The Student Room Group

New concept of public transport from China

[video="youtube;LeLAidJl5aw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeLAidJl5aw[/video]

why haven't anyone thought of this before???
Original post by HucktheForde

Having experienced Chinese traffic first hand, the one place in the world this won't work is China. That model is way off. For a start, most roads in major cities are totally gridlocked with taxis driving wherever they like. This requires a sense of order. Something that doesn't exist on Chinese roads.
I think this is a very interesting idea and would actually be very good concept for many poorer countries with big cities that suffer from traffic but where the infrastructure needed for subways or trains and such is far too expensive. This would provide a good alternative for them.

The only issue I do foresee is that people would need to stay within their lanes as anybody crossing over or hogging multiple lanes would block the vehicle from passing. Although at 0:16 seconds, the vehicle appears to running on a slightly raised track which might solve that problem. The other issue is that of blind spots. If a small kid runs out, what are the chances of the child being spotted by the driver?
How do you cross lanes if you are in a car?
I can see major safety issues
Original post by ODES_PDES
How do you cross lanes if you are in a car?
I can see major safety issues

Would need to be wider than the actual road so all lanes are still available for the cars for it to work really. Of course it's also going to have to be pretty damn tall since the highest of lorries/transporters will need to be able to pass underneath...but then it'll also need to be able to go under any bridges. You'd need to re-work a lot of infrastructure for sure. Then you have the fact that although you'd hope people would be good enough drivers, would someone not paying attention then getting startled as a giant shadow/underside of this thing passes over them and cause an incident.
Original post by HucktheForde
[video="youtube;LeLAidJl5aw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeLAidJl5aw[/video]

They have, that concept has been doing the rounds on the internet since long before the Chinese picked it up.

It's an interesting idea but would require a ton of road works and other stuff to make room for it (especially because that virtual model is too low for typical road traffic), and I believe a sudden huge shadowy object looming over drivers would lead to accidents.

Nobody has made a prototype yet, so nothing news worthy here.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending