The Student Room Group

Could I get into uni with 2A's and 1AS?

I have:
Distinction star in I.T. (OCR Level 3 Cambridge Technical Certificate in IT)
Distinction in BTEC Level 3 Media (Creative Media Production (QCF)
A grade for my AS English Literature
I have in total 330 UCAS points as well.

I will also be finishing my level 4 foundation degree Apprenticeship by the time I get to the 2017 entry next year for uni. However, I know that may not count in the slightest... Idk.

I know a lot of unis are asking me for 3 A-levels. I don't have that, fine, but, then unis who ask for 2 A-levels ask for 2 AS levels to account for that and I only have 1.
So just wondering what kind of uni I could potentially get into? Interested really if the unis asking for 2 a-levels and 2 AS levels would consider my application.

Thanks
You really should do some research around what you're interested in studying, which unis offer the course and what the entry requirements are. I don't think you'll struggle.
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
You really should do some research around what you're interested in studying, which unis offer the course and what the entry requirements are. I don't think you'll struggle.

I have done the research, hence providing what I have found regarding entry requirements.
It's computer science I am interesting in doing, and the entry requirements are different for the places I have looked into.
So just wanted to know if my current qualifications were sufficient to even be considered! :smile:
Original post by JoelTLOU
I have done the research, hence providing what I have found regarding entry requirements.
It's computer science I am interesting in doing, and the entry requirements are different for the places I have looked into.
So just wanted to know if my current qualifications were sufficient to even be considered! :smile:

Well if you've looked up unis and know what their entry requirements are then you should be able to work out if you meet them. If unsure email and ask. No one on here is going to be able to tell you how a uni might view you!
Which Uni's have you got your sights on?
Reply 5
Original post by RandomStudent890
Which Uni's have you got your sights on?

Leicester Uni, Lincoln Uni, Staffordshire Uni, Nottingham Uni, or Birmingham Uni.
Leicester Uni, Lincoln Uni, Staffordshire Uni, Nottingham Uni, or Birmingham Uni.

Nice selection, but what do you want to study?
Reply 7
Original post by RandomStudent890
Nice selection, but what do you want to study?

Computer Science BSc/ Computing BSc are my main choices.
Computer Science BSc/ Computing BSc are my main choices.

Does your level 4 apprenticeship happen to give you a level 4 qualification worth 120 credits? If so they would likely consider that qualification rather than your level 3 grades, you're best emailing admissions when you have a mix of qualifications like these.
Reply 9
Original post by claireestelle
Does your level 4 apprenticeship happen to give you a level 4 qualification worth 120 credits? If so they would likely consider that qualification rather than your level 3 grades, you're best emailing admissions when you have a mix of qualifications like these.

I am not actually sure, I start it in September and it's a year long thing, so once I get more information about it I will know, but thank you I will keep that in mind!
I have:
Distinction star in I.T. (OCR Level 3 Cambridge Technical Certificate in IT)
Distinction in BTEC Level 3 Media (Creative Media Production (QCF)
A grade for my AS English Literature
I have in total 330 UCAS points as well.

I will also be finishing my level 4 foundation degree Apprenticeship by the time I get to the 2017 entry next year for uni. However, I know that may not count in the slightest... Idk.

I know a lot of unis are asking me for 3 A-levels. I don't have that, fine, but, then unis who ask for 2 A-levels ask for 2 AS levels to account for that and I only have 1.
So just wondering what kind of uni I could potentially get into? Interested really if the unis asking for 2 a-levels and 2 AS levels would consider my application.

Thanks

If the uni ask for points then youll probs be fine but if they ask for grades (say ABB) then they want 3 A levels
Reply 11
Original post by madmadmax321
If the uni ask for points then youll probs be fine but if they ask for grades (say ABB) then they want 3 A levels

I have been told that some Unis will be lenient with these requirements based on personal statement etc... It's not always a set in stone requirement to have these grades but definitely helps.
Correct me if I am wrong.
I have been told that some Unis will be lenient with these requirements based on personal statement etc... It's not always a set in stone requirement to have these grades but definitely helps.
Correct me if I am wrong.

Not set in stone to have the specific grades but to have 3 A-levels it mostly is (though some used to take 2 A-levels and 2 AS-levels)

I know at six forms and colleges the personal statement is really emphised as having a lot of weighting but for science, engineering and comp sci it really doesnt (unless say youve done something really amazing like build a app that took alot of skill and mentioned this in your PS)
Just ring up the universities you're interested in and ASK them.

They're not going to lie to you - they don't want you applying if you have the wrong qualifications.

They might be able to give you some guidance on what is the best use of your time.
Original post by PQ
Just ring up the universities you're interested in and ASK them.

They're not going to lie to you - they don't want you applying if you have the wrong qualifications.

They might be able to give you some guidance on what is the best use of your time.

Totally agree and since Computer science is a typically over subscribed course, it is important to ask Uni's first-hand

Quick Reply