The Student Room Group

[Official Thread] Edexcel 6BI02 (Unit 2 Old Spec) June 2016 (Exam Discussion)

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone have any predictions for tomorrows exam? Like what experiment might come up?
Original post by Komol
Can anyone give me the ans of how molecule of mRNA is made during transcription (4 marks) thanks😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Transcription takes place in the nucleus of a cell.

DNA is unzipped by DNA helicase, by breaking the H bonds between the strands.

Free RNA nucleotides in the nucleus line up along the template/antisense strand, following the complimentary base pairing rule. (over here you can also mention which nitrogen base binds to which)

RNA polymerase enzyme forms the sugar phosphate backbone, by forming phosphodiester bonds, as a result of condensation reaction.

mRNA then leaves the nucleus, and DNA ligase joins the DNA strands back together.

Hope that helps!
Anyone if i missed anything pls do let me know!!
Reply 42
Original post by Nethmioysters
Transcription takes place in the nucleus of a cell.

DNA is unzipped by DNA helicase, by breaking the H bonds between the strands.

Free RNA nucleotides in the nucleus line up along the template/antisense strand, following the complimentary base pairing rule. (over here you can also mention which nitrogen base binds to which)

RNA polymerase enzyme forms the sugar phosphate backbone, by forming phosphodiester bonds, as a result of condensation reaction.

mRNA then leaves the nucleus, and DNA ligase joins the DNA strands back together.

Hope that helps!
Anyone if i missed anything pls do let me know!!

Thanks that's a lot info

Posted from TSR Mobile
can someone pls describe the three-dimensional (tertiary) structure of an enzyme!? (3 marks)
Original post by Komol
Can anyone give me the ans of how molecule of mRNA is made during transcription (4 marks) thanks😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Transcription takes place in the nucleus of the cell. Here DNA unwinds and hydrogen bonds between bases break. A strand is used as a template (antisense strand) for the synthesis of mRNA. Free RNA mono nucleotides pair up due to complementary base pairing and the enzyme RNA polymerase joins of the mono nucleotides to form a strand of mRNA. This then moves out of the nucleus through the nuclear envelope and into the cytoplasm where translation begins...

anyone have anything to add? I think that should be enough for 4 marks
(edited 7 years ago)
can someone pls describe the three-dimensional (tertiary) structure of an enzyme!? (3 marks)

An enzyme's tertiary structure is the further folding of the enzyme to give it its 3D structure

Bonds are formed between the R groups of the amino acids (e.g. hydrogen, ionic and disulphide bridges).

The formation of the active site allows the enzyme to bind to a specific substrate molecule to catalyse a reaction.
Original post by perez_perez
Transcription takes place in the nucleus of the cell. Here DNA unwinds and hydrogen bonds between bases break. A strand is used as a template (antisense strand) for the synthesis of mRNA. Free RNA mono nucleotides pair up due to complementary base pairing and the enzyme RNA polymerase joins of the mono nucleotides to form a strand of mRNA. This then moves out of the nucleus through the nuclear envelope and into the cytoplasm where translation begins...

anyone have anything to add? I think that should be enough for 4 marks

That must be 4 marks.

Only thing to add is its helicase that causes the enzyme to unwind
Is this thread for those resitting or for the new spec?
Original post by Excuse Me!
Is this thread for those resitting or for the new spec?

This thread is for the old spec. Most people on here are probably resitters but I'm doing the full A-Level of biology this year for the first time.
Original post by perez_perez
An enzyme's tertiary structure is the further folding of the enzyme to give it its 3D structure

Bonds are formed between the R groups of the amino acids (e.g. hydrogen, ionic and disulphide bridges).

The formation of the active site allows the enzyme to bind to a specific substrate molecule to catalyse a reaction.

Thanks alot!
Reply 50
12.PNG
Attachment not found

could someone explain the circled bit
Original post by mh99
12.PNG
Attachment not found

could someone explain the circled bit

Glucose and Galactose has the formula
C6 H12 O6
So when it is simplified it is :
C1 H2 O1
Reply 52
Original post by NNB_Herath
Glucose and Galactose has the formula
C6 H12 O6
So when it is simplified it is :
C1 H2 O1

okay thanks :smile:
Reply 53
I would say don't predict what is going to come up.. Know them all lol :smile:

I know them all but hate the enzyme one 😁
Good luck guys :crossedf:
wow there were so many questions straight from past papers.

How difficult was it?was there any weird question?
nope no weird questions. most of them quite straightforward. but the mcqs were quite tricky

What came up?
nope no weird questions. most of them quite straightforward. but the mcqs were quite tricky

Were the questions about experiment straight forward as well??
Easy paper I guess :smile:
Reply 59
How did everyone do?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending