The Student Room Group

Failed my AS!!

I have completely failed my AS exams and I will be lucky to get E's. However , I can redo all my exams next year with my A2 ones so this years grades wont stick. I know if I do this I will be able to get good grades. Im just worried no universities are going to even look at my application because of the grades. If I do well next year could a I reapply with my new results??? Or should I just resit?
Original post by 410141
However , I can redo all my exams next year with my A2 ones so this years grades wont stick.

Can you? Everyone I know who failed an AS exam weren't allowed to carry that subject on at A2 since you have to pass to continue the course.
Reply 2
Original post by Armastan
Can you? Everyone I know who failed an AS exam weren't allowed to carry that subject on at A2 since you have to pass to continue the course.

Because its a new specification you have to resit the exams next year as well as doing the exams for that year so I will be allowed to carry on my courses.
I am in the same position! I have already received two of my AS's in Art and Photography and turns out I got half marks! I am unsure as how to go ahead, as I know I can do so much better! Hopefully getting A's at A2, however now I doubt I will get any University offers for anything near what I want..
There doesn't seem to be any point in re-doing this year unless I don't get into the A2 courses.
Original post by 410141
Because its a new specification you have to resit the exams next year as well as doing the exams for that year so I will be allowed to carry on my courses.

If that's the case then I think it's best to resit the exams only if you think you're confident and capable of doing the resits on top of next years exams. The universities won't judge you for resitting if you manage to improve them since everyone has their struggles. Your resit grades next year should override the original grades you got so you shouldn't worry about universities not considering you. :h:
You should talk to your teachers. there is one opportunity next year to resit AS and A levels old spec. Not quite sure how it would work for you.
Reply 6
Original post by sofmoore
I am in the same position! I have already received two of my AS's in Art and Photography and turns out I got half marks! I am unsure as how to go ahead, as I know I can do so much better! Hopefully getting A's at A2, however now I doubt I will get any University offers for anything near what I want..
There doesn't seem to be any point in re-doing this year unless I don't get into the A2 courses.

Its the worst feeling when you know you can do better too 😥 do you think universities will take next years grades into consideration? Im just worried they're just going to instantly judge from the AS grades even if its not a true reflection.
Original post by 410141
Its the worst feeling when you know you can do better too 😥 do you think universities will take next years grades into consideration? Im just worried they're just going to instantly judge from the AS grades even if its not a true reflection.

All my teachers have told us this year doesn't matter, but it obviously does because it's what our predicted grades will no doubt be based upon, and univeristies will obviously wonder why we did badly! Mine was just a simple lack of motivation, which I'm so annoyed at myself for-.- But I've heard of people getting E's in their chosen AS's and still getting a good offer for Uni, so I'm just hoping my predicted grades are okay!
Reply 8
Original post by Armastan
If that's the case then I think it's best to resit the exams only if you think you're confident and capable of doing the resits on top of next years exams. The universities won't judge you for resitting if you manage to improve them since everyone has their struggles. Your resit grades next year should override the original grades you got so you shouldn't worry about universities not considering you. :h:

Thank you, I guess so. Im just worried incase they decline the applications before I get my second year grades I guess.
Reply 9
Original post by 999tigger
You should talk to your teachers. there is one opportunity next year to resit AS and A levels old spec. Not quite sure how it would work for you.

For new spec we have to resit all exams and for maths and further maths I can resit specific modules. But yes I should probably speak to my teachers, I just dont want to admit my failure to them 😳
Original post by 410141
Thank you, I guess so. Im just worried incase they decline the applications before I get my second year grades I guess.

Try not to stress over it, you'll have to state that you're resitting exams and they should base things off your predicted grades for next year instead because people may under or overperform so you're not going to get rule out. Good luck!
Reply 11
Original post by sofmoore
All my teachers have told us this year doesn't matter, but it obviously does because it's what our predicted grades will no doubt be based upon, and univeristies will obviously wonder why we did badly! Mine was just a simple lack of motivation, which I'm so annoyed at myself for-.- But I've heard of people getting E's in their chosen AS's and still getting a good offer for Uni, so I'm just hoping my predicted grades are okay!

This is exactly my situation! Hopefully you're right and they dont just go off this year. I just didnt really try either and its shown. Im going to try and find more out about the application process.
Original post by 410141
For new spec we have to resit all exams and for maths and further maths I can resit specific modules. But yes I should probably speak to my teachers, I just dont want to admit my failure to them 😳

If you are doing new spec as i expected then you have to think whether there is any point in you resitting, especially as they wont contribute anything.

whats done is done you just need the best grades you cna next year. If you dont have decent offers then either use clearing or apply next year.

Quick Reply

Latest