The Student Room Group

How do you answer evaluate, draw conclusions, suggest reasons questions??

Hey guys how do you set your answers out?
I dont understand the difference netween what questions are asking
Reply 1
I need help too
With suggest, you generally apply your textbook knowledge to a scenario which isn't familiar to you. For example you may be asked to "Suggest how Oral Rehydration Salts work to treat diarrhoea". You would then apply your knowledge of water potential.

In evaluate, you compare BOTH SIDES of the argument. For example:

You are given a graph here of number of cups of alcohol on the X axis, and the number of heart disease cases on the Y axis. Up to two glasses show that risk of heart disease decreases.

Question: A newspaper has a headline "Alcohol reduces heart disease". Evaluate this headline.

PROS: Graph does show that up to two glasses a day your risk of heart disease decreases

CONS: Headline does not state how many units is safe
Correlation does not necessarily mean causation
Could be due to another factor such as age

With draw conclusions, you just need to look at the data given to you and see what links you can establish and see what the data is actually showing, more importantly be specific i.e state a date range and don't just say positive correlation.

Hope that made sense

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by CrazyFool229
With suggest, you generally apply your textbook knowledge to a scenario which isn't familiar to you. For example you may be asked to "Suggest how Oral Rehydration Salts work to treat diarrhoea". You would then apply your knowledge of water potential.

In evaluate, you compare BOTH SIDES of the argument. For example:

You are given a graph here of number of cups of alcohol on the X axis, and the number of heart disease cases on the Y axis. Up to two glasses show that risk of heart disease decreases.

Question: A newspaper has a headline "Alcohol reduces heart disease". Evaluate this headline.

PROS: Graph does show that up to two glasses a day your risk of heart disease decreases

CONS: Headline does not state how many units is safe
Correlation does not necessarily mean causation
Could be due to another factor such as age

With draw conclusions, you just need to look at the data given to you and see what links you can establish and see what the data is actually showing, more importantly be specific i.e state a date range and don't just say positive correlation.

Hope that made sense

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much. I understand it a lot better now

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending