The Student Room Group

Edexcel S3 - Wednesday 25th May AM 2016

Scroll to see replies

Even though S3 is over, I thought I'd share an interesting expectation algebra question from the IAL paper with everyone. :biggrin:

I think the question went something like this:

Given that E(S2)\mathrm{E\left ( S^{2} \right )} is an unbiased estimator of σ2\sigma^{2}, and the data obtained is from a population with mean μ\mu and variance σ2\sigma^{2}, show that Y=18(i=18Xi28Xˉ2)\displaystyle \mathrm{Y = \frac{1}{8}\left ( \sum_{i=1}^{8}X_{i}^{2}-8\bar{X}^{2} \right )} is a biased estimator of σ2\sigma^{2}.

@Krollo, @physicsmaths - you guys might like this.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Krollo
Weird thing is, I would probably be a lot less stressed about exams if I knew I'd dropped marks already... at the moment it seems teachers / friends / folk online are kind of expecting me to get full ums again when I know it isn't realistically possible. Knowing that I've already dropped marks can make things much easier, since beyond that A Levels serve little real purpose for me provided I don't completely **** them up.

My brain is a strange place, sorry for pouring it out onto the s3 thread guys :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know what you mean but except people expect me to get kill every module(not 100 but like 90+) little do they know I always do the bare minimum to get the grade needed like in D2 i will learn one chapter to get the 10 ums i need. I hate maths modules tbh, i don't have consistency even in FP and mechanics to get straight raw 100s due to not paying enough attention to mark schemes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo
Weird thing is, I would probably be a lot less stressed about exams if I knew I'd dropped marks already... at the moment it seems teachers / friends / folk online are kind of expecting me to get full ums again when I know it isn't realistically possible. Knowing that I've already dropped marks can make things much easier, since beyond that A Levels serve little real purpose for me provided I don't completely **** them up.

My brain is a strange place, sorry for pouring it out onto the s3 thread guys :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

S'alright mate, just work your ass off for meeting your offer and nobody is going to care about UMS. You're already meme-worthy. :lol:
Original post by Ayman!
Even though S3 is over, I thought I'd share an interesting expectation algebra question from the IAL paper with everyone. :biggrin:

Given that E(S2)\mathrm{E\left ( S^{2} \right )} is an unbiased estimator of σ2\sigma^{2}, and the data obtained is from a population with mean μ\mu and variance σ2\sigma^{2}, show that Y=18(i=18Xi28Xˉ2)\displaystyle \mathrm{Y = \frac{1}{8}\left ( \sum_{i=1}^{8}X_{i}^{2}-8\bar{X}^{2} \right )} is a biased estimator of σ2\sigma^{2}.

Biased or unbiased?
Where have i gone rong
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1464264263.630770.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ayman!

Looks interesting. Before I get started is the 8xbar^2 within the summation, if you see what I mean?
Original post by Krollo
Looks interesting. Before I get started is the 8xbar^2 within the summation, if you see what I mean?

Nope.

Don't get too interested, it's only 2 marks. :tongue:
Original post by Zacken
Nope.

Don't get too interested, it's only 2 marks. :tongue:

Did i get it rite

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Did i get it rite

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah. :tongue:
Original post by Zacken
Nah. :tongue:

Fukin statistics. ********, the question is rong thats y. Mandem is sick

Posted from TSR Mobile
Remember that if S2S^2 is an unbiased estimator of σ2\sigma^2 then 7S2=i=18Xi8Xˉ7S^2 = \sum_{i=1}^8 X_i - 8\bar{X}
Worded the question slightly wrong; E(S^2) = sigma^2. :ninja:
Dis questions bare hard.
Man is baffed bruv.
Gna go do some step ii stats to make myself feel gud

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is late... oh well

what are we thinking boundaries are for this paper (A*-B) almost certain i got 65+ and am hoping it is at least 80 ums. Thanks
Original post by tazza ma razza
This is late... oh well

what are we thinking boundaries are for this paper (A*-B) almost certain i got 65+ and am hoping it is at least 80 ums. Thanks

A* probably 70. B around 55-57?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
A* probably 70. B around 55-57?

Posted from TSR Mobile

A would be 62ish then yh?
Original post by tazza ma razza
A would be 62ish then yh?

But higher 64 id say and 57 a B and 70 the A*.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How much UMS for 66/75
Anyone's opinion would be appreciated
Original post by Honey badger123
Anyone's opinion would be appreciated

wait until 11th august.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending