The Student Room Group

OCR A2 CHEMISTRY F324 and F325- 14th and 22nd June 2016- OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Original post by chanda01
Unit 4 as in F324?
F324 is a really nice paper as long as you know your stuff. Make sure you know the spec inside out and then practice papers! Practice lots of NMR and Synthesis. Make sure you know which groups can react with which substances so you can apply this in synthesis.

what do you mean with synthesis? like polymers? :colondollar:
Reply 301
Original post by ranz

Synthesis as in methods to synthesise particular groups with particular stereochemistry.

E.g. to synthesise ethanol from ethanal you would use something like sodium borohydride.

There aren't many you have to remember for A Level.
Hey guys, if a question is asking for partial pressure of a molecule in an equilbrium, what does that mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ranz

Synthesis is all your organic reactions etc. You could be given a molecule in the exam, or maybe two, and asked to make one out of the other and display a series of steps to get to the end molecule by including any intermediates, reagents and conditions. Sometimes they walk you through it like they did on last years' paper, or sometimes they just put in a 5-7, maybe more, marker question in and you just have to do from beginning to end yourself.
Reply 304
Original post by chanda01
Synthesis is all your organic reactions etc. You could be given a molecule in the exam, or maybe two, and asked to make one out of the other and display a series of steps to get to the end molecule by including any intermediates, reagents and conditions. Sometimes they walk you through it like they did on last years' paper, or sometimes they just put in a 5-7, maybe more, marker question in and you just have to do from beginning to end yourself.

ah yess, like producing azo dyes, im struggling with naming 😭 in unit 5 im struggling with transition metals, that last qs, i till now dont know what colours and reactions im meant to know of t.m ive learnt a bunch but worried im missing one out

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 305
What metal ion forms a colourless complex ion [XCl4]3-
Reply 306
If you're given a compound e.g (NH4)2PtCl6
How to work out the complex ion present?
Does anyone know how to do F325 June 2015 question 4eiii?

After calculating the moles of magnesium, I don't understand how to get the next 2 marks, what does the mark scheme mean by calculating the moles/concentrations for C2H5COOH and C2H5COO Can anyone explain how to do this question.
Original post by cr7alwayz
Does anyone know how to do F325 June 2015 question 4eiii?

After calculating the moles of magnesium, I don't understand how to get the next 2 marks, what does the mark scheme mean by calculating the moles/concentrations for C2H5COOH and C2H5COO Can anyone explain how to do this question.

Hey, so you add 0.25 moles of magnesium to the buffer and the following reaction takes place:
Mg + 2C2H5COOH > (C2H5COO-)2Mg2+ + H2
The stoichiometric ratio of magnesium to the weak acid and salt is 1:2 so (0.25 * 2) moles of the weak acid are 'used up' and (0.25 *2) moles of the salt are produced. I think in the question, the buffer has equal quantities of the salt and weak acid, so the new ratio of HA/A- is 0.50/1.50

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks, I think I understand what you mean. I've never seen a buffer question like that one before, need more practice with ones like that
Anyone have the 2015 papers? Thanks in advance!
Reply 311
Original post by marioman
Not sure if these have been posted yet.

June 2015 F321: Paper | Mark Scheme
June 2015 F322: Paper | Mark Scheme
June 2015 F324: Paper | Mark Scheme
June 2015 F325: Paper | Mark Scheme

here the papers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 312
image.jpeg

Can anyone explain this pls
Original post by AqsaMx
image.jpeg

Can anyone explain this pls

Your first answer looks right to me.

Henderson-Hasselbalch equation:

pH = pKa + log(A-/HA)

3 = 4 + log(A-/HA)

log(A-/HA) = -1

So the ratio must be 1/10 as 10^-1 = 1/10

Your second answer would be the opposite so 10/1 as you need log(A-/HA) = 1.

I think anyway, I could be missing something.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 314
Original post by thad33
Your first answer looks right to me.

Henderson-Hasselbalch equation:

pH = pKa + log(A-/HA)

3 = 4 + log(A-/HA)

log(A-/HA) = -1

So the ratio must be 1/10 as 10^-1 = 1/10

Your second answer would be the opposite so 10/1 as you need log(A-/HA) = 1.

I think anyway, I could be missing something.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks!
Reply 315
Can someone explain why the reaction between phenol and Na is classed as a redox/reduction reduction, is it become the Carbon oxidation number decreases??
Reply 316
image.jpg

Can anyone explain why CH3CH2COCl hydrolysed more readily than CH3CH2CH2Cl??
Did a mock for F324 today - it was the June 2015 paper. RIP.
Original post by itsConnor_

:console:
Original post by itsConnor_

How did it go? I also did it recently and I thought it was hard, but the difficulty was a bit over-hyped.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending