The Student Room Group

Arsey's solutions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mr M
I don't suppose he wants to put his career at risk. Would you?

Hi Mr M!
I wanted to say my point and see what you would say about it.

I understand you are on Arsey's side and I totally agree.
What I would like to mention is that Arsey has transformed the grades of hundreds if not thousands of students across britain and the world.

For the exam board to remove such a resource is theoretically a reverse thought process if they would like students to succeed in their exams. Why remove a resource that helps us to structure our answers in a logical manner but then mention that students are not achieving the correct grades?

I understand that you post answers to the questions without the workings, and we at TSR appreciate that because it relieves the stress of not knowing whether a result was right or not, and therefore provides us with confidence if it was.

What we are saying is that arsey should consult with the exam board on an agreement such that there could be a time limit to when the resource is removed after a time interval to allow schools to use the paper as a mock (for instance).

Arsey has helped me achieve the best of my abilities, so I do not see any advantage in withholding that right from the students of the years that are following.

I appreciate your honesty Mr M and I would like to kindly enquire whether you understand the points I have made.

Before I end this query, I would like to refer to the 'copyright' statement.
If this was an infringement of copyright, then why were other papers not removed previously?

Thanks very much,
nwmyname.

PS - thanks for all the service you have provided, and for Mr M to continue providing at this currrent moment.
Original post by nwmyname

Hi,

I don't think posting answers directly helps any student although it does prevent many from wasting time worrying after an exam and possibly helps them to settle back down to their studies so I suppose it could help them indirectly.

It's probably not up to Arsey to make the sort of arrangement you suggest. TSR could probably do so but in recent times Edexcel have contacted teachers by private message instead of talking to TSR. This is a shame as I know TSR would try to secure a satisfactory solution.

Edexcel could have insisted that their papers were removed from this site previously but may have decided it wasn't worth the effort. Publishing them without permission has already been a breach of copyright. It is possible that teachers have got annoyed after students have cheated on mock exams and have asked Edexcel to follow this up. I don't know if this is the case - I am merely speculating.

Mr M
What is the view of other exam boards?

In Maths, Edexecl is by far the dominant market player - their total exam entries (if my data recap is correct) is more than all other exam boards put together. This would be viewed as bulying if seen in a playground - the big kid throwing his weight around.......

It's ludicrous to use the reason that schools need to use these as mock exams - I am a teacher and have always produced mock papers from several papers or picked a yaer at random - quite frankly the chances of a student remembering the mark scheme for, say 2007, is remote and if they have doen the paper on advance - good luck to them.
Original post by Mr M
Hi,

I don't think posting answers directly helps any student although it does prevent many from wasting time worrying after an exam and possibly helps them to settle back down to their studies so I suppose it could help them indirectly.

It's probably not up to Arsey to make the sort of arrangement you suggest. TSR could probably do so but in recent times Edexcel have contacted teachers by private message instead of talking to TSR. This is a shame as I know TSR would try to secure a satisfactory solution.

Edexcel could have insisted that their papers were removed from this site previously but may have decided it wasn't worth the effort. Publishing them without permission has already been a breach of copyright. It is possible that teachers have got annoyed after students have cheated on mock exams and have asked Edexcel to follow this up. I don't know if this is the case - I am merely speculating.

Mr M

I appreciate your comments and I am totally on side with what you have said. There is not anything that you have said which I would have classed as incorrect.

Do you think that it would be worth attempting to get to some resolution with edExcel via the TSR platform? Not that you have any power on TSR which I am aware of to do so, but it is my suggestio and I was wondering whether you would think this is allowed.

Yes, I can agree as to that it is a breach of copyright, although these exams will eventually be released freely on the internet domain to be viewed this time next year. Also, forgive me if I am mistaken, but doesn't the copyright rule fall apart when a document is modified by either colour or the document has been modified through photocopying, which arsey has been doing by photocopying the question and writing his solutions underneath? I am certainly not a law student, but this was a rule I was aware of when completing my design projects previously regarding copyright images and texts.

I do appreciate your reply and I would be happy if you responded to this post.
I will not message any further to save your time as you may be busy later, but thank you very much for your input to my comment Mr M.
Original post by teepmot
It's ludicrous to use the reason that schools need to use these as mock exams - I am a teacher and have always produced mock papers from several papers or picked a yaer at random - quite frankly the chances of a student remembering the mark scheme for, say 2007, is remote and if they have doen the paper on advance - good luck to them.

I think it is quite unusual to compile your own paper. Most teachers just reach for the latest password protected paper and become irritated when they find it is widely available on the internet.
Original post by nwmyname

I don't really understand the legal situation either but I think our agreements say we are only permitted to use papers with our own students in our own Centre so this could be part of the problem.

I have already asked TSR for some advice. I was intending to post GCSE answers on Friday (after observing an embargo to prevent overseas students from gaining any advantage) but now don't know if I should. I haven't heard from Edexcel via TSR this year.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Mr M
I don't suppose he wants to put his career at risk. Would you?

Yes. Anything for TSR.
Original post by anonwinner
Yes. Anything for TSR.

Ha! Fair enough.
Original post by TeeEm
R.I.P.

Spoiler

Will you take arseys place? :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Arsey I owe you! Last year you gifted me with an additional 8 ums in AS maths last year because of one formulae (on forces on a pulley) which I never knew about and came across the night before the M1 exam on your tsr thread. When I saw the last question required that exact formula I almost yelpt in excitement in the exam😂. Managed to get 93 in M1, 266 in AS maths overall, which would never have happened if it wasn't for you!! You are a legend!!! It's a real shame to see you go:frown::frown:
Reply 151
Original post by econam
Will you take arseys place? :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

How insulting!
As a teacher I never understood how Arsey got away with this - it gave every Maths teacher additional work setting an 'unseen' mock.
I always got students to get photocopies of any papers they were concerned about after showing them the marks per question - they could then compare with the official mark scheme.
I dont see why teachers are worried about mocks and...
If a student wants to cheat themselves they can, its their own loss!
In my college the teacher told us not to look at papers other than the ones she said, and almost everyone listened and didnt do look at papers so she could still take around 6 mocks (for one module) while setting many more as hw.

The idea given which someone ( @physicsmaths ) mentioned above was good. The results should be posted and then removed by the end of June. This will prevent students looking for the papers next year.

The fact that someone said it wastes student's time since they look for the answers is wrong! This actually saves lots of time. Last year when the Arsey wrote the answers, I could check it in about 15 minutes max (including the thoughts after i checked the answers), but today for checking S3 exam answers, i had to look through lots and lots of pages in TSR to figure out something and STILL i am not sure how much i will get exactly, which means probably i will have to waste more time discussing it with few students later (i personally wont, but some might).

It would be nice if you could make a website which has the answers and then lock them (the current year papers) on 1st of July until next year.

Hopefully someone will make it for this year before we forget all our answers :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Need interpretation these results do, need Epicurean we do. Strong with the dark side of the interpretation he is.

@The Epicurean @Zamestaneh
Was really depending on Arsey for FP2 and FP3 :laugh:
Now I'm gonna spend my whole summer worrying about if my Further Maths grade will get me into uni or not :colonhash:
Bagsy i get to do M4/5 solutions

Posted from TSR Mobile
If people are worried about their answers, why don't they just ask their teacher?
Original post by edothero
Was really depending on Arsey for FP2 and FP3 :laugh:
Now I'm gonna spend my whole summer worrying about if my Further Maths grade will get me into uni or not :colonhash:

People will still discuss them online. You'll be fine.

It's just a shame Edexcel targetted a single user so unprofessionally
Original post by Student403
People will still discuss them online. You'll be fine.

It's just a shame Edexcel targetted a single user so unprofessionally

Its cause they aint roadmen,
in the roadmen code of conduct it states
' 1/several roadmen only **** up 1/several not roadmen, never in any case do k and n roadman/not roadman **** each other up when k=/=n.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending