The Student Room Group

Biology AQA New spec AS-level specimen paper 7401/1

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rayofsunshine98
Resigned to the fact that I'm going to fail biology. I have English lit tomorrow morning and I only get a 2 hour break... Plus I keep making silly mistakes which are costing me like 3 grades per paper

Same here but I have quite a large break between exams - my morning exam is only an hour (until 10:30) and the next one starts 2pm.
a few from our school have resigned from the exam and its SOO UNFAIR! As the rest of us didn't have the choice. ****ing piece of **** school
Original post by sgill23
a few from our school have resigned from the exam and its SOO UNFAIR! As the rest of us didn't have the choice. ****ing piece of **** school

You're gonna do fine. Just focus and make the most of your few hours this evening and then get some nice sleep. The exam is at 13:20 so you will have a good few hours in the school day to do some questions.
Does anybody have any predictions for tomorrow?
Also is the first paper more practical based and the second more knowledge based?
Original post by Sanniabir
Does anybody have any predictions for tomorrow?
Also is the first paper more practical based and the second more knowledge based?

There will be no long answer questions on the first paper and instead there will be data analysis/comprehension questions at the end.

Source: http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/science/as-and-a-level/biology-7401-7402/specification-at-a-glance
When are you meant to use a line of best fit and straight lines between points on a graphs in biology?
Original post by Basically-Banter
When are you meant to use a line of best fit and straight lines between points on a graphs in biology?

Good question - We've always been told to draw dot-to-dot for biology. For one of our mocks there was a graph which had a blatant curve to it but we had to join it dot to dot. I had no idea why.

If anyone can clarify this too I would be most grateful.
Original post by CrazyFool229
Good question - We've always been told to draw dot-to-dot for biology. For one of our mocks there was a graph which had a blatant curve to it but we had to join it dot to dot. I had no idea why.

If anyone can clarify this too I would be most grateful.

Hi!

Dot to dots are use for when the intermediate between valvues isn't known...

for example for a pH and enzyme value, you would have to use dot to dot because you don't know whether the values would actually follow the pattern in between your data.

However for something like total gas produced you can use a curve because you wont go from suddly 100cm3 to 50cm3 back to 200cm3 because once you have produced gas you can take it back...

really bad explanation but i hope this helps !
Original post by XxsciencemathsxX
Hi!

Dot to dots are use for when the intermediate between valvues isn't known...

for example for a pH and enzyme value, you would have to use dot to dot because you don't know whether the values would actually follow the pattern in between your data.

However for something like total gas produced you can use a curve because you wont go from suddly 100cm3 to 50cm3 back to 200cm3 because once you have produced gas you can take it back...

really bad explanation but i hope this helps !

No it was a great explanation! Thanks :biggrin:
when do you use spearman's rank, chi squared and t tests?
You're gonna do fine. Just focus and make the most of your few hours this evening and then get some nice sleep. The exam is at 13:20 so you will have a good few hours in the school day to do some questions.

I felt sick this evening so I haven't been able to do any revision today, so I'm gonna cram tomorrow before the exam. No time for qus... Thanks but when I'm averaging 50% in specimen papers I've got no hope
Original post by sgill23
when do you use spearman's rank, chi squared and t tests?

No idea about Spearmans (Unless that is another name for the correlation coeffcient test?)

Use Chi-Squared when comparing CATEGORIC DATA and if you want to see the DIFFERENCE between the OBSERVED and the EXPECTED results

T-Test when comparing the MEANS between TWO sets of data.
Original post by rayofsunshine98
Resigned to the fact that I'm going to fail biology. I have English lit tomorrow morning and I only get a 2 hour break... Plus I keep making silly mistakes which are costing me like 3 grades per paper

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same position I haven't revised English tho :'(

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sgill23
I felt sick this evening so I haven't been able to do any revision today, so I'm gonna cram tomorrow before the exam. No time for qus... Thanks but when I'm averaging 50% in specimen papers I've got no hope

That sucks. I really hope you get well soon :frown:
No idea about Spearmans (Unless that is another name for the correlation coeffcient test?)

Use Chi-Squared when comparing CATEGORIC DATA and if you want to see the DIFFERENCE between the OBSERVED and the EXPECTED results

T-Test when comparing the MEANS between TWO sets of data.

Do we need to know the formulas off by heart?

Spearman's is another correlation test. You only need to know one or the other.
All formulas are given. Even the index of biodiversity is given.

At AS Level you are not required to calculate the statistical tests. You only need to be able to analyse the data given and come up with a null hypothesis for example

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am sooo scared I am gonna fail this exam... :frown:
I know I did not put enough preparation.
Would I be able to pass if I do better in paper 2 and fail Paper 1?
everyone do badly kids lets get these grade boundaries nice and low!!
Either that went ok, or I found it fine cause I ********ed everything... Loads of people at my school hated it. How'd you guys find it?
I think it went well, it was a lot easier than I expected

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending