The Student Room Group

Could i have done better for my age?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I don't really want to get to 30 and find I have done nothing. It's all well and good being frugal but it feels like being a serf.... -.-

I'm infamously frugal.. yet I've done so much over the past 10 years.

People are foolish if they think having amazing life experiences require alot of spending.
Original post by JavaScriptMaster
not hard for you but for me it's...

Spoiler

Original post by Reue
I'm infamously frugal.. yet I've done so much over the past 10 years.

People are foolish if they think having amazing life experiences require alot of spending.

No but money helps. If I want to ice climb in Scotland I need ice axes, crampons, mountain boots, good enough clothing so I don't freeze to death, travel expenses, probably a car, place to stay, a tent. All costs money.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 23
No but money helps. If I want to ice climb in Scotland I need ice axes, crampons, good enough clothing so I don't freeze to death, travel Expenses. All costs money.

Or you could volunteer with a mountain clean-up group and get all that for free, for example.
No but money helps. If I want to ice climb in Scotland I need ice axes, crampons, mountain boots, good enough clothing so I don't freeze to death, travel Expenses. All costs money.

Which is why if you're sensible with your earnings (if like I said you're lucky enough to have a job and few expenses) doing things like that every now and again shouldn't be a big dent in your budget. If you make sacrifices in some areas you can spend more in others.
Reply 25
Original post by SophieSmall

Original post by Reue
Or you could volunteer with a mountain clean-up group and get all that for free, for example.

Er... nope. If you want to winter climb at Ben Nevis you need your own stuff. It is probably possible to pay a guide and have them provide everything but that is mega expensive as it is.

Again the serf thing.... I don't want to have to ****ing work to be a clean up serf top go on a mountain. I do that stuff so I can be free. (This is someone who volunteers every week to do conservation stuff in the outdoors, which I can incidentally can only do because my retired parents will give me a lift as there is no public transport and I can not afford a car.)

Which is why if you're sensible with your earnings (if like I said you're lucky enough to have a job and few expenses) doing things like that every now and again shouldn't be a big dent in your budget. If you make sacrifices in some areas you can spend more in others.
I'm not happy being a serf!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 27
Er... nope. If you want to winter climb at Ben Nevis you need your own stuff. It is probably possible to pay a guide and have them provide everything but that is mega expensive as it is.

Again the serf thing.... I don't want to have to ****ing work to be a clean up serf top go on a mountain. I do that stuff so I can be free. (This is someone who volunteers every week to do conservation stuff in the outdoors, which I can incidentally can only do because my retired parents will give me a lift as there is no public transport and I can not afford a car.)

So you'd rather blow your cash but have to keep working a 9-5 to fund it?
Talking about how much you get payed, whilst i can't even find a part-time job. And my CV is the best out there.

Gonna go look for a job now.

And guess what helps you out of that situation? Being good with money, saving and being able to have some freedom later on because you have money to fall back on.

If you don't want to be a serf fair enough, no one wants to be. But don't complain about it if you're not willing to make any changes to your behaviour and spending habits to get you out of that situation.

or go play the lottery, you have about as much chance getting out of being a serf playing that as you do complaining about it.
And guess what helps you out of that situation? Being good with money, saving and being able to have some freedom later on because you have money to fall back on.

If you don't want to be a serf fair enough, no one wants to be. But don't complain about it if you're not willing to make any changes to your behaviour and spending habits to get you out of that situation.

or go play the lottery, you have about as much chance getting out of being a serf playing that as you do complaining about it.

Fine then. I'll develop some kind of Stockholm syndrome and fall in love with my lot. -.-
Fine then. I'll develop some kind of Stockholm syndrome and fall in love with my lot. -.-

Not remotely what I was talking about...but sure.
Original post by Reue
So you'd rather blow your cash but have to keep working a 9-5 to fund it?

Why is a mountain clean up going to give me ice axes and all the equipment to go climb a winter route?

Going on holiday to Scotland is not too much to ask. Mountains are not privatised yet and are currently free.

I don;t see the point in working if I never get to do my hobbies. I want to climb things when I am at my physical peak. I fully intend to still be doing stuff like that in my 50s and older but I am not waiting until then to start doing it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Not remotely what I was talking about...but sure.

It's that or go mad :2euk48l:
Reply 34
Why is a mountain clean up going to give me ice axes and all the equipment to go climb a winter route?

Going on holiday to Scotland is not too much to ask. Mountains are not privatised yet and are currently free.

I don;t see the point in working if I never get to do my hobbies. I want to climb things when I am at my physical peak. I fully intend to still be doing stuff like that in my 50s and older but I am not waiting until then to start doing it.

Its gone from being an excessively expensive trip to now being not much to ask?

My definition on serfdom would be working until you're 69 and then surviving on state pension. You perhaps see things differently in which case go ahead and spend all your money now...

Well to be fair mountain equipment isn't something you need to buy every time you go, they should last a long time and not need replacing all the time. So it's just a high start up cost. They should last you many trips

It can actually be really cheap to travel to Scotland, I've been several times. Cheapest open return ticket I got from Liverpool which is not that far from you was £30. And I've stayed at BnBs as cheap as £30 a night all over Scotland. Not like it costs a fortune.

If you're smart with your money like I have said numerous times, there is no reason you can't do these things. Sacrifice in some areas so you can afford to do the things you want. It's not rocket science.
However well you do, you can always do better. Thinking that way will drive you insane. Be happy instead :smile:
To be honest since they live with their parents and their only expenses are car, food and clothing they didn't do that great.

They spent on average £173 a week. That's more than I spend and I live away from home. (Assuming they were getting 16k post tax, they never clarified) if not then they were spending on average £134 a week which is about what I spend a week living away from home on rent, bills, food, transport ect.

They definitely could have done a lot better since their expenses are a lot lower.

You spend under £134 a week on rent? And have money to spare?
I've always wondered how people are able to save so much money effortlessly. I guess the key is not living in London :lol:
I'm saving up but have worked only three months since graduating. Already I could have saved another £2300 but decided to put £2000 of it towards repaying student debt, and £300 on non essentials.
Original post by Another
You spend under £134 a week on rent? And have money to spare?
I've always wondered how people are able to save so much money effortlessly. I guess the key is not living in London :lol:

Lol yeah there is life outside London you know.

Lol any time I hear someone say you can't possibly live on less they always live in London, like fair enough it's more expensive in London. But not everyone lives there! :tongue:

FYI my rent is 2.7k a year (house share so cheaper than renting my own place which would cost between 5-6k a year) and my bills for the year are about £500 (may be getting a rebate, think we have overpaid).

I plan to live in house shares for at least another 5 years once having a full time job, because for me it's the best of both worlds. It means I still get to have my freedom and independence (besides my mum has to move and there will be no space for me) and it's cheaper than living at alone...Besides I think I'd get really lonely living on my own. Already have my budget plans set up for different incomes and savings targets for the next 5 years....I enjoy to budget and plan I'm a complete saddo I know :lol:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending