The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE Mathematics May/June 2016 Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 34908seikj
Nope, i think you're wrong, I double checked.

egP1CUO.jpg

No i can assure you I am right this time
Reply 141
If anyone needs help on a question, I'm here :biggrin:
Original post by Mahrez
No i can assure you I am right this time

Sir, you are wrong. 100%
Nope, i think you're wrong, I double checked.

egP1CUO.jpg

You wrote the question wrong it is x/2 not x-2/2
Original post by Mahrez
You wrote the question wrong it is x/2 not x-2/2

(x-2)- (2/(x+1))=1 find X

Was the question YOU DID NOT SAY X/2 !
(x-2)- (2/(x+1))=1 find X

Was the question YOU DID NOT SAY X/2 !

sorry x/2
iyhWWuz.jpg
Original post by mahrez
sorry x/2

are you happy now damn it!
Reply 147
Listen here u ****ing dickheads I know one of u got the mark scheme so whip it out and put it on the board cuz wallahi if u don't i knows some Somalians who like white boys yeah
Original post by Hsshhs
Listen here u ****ing dickheads I know one of u got the mark scheme so whip it out and put it on the board cuz wallahi if u don't i knows some Somalians who like white boys yeah

Literally have no clue what you're trying to say... in between all the insults
Guyyyyys when I'm solving a quadratic equation how I decide which numbers to take away? E.g. if I have 4x + 5 = 6x - 15, how do I know whether to take away 5 or take away 15? I tried taking away 5 and I ended up getting - 1 x = 20! :s-smilie:
Original post by greenmang0
Guyyyyys when I'm solving a quadratic equation how I decide which numbers to take away? E.g. if I have 4x + 5 = 6x - 15, how do I know whether to take away 5 or take away 15? I tried taking away 5 and I ended up getting - 1 x = 20! :s-smilie:

3z82uzh.jpg

Understand how I did this?
Reply 151

That isn't a quadratic, a quadratic is an equation with a squared term like x^2 + 2x +1 = 0

Also, it doesn't really which side you move the numbers or Xs as you end up with the same answer at the end.
3z82uzh.jpg

Understand how I did this?

I took away 4x from both sides to get 20 then halved that to get x. But I don't understand how to decide to solve it in that way? What makes you look at the equation and think, 'I will take away 4x'?
I took away 4x from both sides to get 20 then halved that to get x. But I don't understand how to decide to solve it in that way? What makes you look at the equation and think, 'I will take away 4x'?

Because 6x is bigger than 4x, It doesn't matter which way you do it, I just just find working with -x to be unnecessary.

So usually work with the side that has the biggest x value, try to get the x's on that side.
Because 6x is bigger than 4x, It doesn't matter which way you do it, I just just find working with -x to be unnecessary.

So usually work with the side that has the biggest x value, try to get the x's on that side.

Say if I ended up with that answer though, how would I get x from -1x?
Well what's x multiplied by 1, it's just going to be x. 2*1= 2, etc...
So -1x = -x, if x doesn't have a co-efficent it's implied that it's 1 and doesn't need to be wrote next to it.
Reply 156
Say if I ended up with that answer though, how would I get x from -1x?

4 -6 = -2
Original post by NiamhM1801
http://www.mrbartonmaths.com/gcsepapers.htm

If you scroll to the bottom of this page they're there :smile:

Mr Barton maths is sooo good!
I love his solutions, as unlike the mark scheme it shows working out aswell
Guys no matter how hard or easy the exam is tomorrow.kick up a fuss like people did last year.apart from the hannah's sweets the paper was easy and yet edexcel dropped the grade boundaries by 7 marks.in maths thats a big deal.for the sake of helping me secure an a* in maths and thousands of other who may narrowly miss their wanted grade by 1 mark due to silly mistakes.even if your good at maths, do it for the greater good.
Original post by JustJannah
Mr Barton maths is sooo good!
I love his solutions, as unlike the mark scheme it shows working out aswell

Really? I'm the opposite - I hate his solutions! I find mistakes in them sometimes...not that helpful (although the actual mark schemes help me out).
My teacher actually said that 'he must have no life as all he does is make maths solutions' 😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending