The Student Room Group

OCR Latin AS 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fablereader
Sorry, I can't remember where it was from. I know I saw sections that were in the late 30s (maybe 36-38), but that section didn't have the translation question. I have a vague recollection of seeing sections 28-30, but that may have been from the 2015 paper, not the 2016 paper (the one we just did). My memory is just going blank.

Edit: everyone else seems to be confirming sections 28-30 or thereabouts, so that's it. Now I actually remember, there was a style essay for that.

I remember where it was. I got the translation all right however for some reason I translated another two sentences that we weren't meant to translate. How many marks will be taken off from my answer or will they just not mark it
Original post by james..michael
I remember where it was. I got the translation all right however for some reason I translated another two sentences that we weren't meant to translate. How many marks will be taken off from my answer or will they just not mark it

I don't know. I've looked at the mark schemes for 2013-2014 (I don't have access to 2015), and they don't mention what are minor or major errors. The marker might just ignore it. Techinically you translated the sentences you were meant to (these are divided into three sections, each worth five marks), so the extra translation doesn't fit into any of those. So I think they'll just ignore it. It'll probably depend on the marker, or they might have some other piece of paper that says what to do in this situation. However, I can't see anything like that, so they'll probably just ignore it.

Sorry if I'm rambling, I'm a bit tired.
I don't know. I've looked at the mark schemes for 2013-2014 (I don't have access to 2015), and they don't mention what are minor or major errors. The marker might just ignore it. Techinically you translated the sentences you were meant to (these are divided into three sections, each worth five marks), so the extra translation doesn't fit into any of those. So I think they'll just ignore it. It'll probably depend on the marker, or they might have some other piece of paper that says what to do in this situation. However, I can't see anything like that, so they'll probably just ignore it.

No don't worry thank you so much! You don't think they will like completely ignore my answer do you? I'm really just asking for the worst case scenario haha

You may be tired, but I'd like to say that I really like your name: fablereader
I like it!
No don't worry thank you so much! You don't think they will like completely ignore my answer do you? I'm really just asking for the worst case scenario haha

They'll probably look at it and think, 'He deserves more marks for extra effort.'
Original post by stripedbox
You may be tired, but I'd like to say that I really like your name: fablereader
I like it!

I love books, I love reading. The name fits. Also, I like myths, so 'fable' is a good choice.

So I don't derail off the title subject, I put for the Bacchus essay that he was 'playful, kind to his followers and cruel to those who wronged him', with two examples in each paragraph. 'wronged' is probably the wrong word (OK, I did not mean for that repetition to happen), but I barely had time to finish all the questions, and didn't look them over.
They'll probably look at it and think, 'He deserves more marks for extra effort.'

No but honeStly do you think it's possible that they will give me 0 marks?
I love books, I love reading. The name fits. Also, I like myths, so 'fable' is a good choice.

So I don't derail off the title subject, I put for the Bacchus essay that he was 'playful, kind to his followers and cruel to those who wronged him', with two examples in each paragraph. 'wronged' is probably the wrong word (OK, I did not mean for that repetition to happen), but I barely had time to finish all the questions, and didn't look them over.

That sounds alright. Yeah well hopefully the boundaries are low, due to time we get
No but honeStly do you think it's possible that they will give me 0 marks?

They probably won't literally assign extra marks for the extra translation, but they won't say, 'OK, he's done extra along with the whole translation, so we'll give him no points,' if that's what you're asking. The argument behind that is flawed. You did the translation they wanted, so they'll judge you on that.
Original post by teenhorrorstory
For the ovid translation, would I lose a mark for keeping Liber as Liber instead of changing it to Bacchus? Liber is another name for Bacchus so I just left it

Any ideas?
Any ideas?

No idea -.i would think it's absolutely fine
Any ideas?

I'm not sure, but Liber is another name for Bacchus.(or rather, he became increasingly associated with Bacchus), so they'll probably allow it.

Pretty much the same here, though for some reason I also talked about how he wasn't kind to Autonoe/Ino and Pentheus' mother and so ended up not being able to draw a very strong conclusion :/
Original post by roarchika
Pretty much the same here, though for some reason I also talked about how he wasn't kind to Autonoe/Ino and Pentheus' mother and so ended up not being able to draw a very strong conclusion :/

My conclusion was quite short and I essentially just said that he was a very complicated character :lol:
Original post by roarchika

Yes, I think that too; Autonoe, Ino and Pentheus' mother are his followers, and he's just made them murderers. That isn't very kind. However, the reason why I didn't mention that is because of precisely what you said there, that you weren't able to draw up a very strong conclusion. It's ignoring the evidence, but it's simpler, and that was pretty much what I was aiming for.
Heya guys,

Does anyone know of a thread for a2 level latin? I wanted to know how to structure 25 mark prescribed literature essay questions....

Is it just the literature grade from the as exam that will be part of our final A2 grade or both language/literature
Is it just the literature grade from the as exam that will be part of our final A2 grade or both language/literature

I'm pretty sure it's both, mate
Original post by stripedbox
I'm pretty sure it's both, mate

thanks!
Does anyone know any information about the linear exam reforms?
basically I am taking a subject which has been reformed therefore does not count towards the final A level. And at the end of this year I am going to drop this subject. I have been told that i do not need to declare the As level (for this subject) on my ucas form because this exam has been completely decoupled from the qualification. Is this true??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending