? The bear was dark so it had lots of UV in/on it, does that mean it reflected it or absorbed it? Loads of people got different answers for this so I wasn't sure
Original post by Speersy
What did you guys put for the reason why passengers gain GPE when going underground in a lift?

I said that they were gaining GPE by resisting the gravity of the ground above them by going underground
But then they'd still be losing GPE on the whole because they're going underground - annoying question!

I put that gravity acts on an object in its centre of mass, which in the earths case is the core. So when you go up, you gain GPE (GPE=mgh) mass and g remain constant, height increases so GPE increases
Original post by tomtimpson
IMG_0522.jpg Right, See number (5) on there... "Nuclear energy -- released only from nuclear reactions"

I'm 90% sure it is kinetic though as I got this wrong in a past paper from a few years ago :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending