The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA English Literature - June 2016 *Official Thread*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LNDNWASPS
how does that equate because isn't unit 1 45% and unit 2 is 30% so coursework (25% holds little weight)

I'm not sure, it's just what my teacher told me - I was literally one mark of an A for both exams once and she told me I'd still get an A*?

Didn't mean to give anyone false hope!
I found AIC difficult because I wanted to link my answer to Ouspensky and other deeper meaning such as the religious presence of the inspector but I just squeezed it into my answer oddly. and for OMAM, I had some good points but with little time. for the extract I said that the voices acted like one side of George's conscience, pointing the gun where Lennie's head and skull meet highlight how his mental disadvantages have cost him his life despite being physically capable of surviving in society. I predict THCM and In Paris with You for poetry and a place theme for the unseen poem.

Any predictions for relationships poetry and the theme/genre for the unseen poem?
What poems would you say are definitely/most likely not to come up for character and voice so I don't have to revise these as much
Is anyone else absolutely desperate for Brothers to come up for Relationships poetry?😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MeganMcAlister
Flag, Poppies, The Right Word, the Falling Leaves and Futility haven't came up in a few years!

Nor has Next to of course god america i, or belfast confetti
Original post by Lauraba
What poems would you say are definitely/most likely not to come up for character and voice so I don't have to revise these as much

Last year was Brendon Gallacher and My Last Duchess.
(edited 7 years ago)
Any tips for revising the conflict poems? :biggrin:
Original post by alicerose.j
Is anyone else absolutely desperate for Brothers to come up for Relationships poetry?😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

I like brothers but the poem is quite straightforward so there isn't a lot of in depth analysis to do. I would prefer it didn't come up but as a poem I really like the message.
Ahh.
I did the Gerald/Sheila question for AIC. I wrote about how Sheila was suspicious of Gerald at the start of the book - then went on to the bit where Gerald gives Sheila the engagement ring but she's quite childlike about it as she still asks for her mothers approval 'Look, Mummy!' and then I believe I finished on the fact that Sheila wouldn't accept the ring back at the end of the book. Didn't really have much time to re-read my answers.
Completely messed up my OMAM questions. For part a I had no clue what to write about - I put that they were discussing the American Dream, something Lennie was holding on to, and it made Lennie happy as he was 'giggling with happiness'. George wanted to make Lennie's last minutes on Earth happy. Also wrote about how George's hand shook when he raised the gun - shows how much he cared about him. Evokes sympathy in the reader as we are put into George's shoes. For part b I wrote about George/Lennie and Curley's wife. But, apparently it said in the question not to talk about George/Lennie? Is this true? It did also say 1 or 2 more characters but I did 3. Ooops. I wrote that Lennie was the only one holding onto the dream, as George didn't really believe in it. The quote 'blue and green and red rabbits' or something along those lines. I think I wrote about how Candy offered them money to get a place with them which made George more confident that it was going to happen but it ultimately got destroyed at the end. For Curley's Wife i wrote about how Lennie was the only one she could speak to as he would probably forget what she said soon enough. Didn't really write much for this bit as I ran out of time.
I'm really not feeling confident with my answers, though. I had no time at all to check over my answers, I was writing for every minute.

I'm doing character and voice on Friday. I'm hoping 'The Ruined Maid' and 'Give' come up.
Original post by lj42_m
Nor has Next to of course god america i, or belfast confetti

next to god of course america i came up in January 2013 so it's recent enough, however Belfast Confetti hasnt came up since June 2011
Original post by ellielouxse
Ahh.
I did the Gerald/Sheila question for AIC. I wrote about how Sheila was suspicious of Gerald at the start of the book - then went on to the bit where Gerald gives Sheila the engagement ring but she's quite childlike about it as she still asks for her mothers approval 'Look, Mummy!' and then I believe I finished on the fact that Sheila wouldn't accept the ring back at the end of the book. Didn't really have much time to re-read my answers.
Completely messed up my OMAM questions. For part a I had no clue what to write about - I put that they were discussing the American Dream, something Lennie was holding on to, and it made Lennie happy as he was 'giggling with happiness'. George wanted to make Lennie's last minutes on Earth happy. Also wrote about how George's hand shook when he raised the gun - shows how much he cared about him. Evokes sympathy in the reader as we are put into George's shoes. For part b I wrote about George/Lennie and Curley's wife. But, apparently it said in the question not to talk about George/Lennie? Is this true? It did also say 1 or 2 more characters but I did 3. Ooops. I wrote that Lennie was the only one holding onto the dream, as George didn't really believe in it. The quote 'blue and green and red rabbits' or something along those lines. I think I wrote about how Candy offered them money to get a place with them which made George more confident that it was going to happen but it ultimately got destroyed at the end. For Curley's Wife i wrote about how Lennie was the only one she could speak to as he would probably forget what she said soon enough. Didn't really write much for this bit as I ran out of time.
I'm really not feeling confident with my answers, though. I had no time at all to check over my answers, I was writing for every minute.

I'm doing character and voice on Friday. I'm hoping 'The Ruined Maid' and 'Give' come up.

i did the exact same as you omg!! for part a and part b except i wrote about crooks instead of curleys wife! Yeah apparently, we werent supposed to write about george and lennies dream because it said 'other' and so i legit flopped!!!did it say the word other, i was in such a rush, i didnt have time to think haha! and im doing character and voice too and think those poems are going to come up!
I know that the question said choose one or two characters so even if you just talked about one character you would be able to get full marks on the question, even if George/Lennie was not allowed you (and I lol) did Curleys wife which is fine. Plus the question didn't mention other characters anyway, the sentence about Lennies dream before the actual question was just a prompt to set the scene as aqa call at for the question.
Who's doing the character and voice cluster? Any predictions?
Original post by Revision738266
Any predictions on conflict poems?

Okay so The Falling Leaves, Flag, and The Right Word have never come up, but that's not to say it will be one of these... Bayonet Charge has been done twice and so has Mametz Wood so it is unlikely to be one of these two.
How are you revising???
Original post by sophxxs
Hi sorry but this is stresing me the hell out, yknow how it said 'leave at least two lines between each answer', i left about 3 between LOTF and OMAM but between part a and b of OMAM I didnt will that lose me marks? or will the examiner know what im getting at when I started talking about the rest of the book?

wait it said that?? Well shite
Original post by mairossanna
wait it said that?? Well shite

Don't worry - I didn't leave gaps in between my RS exam and i started panicking, but apparently they say it for our benefit just incase we wanted to add anything else. I'm sure it won't affect your marks :smile:
Original post by echebben
Don't worry - I didn't leave gaps in between my RS exam and i started panicking, but apparently they say it for our benefit just incase we wanted to add anything else. I'm sure it won't affect your marks :smile:

ah thank you! I was worried about that but now I'm not too much... thank you :smile:
Original post by mairossanna
Okay so The Falling Leaves, Flag, and The Right Word have never come up, but that's not to say it will be one of these... Bayonet Charge has been done twice and so has Mametz Wood so it is unlikely to be one of these two.
How are you revising???

I really don't know how to revise for poems?? I'm planning on rereading through my annotations and try to learn them, I might do a past paper and see how I do. Good luck!!
Original post by echebben
I really don't know how to revise for poems?? I'm planning on rereading through my annotations and try to learn them, I might do a past paper and see how I do. Good luck!!

I'm thinking past papers too?? Good luck to you too! :smile:
predictions for relationships cluster???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending