The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Physics P1 unofficial mark scheme

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
For why France uses nuclear, I wrote that because they make more than they use, they can sell the amount of energy that they don't use. Therefore, the can make money.
Original post by redsoules
Sorry. It asked for TEMPERATURE CHANGE not the actual temp. It was 22oC

Well ****. This is what I thought It asked anyway? It gave SHC, what we needed to find out what the temperature difference. and the difference was 22. From my calculations anyway??

No it asked for temperature not temperature change
Reply 83
But didn't you have to minus 22 again? I thought the answer was for only 1 hour so you had to minus it again.........or am I being stupid?
Original post by caseyforbes11
I'm scared now haha, I wrote 78 degrees as I thought you did 100-22 which gives you 78 degrees

Yes that is right
Reply 85
Original post by SugarBubbles2000
Temperature after 2 hours was 78 degrees Celsius

But didn't you have to minus the 22 again? I thought the answer from the equation gave you the difference after 1 hour so wouldn't you minus 22 again to get it after 2 hours?.......or have I been stupid?
Original post by redsoules
Sorry. It asked for TEMPERATURE CHANGE not the actual temp. It was 22oC

Well ****. This is what I thought It asked anyway? It gave SHC, what we needed to find out what the temperature difference. and the difference was 22. From my calculations anyway??

Yep I got 22 Degrees too 🙂
Reply 87
Original post by 11alexandru-kore
For the speed I got 0.34m/s because the formula is speed(m/s)=frequency(Hz)x wavelength(m)
so its 0.0136m X 25Hz=0.34m/s?

340m/s... the frequency was given in kHz so you had to x1000 to get it in Hz
Original post by Resty
340m/s... the frequency was given in kHz so you had to x1000 to get it in Hz

Yh I got that aswell cuz the frequency was kHz
Original post by dangerouswoman
I put 22 degrees celsius as well. So was it 22 or 78?!

I got 22
Reply 90
Original post by x_rizma_x
I got 22

Question asked for the final temperature of the beaker after 2 hours so I'm afraid you had to subtract 22 from 100 to get the final temperature.
Reply 91
Original post by Rhian2k
But didn't you have to minus the 22 again? I thought the answer from the equation gave you the difference after 1 hour so wouldn't you minus 22 again to get it after 2 hours?.......or have I been stupid?

The equation was not about time at all, I think time came into the next one to do with power.

This was just the specific heat capacity for the whole transfer. If that makes sense
Reply 92
Anyone else pleased with themselves after seeing this mark scheme?:biggrin:
Reply 93
Original post by b.wldn
Anyone else pleased with themselves after seeing this mark scheme?:biggrin:

I'm happy with a lot of it a few silly marks
For the volume question surely the surface area is not affected by the volume if they are using the same equipment, therefore decreasing volume will have no effect on the rate of evaporation?
For nuclear power plant disadvantages could you have they produce nuclear waste and acid rain and they cost a lot to build and to hire workers ? Only two I could think of 😂
Reply 96
Original post by Ollie1999
Some hard some easy let's get a mark scheme compiled

1. Frequency determines pitch (1)

2. Echo (1)

3. The sound waves bends (1)

4. Waves length larger/equal to than the bat (1)

5. Longitudinal wave: Vibrates/oscillations parallel (90°) to the energy transfer (2)

6. Communications of:
1. Infra red - remote controls (1)
2. Microwaves - mobile phones/satellite (1)

7. Both microwaves and infrared radiation: (2)
1. Transverse waves
2. Travel at the speed of light in a vacuum

8. CMBR (1)

9. Provides evidence for the big bang theory (1)

10. It's not economical because: (2)
1. Small village (very few people)/remote location so connecting to the national grid is not economically viable/profitable
2. Micro generation has a higher efficiency of generation
3. They live on mountains so cables would need to travel very far to connect to them (lots of energy loss)

11. Wind turbines vs Hydroelectric generator: (6)
1. Wind more expensive (£50,000) than hydroelectric (£20,000)
2. Wind generated the most (10 KW) than hydroelectric (8KW)
3. Hydroelectric provides constant energy so more reliable whereas wind varies so not as reliable.
4. Hydroelectric generators ruin the habitat.
5. Wind turbines visual pollution/eye sore.

12. The heat escapes into the surrounding so not all the heat is received by the food/very little useful energy. (2)

13. Fins - increased surface area so more particles are exposed to to heat (1)

14. Black metal - absorbs infra red radiation so heats better/metal is a good conductor of heat (1)

15. As you increase the temperature, the rate of which it emits infra-red radiation will increase (because of a bigger temperature increase) (2)

16. Vacuum in kettle prevents heat loss through conduction and convection (2)

17. Temp. change = 46,200 / 0.5x4,200 = 22, New temp. = 100-22 = 78° (3)

18. Useful energy = 0.15 x 3.2 = 0.48KJ (2)

19. P = E/t = 46,200 / 2 x 60 x 60 = 6.4 W (2)

20. France would continue using nuclear power because: (2)
1. It's the cheapest the generate
2. It provides the largest amount of energy (and extra could he sold for profits)

21. Disadvantages of nuclear stations: (2)
1. Radioactive waste
2. Expensive to decommission
3. Very dangerous, if explosions occur, people could die/get serious illnesses

22. When the efficiency increases by just 5%, it costs an extra £17.50 to manufacture, which is expensive and eventually not be economically viable/profitable. (2)
(The same comment can be made about the £40 per square meter one with only 10% increase and 8x more expensive)

23. Control Variable: (1)
1. The volume of the containers are the same
2. Airflow in the room
3. Temperature of the surroundings
4. Anything else about the beaker being the same ie width thickness material
24. Data logger vs Thermometer: (2)
1. Higher resolution (decimal points) (Aka more accurate)
2. Displays the numbers so more precise as it reduces estimation from reading the thermometer
3. Creates a graph
4. Updates quicker

25. 20-13.25 / 100 = 0.0675 °/s (2)

26. They all decreased at a decreasing rate (1)

27. A because it decreased in temperature the least (2)

28. Decreasing the volume increases the surface area so more evaporation meaning it will lose temperature quicker. (1)

29. Particles in the water with the highest kinetic energy are able to break the intermolecular forces between the particles/escape the liquid thus reducing the overall kinetic energy of the water. This causes it to cool down. (3)

30. Factors of heat transfer to coffee: (2)
1. The amount of energy the heater receives
2. The temperature of the room

31. The heater heats the bottom of the glass, making the particles vibrate/gain kinetic energy, which pass on to the neighbouring particles until the whole bottom of the glass is heated. (3)

32. Particles near the heater gain kinetic energy so they become less dense and rise. They displace the cooler, more dense particles which then sink. These then gain kinetic energy, decrease density and rise and this continues as convection currents. (4)uction , convection.

Hey can you do one for aqa as new spec 24th may physics paper 1 plz
WAS IT A, B or C
Reply 98
Original post by Jfm9898
Hey can you do one for aqa as new spec 24th may physics paper 1 plz
I don't do AS sorry lmao
Reply 99
Original post by Azarhuntttt
For nuclear power plant disadvantages could you have they produce nuclear waste and acid rain and they cost a lot to build and to hire workers ? Only two I could think of 😂

Yeah that would work
Original post by GeorgeMillerr
WAS IT A, B or C

Was what A B or C?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending