The Student Room Group

~Gingerbread's road to Law~

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kennethdcharles
@Gingerbread101 Thank you! I'm sure yours will too with the hard work you've been doing! How are you feeling about meeting your university offer? Nervous? Confident? :smile:

I'm confident in the back of my mind, but I'm still really nervous! :redface:
Original post by Gingerbread101
I'm confident in the back of my mind, but I'm still really nervous! :redface:

I don't know anyone who wouldn't be nervous:biggrin: You're revising, and that's the key, so you've got this :smile:
Update 25/05/2016

I had my first exam today!

I was in school yesterday and this morning, and got loads of revision done using the pomodoro technique. It was quite good actually, because we did it as a group of 8 and it made it easier to keep going and do another one because someone would just set the timer and we'd all be in silence. I think I did about 3 hours yesterday and 2 hours this morning.

I think the exam was ok - there's 3 questions and you have to pick two of them to answer. One of them was on one of the topics I was hoping would come up, and the other two were a bit meh, but I think I picked the better question of the two and did well! I guess it can't be any worse than it was last year...!

Also, on the last day of school we had awards as part of our Leavers' Assembly, and I was voted as 'Most Motivated to Succeed' :giggle:

I'm going to be in serious revision mode for History now.

Russia: DONE
Gen St 1: 2 days left
Gen St 2: 12 days left
Gen St 3: 16 days left
History: 16 days left
Gen St 4: 21 days left
Language: 21 days left
Literature: 23 days left
Flash cards

These flash cards are now officially used, and I don't want to get rid of them!

I might take them camping with me and use them to light a fire and cook Russian History flavoured food...

Have you guys had any more exams?
~Gingerbread~

Quotes

I'm 4 down, 6 to go
I don't know anyone who wouldn't be nervous:biggrin: You're revising, and that's the key, so you've got this :smile:

Thanks awesome:
Original post by Andy98
I'm 4 down, 6 to go

How are they going? :smile:
@Oblivion99 You have your PMs and VMs disabled, so I'll reply on here :h:
In terms of not having done GCSE History and doing A Level, I'd say you'll definitely find it quite difficult, but the skills are easy to develop. You need to have an awareness of what can affect the reliability of a source (the provenance), and be able to understand how events lead to each other :smile: It might be worth having a look at a past paper for the course you'll be doing, not at the content of it historically, just the type of questions they ask :smile:
Thanks awesome:

How are they going? :smile:

Alright I guess

Posted from TSR Mobile
Update 31/05/2016

Serious revision mode for History is going well!

Since my last update I had my first gen studs exam, which as expected was pretty uneventful. I went into school every day last week to get the most revision done that I could. On Wednesday I did 2 hours 20 mins, on Thursday I did 4 hours 10 mins, and on Friday I did 2 hours 5 mins. I've been keeping track of all of this using the Forest app!!

Since I've been revising History, I have learnt the first 2 out ot 4 topics, and I started the 3rd one today. On Saturday I did 2 hours 55 mins, on Sunday I did 50 mins, yesterday I did 2 hours 30 mins, and today I did 3 hours 10 mins.

I'm learning things pretty well now I think, but I want to aim to do more hours every day. For the last couple of days I've been out all morning and afternoon, but I should have more time from now on.

Gen St 1: DONE
Gen St 2: 6 days left
Gen St 3: 10 days left
History: 10 days left
Gen St 4: 15 days left
Language: 15 days left
Literature: 17 days left
Forest
20160531_214517.png

This is the Forest app guys! I've shown it to a lot of my friends and they all became obsessed with it and now we compete to see who can grow the most trees.

I unlocked a new type of tree today (flower tree) and I was so proud I just had to show you guys haha

Having a nice half term?
~Gingerbread~

Quotes

LOL half term has just been solid revision; a bit of procrastination here and there (whoops!) but on the whole, solid revision, so not very nice, certainly not a holiday :frown::biggrin:How about you?
LOL half term has just been solid revision; a bit of procrastination here and there (whoops!) but on the whole, solid revision, so not very nice, certainly not a holiday :frown::biggrin:How about you?

Well done :woo:

Has your revision been working? :smile: I've done a few things with friends and outside, and the weather has been so nice so I've been having a good holiday :h:
Well done :woo:

Has your revision been working? :smile: I've done a few things with friends and outside, and the weather has been so nice so I've been having a good holiday :h:

Cheers:u:

Yeah on the whole it has; I've been making flashcards, notes, and doing past papers which is really effective. Some of my strategies have come from your master post, so thanks a lot for that :smile:

That's nice :smile: To avoid rotting in my room, I've gone out quite a bit to play football, which helps me forget about exams :biggrin:
Update 31/05/2016

Serious revision mode for History is going well!

Since my last update I had my first gen studs exam, which as expected was pretty uneventful. I went into school every day last week to get the most revision done that I could. On Wednesday I did 2 hours 20 mins, on Thursday I did 4 hours 10 mins, and on Friday I did 2 hours 5 mins. I've been keeping track of all of this using the Forest app!!

Since I've been revising History, I have learnt the first 2 out ot 4 topics, and I started the 3rd one today. On Saturday I did 2 hours 55 mins, on Sunday I did 50 mins, yesterday I did 2 hours 30 mins, and today I did 3 hours 10 mins.

I'm learning things pretty well now I think, but I want to aim to do more hours every day. For the last couple of days I've been out all morning and afternoon, but I should have more time from now on.

Gen St 2: 6 days left
Gen St 3: 10 days left
History: 10 days left
Gen St 4: 15 days left
Language: 15 days left
Literature: 17 days left
Forest
20160531_214517.png

This is the Forest app guys! I've shown it to a lot of my friends and they all became obsessed with it and now we compete to see who can grow the most trees.

I unlocked a new type of tree today (flower tree) and I was so proud I just had to show you guys haha

Having a nice half term?
~Gingerbread~

Quotes

I've nearly unlocked all the trees in the Forest app (only one more to go) and I genuinely fear that I'll just procrastinate more once there's no more motivation to get coins to collect trees. :eek: it's a really great app though!
Cheers:u:

Yeah on the whole it has; I've been making flashcards, notes, and doing past papers which is really effective. Some of my strategies have come from your master post, so thanks a lot for that :smile:

That's nice :smile: To avoid rotting in my room, I've gone out quite a bit to play football, which helps me forget about exams :biggrin:

Awesome! :biggrin: I'm glad it helped :colondollar:
Original post by doctorwhofan98
I've nearly unlocked all the trees in the Forest app (only one more to go) and I genuinely fear that I'll just procrastinate more once there's no more motivation to get coins to collect trees. :eek: it's a really great app though!

:adore: how long have you been using the app for?
That's so impressive!
Awesome! :biggrin: I'm glad it helped :colondollar:

:adore: how long have you been using the app for?
That's so impressive!

I can't remember when you first mentioned it on your study blog but I installed it that day. I do use it a lot - whenever I'm doing studying, I set it typically either for an hour or two hours which brings a lot of coins... though it's always very sad when a tree has to die because I need to respond to a message, but Forest has no sympathy! It has had a major impact on my revision so thank you so much for posting about it in the first place!
Original post by doctorwhofan98
I can't remember when you first mentioned it on your study blog but I installed it that day. I do use it a lot - whenever I'm doing studying, I set it typically either for an hour or two hours which brings a lot of coins... though it's always very sad when a tree has to die because I need to respond to a message, but Forest has no sympathy! It has had a major impact on my revision so thank you so much for posting about it in the first place!

Ooh, I'm so pleased it was my blog that first introduced it to you!! :awesome: I normally set it to 25 mins to do pomodoros, but today I did 1.5 hours in one go and it was great!

If you have it on Android, there's a whitelist setting that I think you can put that on so it doesn't kill the tree :h:
Ooh, I'm so pleased it was my blog that first introduced it to you!! :awesome: I normally set it to 25 mins to do pomodoros, but today I did 1.5 hours in one go and it was great!

If you have it on Android, there's a whitelist setting that I think you can put that on so it doesn't kill the tree :h:

Showing off all the talents! :congrats::hat:
Original post by getfunky!
Showing off all the talents! :congrats::hat:

So many talents :lol:
Update 07/06/2016

Wow, I haven't updated for a while!

I've been revising pretty solidly for History since last Tuesday, although I was out all day Friday and had a party Friday night so Saturday was rather... unproductive too :mmm:

Yesterday I had a really successful day and worked for 5 hours and 10 mins!I've been going into school every possible day of study leave, because I'm so much more productive there. I've also decided that it's best to just revise History until the History exam is done, as Lit and Lang need a lot less revision. However, I'm a bit stuck about Gen Studs - I don't need it and it's a pretty pointless qualification, but I want to have it as a back up just in case I don't meet my offer and can use it as a way to convince them over the phone. My Gen Studs A2 exam is on the same day as History, so what should I do guys? Give it an hour or so of revision or not do anything? My teacher said that for the AS we don't need to revise (I didn't), but we should for the A2 ones.

Gen St 2: DONE
Gen St 3: 3 days left
History: 3 days left
Gen St 4: 8 days left
Language: 8 days left
Literature: 10 days left
Revision tracker

I've been tracking how much revision I've been doing for History for the last 2 weeks on here (each box is an hour)

For African Americans I've done 10.5 hours

For Native Americans I've done 7.5 hours

For Workers I've done 8.5 hours

For Women I've done 5 hours

This shows me which topics I need to work more on, i.e. women because I only started it 2 days ago

What do you guys think I should do about Gen Studs?
~Gingerbread~

Quotes

x

Dedicate maybe an hour an evening to Gen Stud 3/4? If it's not too important don't stress about it too much. Grow lots of trees :teehee: also PRSOM

What do you guys think I should do about Gen Studs?

I got an A in General Studies in AS and A2, must have done about half an hour of revision for both, it's all about what you do in the actual exam - I'd say prioritise your actual subjects, especially if they're what you're relying on for Uni grades (GS wasn't included in my offer). Even if it is included in your offer, I'd say don't spend too much time on it - you clearly have great written skills, which will be more important in hitting the high grades than any revision will from my experience :tongue:

Good luck! :hugs: :woo:
Original post by iEthan
Dedicate maybe an hour an evening to Gen Stud 3/4? If it's not too important don't stress about it too much. Grow lots of trees :teehee: also PRSOM

I might do an hour on one evening, but I don't want to waste the time that I'm actually motivated in :lol:
Original post by BurstingBubbles

I got an A in General Studies in AS and A2, must have done about half an hour of revision for both, it's all about what you do in the actual exam - I'd say prioritise your actual subjects, especially if they're what you're relying on for Uni grades (GS wasn't included in my offer). Even if it is included in your offer, I'd say don't spend too much time on it - you clearly have great written skills, which will be more important in hitting the high grades than any revision will from my experience :tongue:

Good luck! :hugs: :woo:
Hm, I guess that's good then, I might just do an hour of quickly looking over things :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending