The Student Room Group

"Cruise ship forces transgender woman to use disabled toilet"

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by GwynLordOfCinder
Science and medicine doesn't change because of your feelings on the subject.
It possess the characteristics of a mental illness and so it is. Just because tumblr holds it as something special, doesn't change anything.
If you can give me actual logical reasons beyond, "it's 2016" as to why it should be declassified then I'll take you seriously.

Just like homosexuality was declassified as a mental illness, so should being transgendered. People can't help the way they're born and if they feel like they're in the wrong body, then more than likely they're right.

Times have changed but obviously the narrow-minded views of some people haven't...
@Beat I think you're ignorant by pandering to it and not accepting it's a mental disorder that requires counselling.
Reply 22
Original post by Madeline_H95
@Beat I think you're ignorant by pandering to it and not accepting it's a mental disorder that requires counselling.

Obviously you don't know anything about the topic of psychology do you love. So I recommend you keep with your day job and your ugly baby pictures to yourself.
Original post by Beat

You're forgetting some people are socially sensitive...

lmao then they can grow tf up :rofl:

You're comparing split personality and schizophrenia to being transgendered. Seriously, you idiots are the ones that need ECT if anything.

Lol, that's like saying you can't call a cold a physical illness because ebola is a way more serious physical illness. Give me actual science to why it doesn't fall into the category of mental illness and I'll take you seriously.

You're telling me I need ECT? For pointing out your lack of logic? What the hell is wrong with you?
Reply 24
lmao then they can grow tf up :rofl:

Lol, that's like saying you can't call a cold a physical illness because ebola is a way more serious physical illness. Give me actual science to why it doesn't fall into the category of mental illness and I'll take you seriously.

You're telling me I need ECT? For pointing out your lack of logic? What the hell is wrong with you?

And that's your only counterargument. Disgusting narrow-minded cretins on these forums thinking they're on their moral high horse.
Original post by Beat
Just like homosexuality was declassified as a mental illness, so should being transgendered. People can't help the way they're born and if they feel like they're in the wrong body, then more than likely they're right.

Times have changed but obviously the narrow-minded views of some people haven't...

Yes, because it was found that homosexuality doesn't fit the criteria as mental illness. So for the 3rd time, give me evidence that shows that Gender Dysphoria doesn't fit the criteria. Your feelings aren't enough to change the scientific process, regardless of how valuable tumblr tells you they are.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Beat
And that's your only counterargument. Disgusting narrow-minded cretins on these forums thinking they're on their moral high horse.

What is my only counter-argument? Demanding proof? Lol
Original post by Beat
Obviously you don't know anything about the topic of psychology do you love. So I recommend you keep with your day job and your ugly baby pictures to yourself.

Don't tell me you're one of those millions of psychology students who see themselves at experts because they got a distinction on an essay at uni?
Reply 28
Don't tell me you're one of those millions of psychology students who see themselves at experts because they got a distinction on an essay at uni?

Lol, no.
Reply 29
Yes, because it was found that homosexuality doesn't fit the criteria as mental illness. So for the 3rd time, give me evidence that shows that Gender Dysphoria doesn't fit the criteria. Your feelings aren't enough to change the scientific process, regardless of how valuable tumblr tells you they are.

Scientifically there's nothing wrong with being transgendered. That's your proof. And quite frankly I'm not an avid user of tumblr.
Reply 30
Original post by Rakas21
Well done. The cruise ship made the correct decision.

They sure did.
Original post by Beat
Lol, no.

Really? It sounds like it? If you're not, the assumption I know nothing about psychology shouldn't be made.
Disgusting. The person should be able to use the bathroom that accords with their legal sex, as would have most likely been declared and legally adapted. If not, I can understand the request.

Comments in this thread are ansolutely ludicrous - I cannot believe the extent to which some of you are so stuck in the past. The ignorance and bigotry is staggering.
Original post by Beat
Scientifically there's nothing wrong with being transgendered. That's your proof. And quite frankly I'm not an avid user of tumblr.

:banghead:

Writing scientifically in front of your opinion doesn't make it science.
I haven't stated my opinion either, it's irrelevant. I've stated the fact that gender dysphoria possesses all the characteristics of a mental illness.

And actually gender dysphoria causes a lot of distress to people with it and not just because of social reasons. There are extreme cases of people mutilating themselves because they don't feel they possess the correct genitals that align with their gender. Saying this is normal is extremely irresponsible and if anything is going to prevent the amount of resources being given to people with the condition.
Reply 34
:banghead:

Writing scientifically in front of your opinion doesn't make it science.
I haven't stated my opinion either, it's irrelevant. I've stated the fact that gender dysphoria possesses all the characteristics of a mental illness.

And actually gender dysphoria causes a lot of distress to people with it and not just because of social reasons. There are extreme cases of people mutilating themselves because they don't feel they possess the correct genitals that align with their gender. Saying this is normal is extremely irresponsible and if anything is going to prevent the amount of resources being given to people with the condition.

It's not normal it's extreme psychological harm. What I am saying is the concept of being transgendered is NORMAL. Not the harm done because a person isn't accepted. I had to highlight that to make the point clear to you, because you obviously don't understand.
Reply 35
Really? It sounds like it? If you're not, the assumption I know nothing about psychology shouldn't be made.

You don't know anything about psychology, it's not an assumption, it's fact, lovey.
Original post by Beat
You don't know anything about psychology, it's not an assumption, it's fact, lovey.

I'm simply believe experts who've practices in the field for decades and believe transgenderism is a mental disorder.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/michael-w-chapman/johns-hopkins-psychiatrist-transgender-mental-disorder-sex-change
Original post by Beat
It's not normal it's extreme psychological harm. What I am saying is the concept of being transgendered is NORMAL. Not the harm done because a person isn't accepted. I had to highlight that to make the point clear to you, because you obviously don't understand.

Oh then i agree with you lel. There's nothing wrong with trans people, as far as I'm concerned they've treated their gender dysphoria and their gender aligns with their sex (for all intents and purposes, obvs not biologically).
I feel you've not understood me either. There's nothing wrong in having gender dysphoria, just as in there's nothing wrong in having depression or other mental illnesses. But to say it isn't mental illness is incorrect, because it is and those who feel trapped in the wrong sex deserve help.

When I said self mutilation, I didn't mean self harm because of depression. I meant actually mutilating their genitals because they feel grotesque and out of place to them. Not because of social factors, but because they feel sick that they possess those genitals rather then the ones they feel they should have.
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't understand why people are getting attacked for saying that it is a mental disorder? That's what the evidence we have at the moment is pointing at, and this has nothing to do with morality? People with OCD and depression also have a mental disorder and there is nothing wrong with acknowledging that, it only becomes a problem when people are using your mental disorder to discriminate against you.
Original post by alkyone
I don't understand why people are getting attacked for saying that it is a mental disorder? That's what the evidence we have at the moment is pointing at, and this has nothing to do with morality? People with OCD and depression also have a mental disorder and there is nothing wrong with acknowledging that, it only becomes a problem when people are using your mental disorder to discriminate against you.

This, it's so backwards to assume that it's shameful or makes you less of a person to possess a mental disorder. Not to mention harmful for people who actually suffer with them

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending