The Student Room Group

Research and being an outsider

Hi everyone,

I'm finishing my final year in my undergraduate study in a social sciences program. I'm applying to graduate school next fall.

I really really want to study a topic related to a marginalized community in Canada but feel uncomfortable to do so because I am an "outsider". I feel torn because I do not want to do research that would only benefit me without giving something back to this community. I feel like an oppressor by wanting to study this topic yet this is something that I genuinely have interest for, I want to be an ally.

Any thoughts or anyone been in my shoes?
Original post by CanadianGirl2014
Hi everyone,

I'm finishing my final year in my undergraduate study in a social sciences program. I'm applying to graduate school next fall.

I really really want to study a topic related to a marginalized community in Canada but feel uncomfortable to do so because I am an "outsider". I feel torn because I do not want to do research that would only benefit me without giving something back to this community. I feel like an oppressor by wanting to study this topic yet this is something that I genuinely have interest for, I want to be an ally.

Any thoughts or anyone been in my shoes?

Would your research not be skewed by 'wanting to be an ally'?
Just go for it. If your work is good enough then you'll be fine. Do bear in mind that there will be sensitive issues you'll have to deal with though but any good supervisor and program will be able to give you advice and training on how to handle difficult situations.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending