The Student Room Group

Could i have done better for my age?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SophieSmall

lol your funny I like you
Reply 41
Original post by shawn_o1
I'm saving up but have worked only three months since graduating. Already I could have saved another £2300 but decided to put £2000 of it towards repaying student debt, and £300 on non essentials.

£2000 towards repaying student debt...please don't tell me you're a Brit and you voluntarily handed this over to the Revenue...
Reply 42
Original post by shawn_o1
but decided to put £2000 of it towards repaying student debt

Whaaaaaaat?!
Original post by JavaScriptMaster
lol your funny I like you

You're :wink:
lol don't cry about it :tongue:

if you're not happy with the amount of money you spend vs save then change your spending habits. It's not hard nor takes very long to set up a good budget plan and change some behaviours here and there.

I managed to save 1.2k this year living away from home (52 weeks of the year) on a budget of 8k. If I can do it, there is no excuse for anyone else with more money and less expenses...though granted I am pretty cheap. But proves it can be done.

do a thread with your tips:O

that is impressive.
Original post by trustmeimlying1
do a thread with your tips:O

that is impressive.

Eh, there isn't much to it other than make a budget, stick to it and shop around for deals. And of course live within your means.
My bank balance is currently negative... o wells

And OP that isn't bad at all, better than i would have by then tbh :biggrin:
Lol yeah there is life outside London you know.

Lol any time I hear someone say you can't possibly live on less they always live in London, like fair enough it's more expensive in London. But not everyone lives there! :tongue:

FYI my rent is 2.7k a year (house share so cheaper than renting my own place which would cost between 5-6k a year) and my bills for the year are about £500 (may be getting a rebate, think we have overpaid).

I plan to live in house shares for at least another 5 years once having a full time job, because for me it's the best of both worlds. It means I still get to have my freedom and independence (besides my mum has to move and there will be no space for me) and it's cheaper than living at alone...Besides I think I'd get really lonely living on my own. Already have my budget plans set up for different incomes and savings targets for the next 5 years....I enjoy to budget and plan I'm a complete saddo I know :lol:

My eyes water reading this. Many investors here bought 2 bedroom flats around 10 years ago when property prices were reasonable, converted the living room to an extra bedroom, set the asking price at £2.2k a month for rent and laugh all the way to the bank.

House share would be best for me too, but I love my personal space. I'd probably go insane living with someone else for 5 years straight, even if it were family (no problems with loneliness here!) - that being said, I'd rather live at home than pay rent. For 2.7k a year I'd happily compromise in a house share, but in my area you're pretty much flushing money down the toilet.

And I hate budgeting. And saving. I'm allergic to taking responsibility of my own money. Which is why I'm constantly broke. I should probably sort this out before I graduate!
Original post by Another
My eyes water reading this. Many investors here bought 2 bedroom flats around 10 years ago when property prices were reasonable, converted the living room to an extra bedroom, set the asking price at £2.2k a month for rent and laugh all the way to the bank.

House share would be best for me too, but I love my personal space. I'd probably go insane living with someone else for 5 years straight, even if it were family (no problems with loneliness here!) - that being said, I'd rather live at home than pay rent. For 2.7k a year I'd happily compromise in a house share, but in my area you're pretty much flushing money down the toilet.

And I hate budgeting. And saving. I'm allergic to taking responsibility of my own money. Which is why I'm constantly broke. I should probably sort this out before I graduate!

yeah...**** like that is why I never have any intention of moving to somewhere like London. Just not at all worth it in my eyes.

Eh, I probably won't live in the same house share for 5 years straight unless I really like a particular one and get on extraordinarily well with the people I share with. I quite like to switch it up and change.

You definitely should sort it out. Budgeting doesn't have to be a nightmare or a constant battle. Even just little changes can help. If you're constantly broke if you don't have to be then you should change your behaviour, because if you don't change it now...when will you? Bad habits stick the longer you go on with them.
Original post by Reue
Whaaaaaaat?!

why is it bad paying off debts?
Reply 50

Depends what type of student debt it was

Because paying lumps sums towards student loans is often money down the drain.

Here's a quick read that explains why:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/student-loans-repay
better than most that age, keep saving.

cheers!!!

But then having said that, it looks like the government are going to retrospectively change the Ts and Cs of student loans, making them more expensive

http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2016/03/17/student-loan-hike-update-meeting-with-universities-minister-to-propose-mitigation-measures/
Original post by Emma:-)
£28,000 is pretty good. Yes you could have saved more, but you have to live as well.
Im 25 as well and have saved £37,000, but thats because ive scrimped and saved.

so u have 37k sitting in ur bank for what ever you want?!?
i wouldnt have the ability or will power to save that! id have had a huge shopping spree!
Original post by shawtyb
so u have 37k sitting in ur bank for what ever you want?!?
i wouldnt have the ability or will power to save that! id have had a huge shopping spree!

Pretty much, yeah.
Ive got quite a few things im saving up for, such as a house, another car (mines fine but i want something slightly newer) and a classic mini as well.
Original post by Emma:-)
Pretty much, yeah.
Ive got quite a few things im saving up for, such as a house, another car (mines fine but i want something slightly newer) and a classic mini as well.

id use it for holidays etc did u buy ur will power with it as well lol
as a rough guide one should be earning £A thousands where A is one's age in years ?

thus a 32 year old should be on £32000, a 63 year old on £63000 etc.
Original post by shawtyb
id use it for holidays etc did u buy ur will power with it as well lol

Its called being a tightwad, lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending