The Student Room Group

Do you have lecturers/teachers like this?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _Morsey_
I do engineering and i find that it varies from module to module.

Some lecturers are more than willing to give detailed solutions to past papers, whilst others may only provide the final numerical answers. However i've never come across a lecturer unwilling to check solutions or answers to a question, therefore that does appear particularly harsh i feel.

My first year of uni was on an engineering course and whilst some modules were also at least provided with numerical solutions so you know if you are right or wrong. I get that now for my physics or maths based modules.
Sounds like a tutor I had during my final year.. Was never prepared to help out with anything. :/
My lectures are similar (Most of them are pictures). But students complained and asked if all the lectures could be recorded- which is what they're currently doing. They're all uploaded to panapto...so it isn't so bad now
Maybe my memory is failing me but at my old uni I'm sure we had answers to go with the past papers. My seminar tutors were definitley always saying 'please give me any model answers you want marked' and some of them told us what topics would come up.
Original post by hezzlington
So, we have two past papers from last year, one is a resit. They are both totally different.

Then, this

So no feedback, no answers, nothing.

The style of question is essay based. However, there is a right and wrong answer. So if we start off on a false premise, the entire essay is redundant..

Now, whilst I don't expect to be spoonfed, this is pretty difficult. The lectures are mostly pictures. Not much writing.

Oh well.

My course is the same, hell I didnt even get past papers for my maths 2 paper this year :frown:
It's pretty much the same on my course.
To be honest there are loads of students on some uni courses, they can't explain to everyone individually which specific things to mention in an essay and they shouldn't give one person more information than everyone else. For that reason a lot of this sort of information is given out only in the lectures where it's your own fault if you miss it. This is university, you shouldn't need to be spoonfed things, if you get a topic and have some examples of questions you should be able to deduce what sensible things to include are. In my experience you will get credit as long as you don't write something clearly irrelevant.
Original post by doodle_333
To be honest there are loads of students on some uni courses, they can't explain to everyone individually which specific things to mention in an essay and they shouldn't give one person more information than everyone else.

Why can't they?

For that reason a lot of this sort of information is given out only in the lectures where it's your own fault if you miss it.

Lucky I went to all (some...) of the lectures then :smile:

This is university, you shouldn't need to be spoonfed things

Of course - That's what I said in the OP

if you get a topic and have some examples of questions you should be able to deduce what sensible things to include are. In my experience you will get credit as long as you don't write something clearly irrelevant.

Err not quite.

What subject do you study?
(edited 7 years ago)
To be honest there are loads of students on some uni courses, they can't explain to everyone individually which specific things to mention in an essay and they shouldn't give one person more information than everyone else. For that reason a lot of this sort of information is given out only in the lectures where it's your own fault if you miss it. This is university, you shouldn't need to be spoonfed things, if you get a topic and have some examples of questions you should be able to deduce what sensible things to include are. In my experience you will get credit as long as you don't write something clearly irrelevant.

On my course if you interpret the question wrong and don't talk about the things the person setting the question finds relevant you'll be lucky to get a pass.
I think most unis are like this. we have like 1 past paper available with no mark schemes although tbf they did go through the problem questions in a 2 hour lecture which I didn't attend. they have conveniently not recorded that lecture either XD
The reason my lecturer posted that was because people were doing exactly that - turning up at her office.

So what happened when you came to the lecturer's office hours?
Original post by neal95
I think most unis are like this. we have like 1 past paper available with no mark schemes although tbf they did go through the problem questions in a 2 hour lecture which I didn't attend. they have conveniently not recorded that lecture either XD

Goodness, entitlement runs so high these days.

At the risk of sounding like a Monty Python sketch, "in my day" there were no recordings of lectures and no slides uploaded to an intranet. Most lectures involved writing on a blackboard or acetate. If you wanted to remember the stuff, you had to make the effort there and then!
Original post by chazwomaq

At the risk of sounding like a Monty Python sketch, "in my day" there were no recordings of lectures and no slides uploaded to an intranet. Most lectures involved writing on a blackboard or acetate. If you wanted to remember the stuff, you had to make the effort there and then!

I wasn't trying to be entitled! just stating the facts of lack of past papers etc. maybe its a good thing......also in your day you got paid to go uni, tech has changed a lot :P
Original post by chazwomaq

Is that the best way to teach? Do you think students find that style of lecturing the most engaging?
Original post by neal95
I wasn't trying to be entitled! just stating the facts of lack of past papers etc. maybe its a good thing......also in your day you got paid to go uni, tech has changed a lot :P

OK, fair enough. No grants when I went to uni BTW.
Is that the best way to teach? Do you think students find that style of lecturing the most engaging?

It depends on the teacher. But I found it more engaging generally yes, as you could almost literally see the lecturer's thought process as she wrote things out.

The trouble with PowerPoint is that student tend to see it as notes for them, when it's not. It's notes for the lecturer to deliver the lecture.
I Cant say like that i have never met any teacher like this they always encourage you.
We have one department like that, they don't give solutions but it's because the department is quite small and the exam papers are very similar each year so by providing answers everyone would get fairly high grades.

I think it's reasonable not to mark answers if no solutions are provided, it's a lot more work to do the latter than provide a mark scheme.
Reply 38
Why can't they?

Because lecturers don't have enough time. If there are 70 students and each wants a 20 minute one-to-one revision session, then that would take a lecturer 23 hours in total and would take up pretty much all of a working week. That's at a time when they might have Masters student dissertation setups/supervision, PhD supervision, dealing with budget issues towards the end of the academic year, starting their own summer research projects, Masters and PhD recruitment, final assignment marking/moderation etc etc. Lecturers don't just sit round doing nothing outside lecture times,.

Your best bet is to ask your Student Union rep to request group revision lectures.
Reply 39
Sorry, but they should never provide answers.

What he should do on the other hand, imo, is let you write an answer and then orally discuss it. But not in terms of marking, just in terms of the theory.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending