The Student Room Group

2016 AQA Physics Unit 1 - Unofficial Mark scheme

Scroll to see replies

Any idea for grade boundaries yet guys? Regarding guesses!
Reply 221
Original post by Habina786xx
Sameee I put that!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think so...
They are 2 different waves on the EM spectrum...
You should have said stuff like travelling through a vacuum and same speeds, etc
Original post by ihatehannah
1. Frequency ( 1)

2. Echoes (1)

3. spread out, same as (2)

b) vibrations are parallel to the direction of energy transfer (2)

4. Expensive as National Grid is a long distance away from rural areas (1)

4b) ADVANTAGES
constant supply, little variation in output
£30k cheaper than wind turbine
renewable resource
doesn't produce as much noise as wind
No CO2

DISADVANTAGES
could ruin ecosystem by preventing free movement of fish
May need maintenance unlike wind
Lower power output - 8W compared to 10W

Wind - ADVANTAGES
higher average output
Needs little maintenance
renewable resource
Easily expanded
No CO2

DISADVANTAGES
Eyesore
noise pollution
Wind speeds vary, meaning there could be times of under- or oversupply
Costs 50k, 30k more than HEP (6)

5. inefficient as less or little energy used to heat food as heat is lost as infrared radiation to the surroundings(2)

uses of infrared(1) : remote controls, optical fibres

uses of microwaves(1): mobile phones, satellites

b) properties of microwaves and infra red radiation (2): can diffract, can refract, travel same speed in vaccuum, both transverse waves, can be reflected transverse• same speed (through air)• can be reflected• can be refracted• can be diffracted• can be absorbed• transfer energy• can travel through a vacuum• can be polarised• show interference

calculation questions, 340 m/s for first one (2) then 78 degrees(3) , then 6.4 watts(2) then 0.07 degrees/s (2) efficiency question was 0.48 W (2)

6. Fins increase surface area and black matt a are good absorbers of heat (2)

7. cosmic microwave background radiation (1)

b) provides evidence for the big bang theory (1)

10. They keep costs as low as possible as efficiency does not increase as much but the cost goes up rapidly , ( give example and data figures to secure the marks) (2)

11. why france will still use nuclear power(2) : cost of electricity is cheaper(1) and produces much more electricity(1) , produces no greenhouse gases like co2(1)

12. Disadvantages of nuclear power stations(2): raw materials are non- renewable, high decommissioning costs, produces radioactive waste.

13. factors that affect rate of energy transfer of mug(2): room temperature, surface area , how shiny it is( not sure about this one) and colour of the mug

b) particles gain kinetic energy and collide more frequently, passing on their extra kinetic energy to other particles .(2)

c) how is a convection current formed in the mug(4): liquid at the bottom is heated and particles gain kinetic energy and move away from each other, this makes the liquid less dense , causing it to rise and displace the denser colder liquid at the top , the denser particles then fall and is heated again.

14) control variable for the investigation measuring rate of evaporation (1) : same beaker or same type of beaker, same position in the room., same thermometer .

b) why is the data logger better(2): more accurate (1) , easier to read(1) , more precise (1)

15 relationship of the graph comparing 3 types of beakers and their rate of evaporation(1): as time increases, rate of evaporation decreases.

b) Beaker A(1) gradient of the line is the lowest and the final temperature is the highest of em all

c) If investigation was repeated with lower volume , what effect would it have(1) : rate of evaporation will be higher (1)

Why evaporation causes temperature to decrease (3): particles with enough kinetic energy and travelling in the right direction will escape the liquid and evaporate and take their kinetic energy with them , which means average kinetic energy of particles in liquid is lower and thus temperature is lower.

16) why a vacuum reduces energy transfer (2) : no particles so stops energy transfer by conduction , convection and radiation

Hi would I get marks for saying electromagnetic radiation instead of CMBR. Also, would I get marks for saying nature of the surface of the mug for the energy transfer question, and would I get marks for saying windflow for the control variable for the evaporation question
Original post by Alfieee
What was the question where the answer was 340m/s?

work out the speed of the wave with frequency of 20 khz ish and wavelength of about 0.0381m or something like that.
Original post by Mahrez
For a disadvantage of nuclear doesn't it have a long start up time?

I said that too

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did that but you should still get 2/3 for all the working 😭
work out the speed of the wave with frequency of 20 khz ish and wavelength of about 0.0381m or something like that.

Oh yeah I remember! Thank you
Original post by Mahrez
For a disadvantage of nuclear doesn't it have a long start up time?

I put that as well and i said it produces radioactive waste but im not sure if they'll accept the first one.
I think the grade boundaries will be:
50 A*
40 A
29 B
19 C
could you have room temperature for the control variable?

a response would be much appreciated :-)
Original post by ma77tyLG9
could you have room temperature for the control variable?

a response would be much appreciated :-)

I believe the question did say other than volume or temperature.
Reply 231
Original post by oliviasanders1
I think you're meant to take it away from 100 to get 78 :frown:

your are, don't worry 78 is right because it said 'heat transferred from liquid to ...... where ever it was, and then asked about it the liquids temp. so don't worry u are right
What do you guys think the Grade Boundaries will be?
Original post by Mahrez
50 A*
40 A
29 B
19 C

personally I do not think it will ever be 50 , I think between 46-48 for a*
For the question on the first 100 seconds, I think I got something like 0.064 due to how in interpreted the graph... Will this be ok?
Reply 235
Original post by Mahrez
50 A*
40 A
29 B
19 C

meh it think more likely to be 47/48 A*
and then 38/39 A
and then 28 B
etc
personally I do not think it will ever be 50 , I think between 46-48 for a*

Last year was 50 and i felt the difficulty was the same?
Original post by Mahrez
Last year was 50 and i felt the difficulty was the same?

last year was 47 for a*, not 50.
Reply 238
Original post by PrinceKian
Hi would I get marks for saying electromagnetic radiation instead of CMBR. Also, would I get marks for saying nature of the surface of the mug for the energy transfer question, and would I get marks for saying windflow for the control variable for the evaporation question

I think there was a question where it asked about temp decrease, and i think you had to find out the gradient, so you drew a triangle on the graph and it was like -9/100 and i think (probably wrong) but answer was 0.09 decrease per second
Can someone please answer my above Q's, it would be very much appreciated

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending