The Student Room Group

Any advice for AS Applied ICT Unit 3 Exam?

Anybody have any advice going into the exam?
Keep track of the time

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Has anyone done the exam yet?
The exams not that hard but you need to keep track of the time and the first activity is not a summary its where u list points using the scenario
Reply 4
My exam is tomorow but i've been getting answers from classmates who have sat it on monday and today.
So activity 1 is the listing 10 things that are the conditions etc, part b will be about potential errors and part c is about things out of your control like sudden earthquake and water floods etcetc.

Activity 2 is what you've hopefully done in class which is the IF statements and the VLOOKUP's.

Activity 3 is the one we dont get given, from what ive heard is it going to be involving Sin and Pi to work out different tidal values.
Someone managed to get a picture of the question in school and it is along the lines of the person saying they want the tidal trip to be designed on the week commencing August 1st, the harbour master is busy so you've got to work out the tidal values yourself.

I'm sorry this isn't hella helpful but obviously I dont have the exact formulas you need but hopefully knowing what the exam is about will make you less nervous.
I have the exam tommorow, if im not too busy revising for Bio i will pop back on here to say what happened!
Good luck!
Reply 5
I have a miscellaneous pic from a friend which is one of the formulas for activity 3, I HAVE NO IDEA IF ITS CORRECT.

=IF(x=*Y*,((SIN(Radius)*1.5)+6, FALSE)

I'm scared because ive never used sin and pi in anything that wasnt maths before. I have no idea if its right hahaha but good luck!
Original post by JackRO98
Has anyone done the exam yet?

Have you done yours?
Original post by Simbak6
My exam is tomorow but i've been getting answers from classmates who have sat it on monday and today.
So activity 1 is the listing 10 things that are the conditions etc, part b will be about potential errors and part c is about things out of your control like sudden earthquake and water floods etcetc.

Activity 2 is what you've hopefully done in class which is the IF statements and the VLOOKUP's.

Activity 3 is the one we dont get given, from what ive heard is it going to be involving Sin and Pi to work out different tidal values.
Someone managed to get a picture of the question in school and it is along the lines of the person saying they want the tidal trip to be designed on the week commencing August 1st, the harbour master is busy so you've got to work out the tidal values yourself.

I'm sorry this isn't hella helpful but obviously I dont have the exact formulas you need but hopefully knowing what the exam is about will make you less nervous.
I have the exam tommorow, if im not too busy revising for Bio i will pop back on here to say what happened!
Good luck!

How did yours go? Please share!
Reply 8
has anyone thought of the potential answers for activity 1?
Reply 9
Original post by WoodySam
has anyone thought of the potential answers for activity 1?

Activity One is as follows, (i think) :

List all the attractions and the min and max tide requirements
List seven points relevant to the model
Describe two data sources

Or something similar, hope that helps.
Reply 10
Original post by FilipeLuis
Activity One is as follows, (i think) :

List all the attractions and the min and max tide requirements
List seven points relevant to the model
Describe two data sources

Or something similar, hope that helps.

Ok, thanks, what does it mean by the data sources?
Reply 11
Original post by WoodySam
Ok, thanks, what does it mean by the data sources?

Not too sure - I assume it to be the two files that you get given in the exam, the spreadsheet and the data file?
I have heard that it is very straight forward and it tells you all of these values in the exam so there is no need to stress
I have heard that the last part of activity 1 is to outline two pieces of information used to measure in the model.
How was the exam? Did it go well. Any advise?
Reply 15
For the data source question i wrote about selection and sights and most of my friends also did so I don't know.

Also don't panic too much about activity 3, if you don't rush in and spend about 10 minutes trying to understand what theyre saying, you can see the clever way they've swapped things around and it makes sense. part a asks you to calculate the phase angle so they give you what to do, its your job to make up a formula. Apparently this exam was quite easy so dont worry!

For part B of activity 3 it is an IF statement which is quite similar to the formula i wrote earlier although I had to fiddle around with the brackets a little to make it work.

Finally activity 4 is the evaluation part. Its much different than the ones you may have tried in school, i think you dont need to write as much but you need to think about your subtitles because they're being really mean and not giving hints!

Goodluck!
Original post by Simbak6
For the data source question i wrote about selection and sights and most of my friends also did so I don't know.

Also don't panic too much about activity 3, if you don't rush in and spend about 10 minutes trying to understand what theyre saying, you can see the clever way they've swapped things around and it makes sense. part a asks you to calculate the phase angle so they give you what to do, its your job to make up a formula. Apparently this exam was quite easy so dont worry!

For part B of activity 3 it is an IF statement which is quite similar to the formula i wrote earlier although I had to fiddle around with the brackets a little to make it work.

Finally activity 4 is the evaluation part. Its much different than the ones you may have tried in school, i think you dont need to write as much but you need to think about your subtitles because they're being really mean and not giving hints!

Goodluck!

Thank you very much
Reply 17
is this the edexel exam

Quick Reply