Inns of Court GDL Scholarships

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by pjs736_student
bump

Assuming no-one has heard anything?!

Nope :frown:
Reply 21
Neither :/ are we assuming this means we've not been shortlisted, they didn't say if they'd let us know either way?
Original post by Sh444
Neither :/ are we assuming this means we've not been shortlisted, they didn't say if they'd let us know either way?

According to the Gray's website, last year they had 35 applications and interviewed 21. So one would hope they could manage to reject by email if it comes to that!
Reply 23
Any advice for people that haven't yet applied, guys?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hockeyjoe
Any advice for people that haven't yet applied, guys?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not sure qualified to give advice unless successful... and deadline has passed for this year.
Gray's interviews out.
I've got a GDL scholarship interview at Inner Temple in a few weeks and they have given no guidelines on what the questions could be. Does any one have any idea at all whatsoever?! I'm assuming they will ask why you want to be a barrister but beyond that I'm completely in the dark.
Hi Joe (and all interested parties),

I am a Middle Temple scholar (Major scholarships for both the GDL and BPTC). To address your question on displaying motivation to succeed at the Bar pre-GDL, I really think demonstrating any effort you have made to understand the Bar and the law is sufficient. No one is saying you have to be a complete legal wiz - they don't expect that at all. Undertaking mini pupillages, speaking to barristers, going on court visits...all pretty obvious, but all very good. Whatever you do, keep note of things you find interesting so you can pull them out of your armoury when need be. In terms of legal knowledge, I strongly recommend the radio 4 podcast/show, "law in action". Perhaps you have heard of it. If you have a clear opinion about a recent development in law (or two) that will come across very well. Choose things that really float your boat - something that intersects with your non-law undergrad perhaps? Debating is always a good idea, as inns interviews invariably test your ability to argue convincingly and your ability to communicate your thoughts and opinions succinctly. If you have an opportunity to volunteer with any charities or community groups that require advocates, I recommend you seize that opportunity. Any applied advocacy - legal or non legal - demonstrates some sort of commitment.

I realise that none of what I've recommended is earth shatteringly revelatory, but none of this is really over complicated.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions. All the very best of luck!
Reply 28
Original post by wow_and_flutter
Hi Joe (and all interested parties),

I am a Middle Temple scholar (Major scholarships for both the GDL and BPTC). To address your question on displaying motivation to succeed at the Bar pre-GDL, I really think demonstrating any effort you have made to understand the Bar and the law is sufficient. No one is saying you have to be a complete legal wiz - they don't expect that at all. Undertaking mini pupillages, speaking to barristers, going on court visits...all pretty obvious, but all very good. Whatever you do, keep note of things you find interesting so you can pull them out of your armoury when need be. In terms of legal knowledge, I strongly recommend the radio 4 podcast/show, "law in action". Perhaps you have heard of it. If you have a clear opinion about a recent development in law (or two) that will come across very well. Choose things that really float your boat - something that intersects with your non-law undergrad perhaps? Debating is always a good idea, as inns interviews invariably test your ability to argue convincingly and your ability to communicate your thoughts and opinions succinctly. If you have an opportunity to volunteer with any charities or community groups that require advocates, I recommend you seize that opportunity. Any applied advocacy - legal or non legal - demonstrates some sort of commitment.

I realise that none of what I've recommended is earth shatteringly revelatory, but none of this is really over complicated.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions. All the very best of luck!

Great post! Thank you for taking the time to share.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're welcome. Also, about most chambers requiring you to have begun your legal studies to be eligible for minis...I did 5 minis before my GDL. Perhaps it's different outside London, but certainly many chambers in London will not discriminate against those who have not commenced their legal studies. Perhaps look for chambers that require application by way of covering letter and CV? Or drop an email to the clerks if you're concerned about whether or not you fit the chambers criteria - they may make an exception if you don't!
Reply 30
Original post by georgiaesme
I've got a GDL scholarship interview at Inner Temple in a few weeks and they have given no guidelines on what the questions could be. Does any one have any idea at all whatsoever?! I'm assuming they will ask why you want to be a barrister but beyond that I'm completely in the dark.

How was the interview?
Reply 31
With the Financial declaration do you need to send in your bank statements? What's to stop someone saying they have £0.00 when they're rolling in it?
Reply 32
Did you have to send in your bank statements or anything like that before you were actually given the money? Or do they send it direct to your Uni?
Original post by Wiggy88
Did you have to send in your bank statements or anything like that before you were actually given the money? Or do they send it direct to your Uni?

For Inner Temple, you don't have to provide any bank statements etc, and they pay the money directly to you - you can use it for your fees, or for whatever else.
Reply 34
Did any of you receive an "unsuccessful" letter from the Inner Temple?
I am trying to figure out if the reason they gave me in the letter is generic or specific. It says "The Inn has limited funds to allocate to scholarships and on this occasion other applicants have demonstrated a stronger claim to the Inn's money".
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 35
I interviewed for a GDL scholarship at Lincoln's on 1st July. Has anyone heard anything yet? I got a Hardwicke award before the interview but am dying to hear about the big ones.
Reply 36
Original post by 1curious
I interviewed for a GDL scholarship at Lincoln's on 1st July. Has anyone heard anything yet? I got a Hardwicke award before the interview but am dying to hear about the big ones.

Lincoln's GDL Decisions came out today.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending