The Student Room Group

Telling parents I'm getting a tattoo

So, I'm getting a tattoo, for a number of reasons, I've had the design in mind for a couple of years, have found an artist whose work I love and am going to a highly regarded studio. I'm not sure how to break it to my parents... for what its worth, it is (in my opinion) a tasteful tattoo with a lot of meaning to me, and to be honest is necessary to cover up a terrible stick and poke tattoo I did when I was 14. Tattoo has to be on my forearm for this reason, so there's really no hiding it from my parents. This probably does seem silly as I am an adult with my own money, but I respect my parents, and am not sure about their opinions on tattoos... does anyone have any idea on some tactful ways to break the news?
Thanks guys
Mum dad I have something to tell you...
I killed a guy and dumped his body in the river and now the police are coming for me-

just kidding I only got a tattoo!! :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by Bazbaz
So, I'm getting a tattoo, for a number of reasons, I've had the design in mind for a couple of years, have found an artist whose work I love and am going to a highly regarded studio. I'm not sure how to break it to my parents... for what its worth, it is (in my opinion) a tasteful tattoo with a lot of meaning to me, and to be honest is necessary to cover up a terrible stick and poke tattoo I did when I was 14. Tattoo has to be on my forearm for this reason, so there's really no hiding it from my parents. This probably does seem silly as I am an adult with my own money, but I respect my parents, and am not sure about their opinions on tattoos... does anyone have any idea on some tactful ways to break the news?
Thanks guys

It is going to be hard
Reply 3
Original post by Bazbaz
Thanks guys

Don't tell them, til after you've done it!
Reply 4
Original post by M14B
It is going to be hard

Thank you, that is why I asked the internet at large. But I'm glad you can empathise :tongue:
Reply 5
Original post by john2054
Don't tell them, til after you've done it!

Well they can't stop me... But I just think they'll appreciate it more if I tell them before. They're the sort of people who despise the deception more than the act itself in most cases.. if that makes sense?
Reply 6
Original post by Bazbaz
Well they can't stop me... But I just think they'll appreciate it more if I tell them before. They're the sort of people who despise the deception more than the act itself in most cases.. if that makes sense?

When i do big things like getting a tattoo, or getting married, i generally do it without my parent's permission. But by all means tell them, and see what they say? You can let us all know after?
Reply 7
When i do big things like getting a tattoo, or getting married, i generally do it without my parent's permission. But by all means tell them, and see what they say? You can let us all know after?

I think you misunderstood, I'm not asking for permission, merely a non aggressive way of breaking it to my parents that their only daughter is going to get a fairly large forearm tattoo, but that I would like them to respect my choices -as an adult, and be supportive. I feel it is more mature to try and do that, than to go and get the tattoo without telling them as big old **** you to the 18 years of trust and respect that I have managed to build up with my parents
Reply 8
Original post by Bazbaz
I think you misunderstood, I'm not asking for permission, merely a non aggressive way of breaking it to my parents that their only daughter is going to get a fairly large forearm tattoo, but that I would like them to respect my choices -as an adult, and be supportive. I feel it is more mature to try and do that, than to go and get the tattoo without telling them as big old **** you to the 18 years of trust and respect that I have managed to build up with my parents

If you've made your mind up already, then why are you asking for other opinions? I only gave you mine. By all means tell them. Just understand that there is a good chance that they will ask you not to. Thanks again.
Reply 9
If you've made your mind up already, then why are you asking for other opinions? I only gave you mine. By all means tell them. Just understand that there is a good chance that they will ask you not to. Thanks again.

Just clocked you're the guy from the other thread, my apologies. I was asking for advice on how to, not advice on whether to, there's a significant difference. Anyway thanks for your input.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending