The Student Room Group

Edexcel IAL Core Mathematics - C12 - WMA01 - JUNE 2016

Scroll to see replies

i think it is 11/64 cz..the area of the triangle was 0.5x(3/8)x(2-0.5)..=9/32
integrated region= x(x-1)(x-2) from 1 to 0.5= 7/64
9/32 -7/64 = 11/64
Reply 81
Original post by hasi.99
What was the answer for the last integration question?

i got .1 something
Original post by hasi.99
Are you sure about this because i got 11/64

yes I am very certain.. majority of my friends simply subtracted the equation of the line from that of the curve and then integrated from 1 to 2, however, there was still further calculations required ( if that's the method you used) so they missed out on 2-3 marks.. equation of the curve was y=x(x-1)(x-2).. so when y=0, then x can either be 0, 1 or 2.. easiest way of doing it was integrating from 1/2 ( which was given ) to 1( that would give a small portion of the area under the curve) then subtracting it from the area of the triangle
Reply 83
Original post by Einsteinj.n.r
yes I am very certain.. majority of my friends simply subtracted the equation of the line from that of the curve and then integrated from 1 to 2, however, there was still further calculations required ( if that's the method you used) so they missed out on 2-3 marks.. equation of the curve was y=x(x-1)(x-2).. so when y=0, then x can either be 0, 1 or 2.. easiest way of doing it was integrating from 1/2 ( which was given ) to 1( that would give a small portion of the area under the curve) then subtracting it from the area of the triangle

Omg thank God I did that! Could you tell me how you solved the simultaneous logarithm question please?
Original post by I <3 WORK
Omg thank God I did that! Could you tell me how you solved the simultaneous logarithm question please?

Im afraid I cant really remember:frown: but don't worry, a few marks lost wont harm.. I doubt if I got the marks there
Can we attempt a markscheme for the exam?
Reply 86
Original post by queenoflean

Yes please :adore::adore:
Reply 87
Im afraid I cant really remember:frown: but don't worry, a few marks lost wont harm.. I doubt if I got the marks there

No worries it's fine. :smile: To be honest I think my main problem in this paper was the time. I tend to make a lot of careless mistakes and if I don't check them...That just sucks I guess. For the integration question I got a minus answer because I didn't do minus minus in the step before that. Would I lose method marks if I changed the sign at the end?

do you think the grade boundaries will be high??
Original post by I <3 WORK
No worries it's fine. :smile: To be honest I think my main problem in this paper was the time. I tend to make a lot of careless mistakes and if I don't check them...That just sucks I guess. For the integration question I got a minus answer because I didn't do minus minus in the step before that. Would I lose method marks if I changed the sign at the end?

I think you'll get full marks cause area is never negative, so long as 11/64 was your final answer I think you're good to go:smile: Are you sitting for M1?
Reply 90
I think you'll get full marks cause area is never negative, so long as 11/64 was your final answer I think you're good to go:smile: Are you sitting for M1?

Wait no way please tell me you meant to write 27/64? :frown: Because I did the same method as you mentioned earlier when calculating the area. And no haha lol I do S1 because I hate Physics and hence M1. :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
sorry I meant 26/64:biggrin: hahah lol physics and M1 are so easy.. our teacher said you can only do M2 if you get 80% or above, im afraid I might be the only one doing M2 in my class
Reply 92
sorry I meant 26/64:biggrin: hahah lol physics and M1 are so easy.. our teacher said you can only do M2 if you get 80% or above, im afraid I might be the only one doing M2 in my class

Right may be you truly are an Einstein. :biggrin: No way I did Triple Science Physics GCSE last year and it had 2 extra AS modules which were so hard and annoying! I remember learning stuff about logic gates connected to transistors and diodes and all the rest of it! It completely put me off lol. :wink:
He's my hero indeed!:biggrin: but physics can really be stubborn sometimes, lol yeah that's right but A-level physics is nowhere close to that haha
Reply 94
Original post by Raynedrops
There are some questions I remember but couldn't do
Any ideas on the answers?

- The question with the circle with centre (a, 3). Another coordinate on the circle is P(4, -3). Find a
I think it was 25/8 ...can't remember tho.

- The logarithm question to convert log 2 y = 5 - log 2 x (the 2's should be small) into y^2 = k / x
BTW it was 2log2y=5-log2x and k was 32

- How to solve the logarithm equation simultaneously with another equation I can't remember
I used x power -3 =y and then substituted y in the equation to find x...I think x was 1/2 not sure tho

- The answer in the Sum of n question Where a = 97 and d = -3. I think I got 56

I think I got 66... It was n>65.6

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got 11/64 too😍😍
do you think the grade boundaries will be high??

I found the paper to be of the same difficulty, if not just a little easier, than the ial jan paper, so i doubt the boundaries will increase by much
Reply 97
if the exam was much more difficult, the grade boundaries will be lower then
Reply 98
I found the paper to be of the same difficulty, if not just a little easier, than the ial jan paper, so i doubt the boundaries will increase by much

don't you think so?
somebody remembers the answer for the second part of the trapezium rule question?

Quick Reply

Latest