The Student Room Group

Can I still study medicine or dentistry??

I currently study psychology, sociology, RE and English lit.

I got an unconditional offer for english at Birmingham but I'm not sure if I want to do that anymore. So I was wondering if I took a gap year and studied Biology and Chemistry, would I have a chance to get into a medicine course next year??
Original post by Maryam101
I currently study psychology, sociology, RE and English lit.

I got an unconditional offer for english at Birmingham but I'm not sure if I want to do that anymore. So I was wondering if I took a gap year and studied Biology and Chemistry, would I have a chance to get into a medicine course next year??

There are foundation courses with the medicine degree for people who want to study medicine but don't necessarily have the subjects required so go check those out, it's much better than doing another 2 a levels.
I don't know if there is one for dentistry, but there is for medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
like the previous post mentioned, there are foundation courses, of course that means taking a year out to reapply. As for re doing a levels, you should check with universities whether they allow it since some want you to do a levels in 2 years, not sure whether it would count for 2 years or 4 years for you...

And lastly, I think you should research REALLY well what the jobs involve... The fact that this seems to be a last minute decision and that you're undecided between medicine and dentistry shows that you don't actually know much about the jobs since they are VERY different from each other. So you need to be truthful, are you looking to go into these professions for the job security/money/prestige or do you actually want to be a doctor/dentist, becuase its a loooong road.

The other alternative is to finish your english degree and apply for graduate entry.
(edited 7 years ago)
As said before medicine and dentistry are completely different so you'll have to think long and hard about which you like most.

It's worth noting that applying for foundation med is extremely competitive as the number of places is very small (generally only 20 spaces at only a couple of unis)! You'll also need AAA in your subjects and for some unis, (like Cardiff's foundation med) a really good set of GCSEs.

As for taking A-level biology and chem, I am pretty sure the vast majority of med schools want and expect you to finish your A-levels within 2 years. It'll be especially confusing now as the new A-levels have been phased in. If it comes to picking them up then I guess you'll have to email the medical schools for proper advice.

If you do decide on medicine (or dentistry) then you'll have to take the UKCAT (registration is open now for 2017 entry). You will also have to get some volunteering/work experience and other stuff to put on your personal statement.

Even if you do decide on 2017 entry foundation med, there will be a LOT of things you'll have to do between now and the Oct 15th medicine deadline. You'll have to sit your A2s, revise and sit the UKCAT, do work experience/volunteering, start another personal statement. It's doable but a big ask.

Best of luck for the future!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Freyr
like the previous post mentioned, there are foundation courses, of course that means taking a year out to reapply. As for re doing a levels, you should check with universities whether they allow it since some want you to do a levels in 2 years, not sure whether it would count for 2 years or 4 years for you...

And lastly, I think you should research REALLY well what the jobs involve... The fact that this seems to be a last minute decision and that you're undecided between medicine and dentistry shows that you don't actually know much about the jobs since they are VERY different from each other. So you need to be truthful, are you looking to go into these professions for the job security/money/prestige or do you actually want to be a doctor/dentist, becuase its a loooong road.

The other alternative is to finish your english degree and apply for graduate entry.

I definitely want to do medicine for job security, but I don't think I want to take a year off and reapply to foundation courses, but can I actually apply to graduate medicine without a science degree?? Do you know what universities do that?
Reply 5
Original post by Maryam101
I definitely want to do medicine for job security, but I don't think I want to take a year off and reapply to foundation courses, but can I actually apply to graduate medicine without a science degree?? Do you know what universities do that?

Yes you can apply to medicine without a science degree. It limits your options, but there are many universities that take any degree.
That said, I highly advise you against going for medicine seeing as your reasoning is only job security. There are plenty of stable jobs (accountany for example, there's always a need for accountants) and medicine shouldn't really be entered just for job security
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Freyr
Yes you can apply to medicine without a science degree. It limits your options, but there are many universities that take any degree.
That said, I highly advise you against going for medicine seeing as your reasoning is only job security. There are plenty of stable jobs (accountany for example, there's always a need for accountants) and medicine shouldn't really be entered just for job security

I agree
OP seems to be not willing to take a gap year either and graduate medicine is even tougher than foundation so do think about your options

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending