The Student Room Group

OCR BIOLOGY GATEWAY B 25TH MAY 2016 B1 B2 B3 Exam

Scroll to see replies

Original post by livsney
My friend got 0% for the thumb one:
She said that Tt means they are a carrier like the father, and for them to get the disease it would have to be TT.

I got 50% though!!!

It said club thumbs was dominant, so only 1 of the alleles was needed for the characteristic to be present. So Tt and TT would be present, but TT is impossible, as the mother didn't have club thumbs, so it was 50%
Original post by samg2
I was hesitant to put down blind trial because that's when the subject does not know if they're getting the placebo or drug but it said, even though the scientists lied, all were told they were getting a specific thing.

Anyone else the same?

Yeah same, they were told something and a blind trial is if they were told nothing at all I'm pretty sure

Original post by U-GradeStudent
Ecological niche question?? I just wrote because they live in similar areas.. What did others get?

Said they lived in the same habitat

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dragomir_Despard
What di people have as the advantages of the trees???

Advantages:
Mass produce trees quickly from just one seed
won't waste time and money growing duds from seeds as you can be sure that the clones will have the same feature as the parent plant
Disadvantages:
Genetic Variation problems with change in environment / new disease
Build up of harmful genetic disorders due to reduction in the gene pool

I explained all of this in more detail obviously, but what would you guys predict I would out of 6 get with these points? I'm thinking some of them are not relevant
Reply 223
This years paper was harder than last years weren't it?
Original post by UsKmekwioz
50/75 was an a*
Original post by k4mr4n7861
i thought the one about the thumbs was none because the mum and dad had normal thumbs

i got none aswell
Original post by AA11AAA
This years paper was harder than last years weren't it?

I'd say so yeah
Reply 226
So the grade boudary should be somewhere around 46-50

I'd say so yeah
Original post by notarealname2000
Advantages:
Mass produce trees quickly from just one seed
won't waste time and money growing duds from seeds as you can be sure that the clones will have the same feature as the parent plant
Disadvantages:
Genetic Variation problems with change in environment / new disease
Build up of harmful genetic disorders due to reduction in the gene pool

I explained all of this in more detail obviously, but what would you guys predict I would out of 6 get with these points? I'm thinking some of them are not relevant

I'm not sure about that advantage, as it asked for advantages for the FOREST not just general advantages. It clones itself, as opposed to humans cloning it.
Original post by frueky
I thought the paper was very vague and I hadn't seen questions in that style before…

My school compiles all questions from 2012 onwards on each module (including Chemistry and Physics) into a booklets for revision so I thought that this paper would be a breeze because I had done so much practise, but now I'm not sure where I stand.

Also, I'm kind of annoyed at how simple the topics were. In a sense it was easy, but if I've spent three years of my life studying for it to come down to one hour and fifteen minutes, I want it to be worthwhile! Where was the nitrogen cycle and protein synthesis? I wanted the hardcore questions I studied so hard for!

Ye i agree 100% i felt like not lot of scientific knowledge was tested, including most of the 6 markers there was not alot to write about. Really annoys me :/
Original post by AA11AAA
So the grade boudary should be somewhere around 46-50

Yeah, and about 8 less marks for each grade you go down
Original post by oliviamarie16
i got none aswell

It was 50% because for a condition caused by a dominant allele to be expressed, you only need the dominant allele to be present (so in that case TT or Tt)
I think it was Tt Tt tt tt so 50%

Posted from TSR Mobile
Will be interesting to see what the B4,5 and 6 is gonna be like.
so was the b2 6 marker 2% or 5%???
Original post by xox_charlotte
so was the b2 6 marker 2% or 5%???

2% I think
Original post by ThomasRules
How did everyone find that heart question? I got D, as that was the right ventricle on the left side of the page, but due to the mirror thing pumped blood around the body.

Ye i got that first part, but the other part of that question threw me off. i think it was something about heart surgery
Original post by ThomasRules
2% I think

good!! i got that
What did everyone say for the first 6 marker (about the drug trial). I needed extra space because there was so much to write but idk if its all relevent :tongue:
Reply 237
What are the predicitions on the grade boundries?
i shall get full marks in the b4 5 6 paper I declare it
Reply 239
Its going to be much harder
Will be interesting to see what the B4,5 and 6 is gonna be like.

Quick Reply

Latest