The Student Room Group

Latin Verse Set Text - the Aeneid (Tomorrow)

Hi all :smile:

Just wondering if anyone wanted to discuss/have questions about tomorrow's paper? I'm revising it now...

Good luck to anyone doing maths as well (and to everyone who completed an awful physics paper this afternoon...)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No one?
Reply 2
Hi I'm doing it! I only know the english translation - would you suggest any methods I can do tonight to match this up with the latin?
any help with language analysis?:frown:
Original post by asox
Hi I'm doing it! I only know the english translation - would you suggest any methods I can do tonight to match this up with the latin?

Make flashcards? or just break the latin into sections to match with the English? or highlight English words and their matching latin words in the same colour?
Reply 5
Original post by asox

Hey!

As there's not much time, I would focus on a) knowing the English translation as best as you can and b) making sure you know words that you might use in a content/style analysis first. After that, go through and fill in the gaps. (eg, Nisus is 'acerrimus armis' - very fierce in his armour - uses a superlative)

Best of luck - if you get stuck in the exam, think about the english translation and work out in the latin which words are verbs/nouns/adjectives etc - hopefully you'll be able to piece together which is which.
Reply 6
Original post by maddddddie
any help with language analysis?:frown:

Any section in particular?
what kind of things can you talk about in the 10 mark passage analysis? I'm panicking!
Reply 8
what kind of things can you talk about in the 10 mark passage analysis? I'm panicking!

First of all - it can mostly be content. Aim for six pieces of content: eg 'Virgil writes that 'his amor unus erat' (there was to these men one love) showing the close connection between Nisus and Euryalus).

Then aim for at least two (preferably 3-4) pieces of style, such as: Virgil uses plosive alliteration in the phrase: 'percipe porro' (moreover listen) to stress how Nisus is getting Euryalus' attention (dodgy point, but you get the idea)

If you're worried, keep it simple. You don't have to use fancy words - 'contrast' and 'repetition' does the same as 'antithesis' and 'polysyndeton/anaphora'.

Also, use style to support content. Not the other way around.

Best of luck - you'll be fine!
Original post by metellaest
Any section in particular?

what kind of things can you analyse is it enough just to say language eg pierced through is brutal?
First of all - it can mostly be content. Aim for six pieces of content: eg 'Virgil writes that 'his amor unus erat' (there was to these men one love) showing the close connection between Nisus and Euryalus).

Then aim for at least two (preferably 3-4) pieces of style, such as: Virgil uses plosive alliteration in the phrase: 'percipe porro' (moreover listen) to stress how Nisus is getting Euryalus' attention (dodgy point, but you get the idea)

If you're worried, keep it simple. You don't have to use fancy words - 'contrast' and 'repetition' does the same as 'antithesis' and 'polysyndeton/anaphora'.

Also, use style to support content. Not the other way around.

Best of luck - you'll be fine!

Thanks very much :smile: I think the hardest thing is saying the effect of the pieces of style tbh
Thanks very much :smile: I think the hardest thing is saying the effect of the pieces of style tbh

I agree. I think just make it simple, logical - and always refer back to the question! Relevance is very important.
any predictions for tomorrow?
I agree. I think just make it simple, logical - and always refer back to the question! Relevance is very important.

true but its too easy just to say 'this makes it dramatic'
what kind of things can you analyse is it enough just to say language eg pierced through is brutal?

Well for a 10-marker, you need some style as well - but for certain questions, that should be enough for content provided you quote the latin and translate it accurately.

If you wanted some style for that:

‘confossus’ (pierced through); intensifying prefix [verb literally means ‘dug out’] gives a sense of just how pierced he is

true but its too easy just to say 'this makes it dramatic'

Yes - but 'this makes it dramatic because it emphasises the finality of Nisus' actions and stresses how he won't make it out alive' (or something, that's kind of a bad explanation) is enough.
Well for a 10-marker, you need some style as well - but for certain questions, that should be enough for content provided you quote the latin and translate it accurately.

If you wanted some style for that:

‘confossus’ (pierced through); intensifying prefix [verb literally means ‘dug out’] gives a sense of just how pierced he is

wow you know it in so much detail thank you
wow you know it in so much detail thank you

Not as much as you'd think - I just happened to have that one in my notes!
apparently the lion simile is due to come up...
My current points:
-hungry lion= hunger for violence/murder
-unfed= the battle has been going badly for a long time
-roars= they are only just realising their full potential
-packed sheep-pen= the men are defenceless/unconscious and there are lots of them with no escape
-bloody mouth=threatening

anything else? :smile:
apparently the lion simile is due to come up...
My current points:
-hungry lion= hunger for violence/murder
-unfed= the battle has been going badly for a long time
-roars= they are only just realising their full potential
-packed sheep-pen= the men are defenceless/unconscious and there are lots of them with no escape
-bloody mouth=threatening

anything else? :smile:

- in the phrase about the 'flock is soft and silent in fear' the sibilance of the 'm' sounds evokes the vulnerable nature of the sheep
- 'both gnaws and tears...roars' - combination of senses (two visual, one aural) makes the scene more vivid (dodgy point)
- there's a hyperbaton that places Nisus as a sheep among the 'full sheepfold'
- Nisus the lion roars the flock is silent - there is a clear antithesis

But that's about it I think!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending