The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by A-LJLB
I'm sticking to what I've personally been told, which is not to waste time on evaluation of individual studies as it doesn't gain credit easily as its not directly linked to evaluating the theory

Criticising individual studies can be credited if you highlight the weakness of the study and the implications it has on the studies usefulness in supporting the theory. (EDIT: has to be in context also)
Original post by A-LJLB
I'm sticking to what I've personally been told, which is not to waste time on evaluation of individual studies as it doesn't gain credit easily as its not directly linked to evaluating the theory

Im not saying you're wrong and its okay if you stick to what they have taught you because obviously thats just how they taught you but adding further evaluation to a study may be the difference between a 2-3 mark evaluation paragraph and a 3-4 mark well elaborated paragraph. Just saying.
Original post by perez_perez
Im not saying you're wrong and its okay if you stick to what they have taught you because obviously thats just how they taught you but adding further evaluation to a study may be the difference between a 2-3 mark evaluation paragraph and a 3-4 mark well elaborated paragraph. Just saying.

I do add evaluation and elaboration for each study/evaluation point but not criticising etc. The only time I criticise studies is by referencing the theory as a whole e.g "one issue with the theory of... is that a lot of the research...and therefore this has implications of..."

At the end of the day, I've been getting at least 22/24 for my essays so I'm obviously doing something right
(edited 7 years ago)
If you and other people in your class have identical essays
Do your marks go down?
Me! Apart from I'm doing depression instead of schizophrenia
Original post by Dmatb567
If you and other people in your class have identical essays
Do your marks go down?

I doubt it as long as you've hit the marks you should be okay, although the examiners might notice
Bit of a silly question. But are you guys going to write a plan for the essay questions?
Original post by Ladymusiclover
Bit of a silly question. But are you guys going to write a plan for the essay questions?

Im not personally writing a plan for the essay question in the exam purely because there's an hour and a half to bang out 3 essays. What I'm doing now is looking at the content, ensuring I know it well enough and then making a plan. Learn the plan, practice the essay. It's working for me and I have managed to jump from a D to an A/A* in the past couple of months from purely using this tactic. I find personally, it works better for PSYA4. But to be honest, I just really hate PSYA3.

All best :smile: :biggrin:
Original post by Nikita Marie
Im not personally writing a plan for the essay question in the exam purely because there's an hour and a half to bang out 3 essays. What I'm doing now is looking at the content, ensuring I know it well enough and then making a plan. Learn the plan, practice the essay. It's working for me and I have managed to jump from a D to an A/A* in the past couple of months from purely using this tactic. I find personally, it works better for PSYA4. But to be honest, I just really hate PSYA3.

All best :smile: :biggrin:

Okay thanks I'll try this!!
Reply 749
Evaluating studies gets you A03 marks.. So if you struggle just evaluate a study 😂
Can someone please tell me the structure of PSYA4. Depression.

Do we need to put in IDA?
How many theories?
Can anyone tell me if I've use the non falsifiable (IDA) correctly?
Outline and evaluate the evolutionary theory into infidelity and jealousy

Frightening, yet supportive evidence comes from Daly and WIlson who found a high percentage of men murdering intimate partners, stemming from their female partners infidelity. This is direct evidence supporting the evolutionary idea of jealousy from infidelity. However, it can be argued the evolutionary theory claims aggression is for survival, yet how does murdering the source of being able to spread his genes, aid survival? However evolutionary psychologist would argue in a bid to appear attractive to other females, aggression/ murdering your partner from jealousy for infidelity may act as an attractive behaviour aiding sexual survival. However the theory can be criticised for being non falsifiable as any behaviour into infidelity and jealousy can be explained via evolutionary ideas. Therefore we are unable to accept it as a science and it cannot be proved right or wrong.

Thanks in advance:smile:
Original post by Naveed Rahman
Can anyone tell me if I've use the non falsifiable (IDA) correctly?
Outline and evaluate the evolutionary theory into infidelity and jealousy

Frightening, yet supportive evidence comes from Daly and WIlson who found a high percentage of men murdering intimate partners, stemming from their female partners infidelity. This is direct evidence supporting the evolutionary idea of jealousy from infidelity. However, it can be argued the evolutionary theory claims aggression is for survival, yet how does murdering the source of being able to spread his genes, aid survival? However evolutionary psychologist would argue in a bid to appear attractive to other females, aggression/ murdering your partner from jealousy for infidelity may act as an attractive behaviour aiding sexual survival. However the theory can be criticised for being non falsifiable as any behaviour into infidelity and jealousy can be explained via evolutionary ideas. Therefore we are unable to accept it as a science and it cannot be proved right or wrong.

Thanks in advance:smile:

Non falsifiable just means not being able to prove it as false, so I believe you have used it correctly!

Also, just a heads up that the paragraph is very strong but you use the word 'however' too much! Change it out for a different word and it'll make the paragraph flow a lot better! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by A-LJLB
Non falsifiable just means not being able to prove it as false, so I believe you have used it correctly!

Also, just a heads up that the paragraph is very strong but you use the word 'however' too much! Change it out for a different word and it'll make the paragraph flow a lot better! :smile:

I didn't even notice! Haha just did that essay in timed conditions and thought i could add the non falsifiable argument but i hadn't planned it so it was a bit free style haha. But i agree thanks, ill change up the 'however' syndrome.
Original post by qwertyuipdoe
I doubt it as long as you've hit the marks you should be okay, although the examiners might notice

Thankyou my teacher gave my class a copy of my essay so i was worried some people might use it word for word meaning my marks go down
I didn't even notice! Haha just did that essay in timed conditions and thought i could add the non falsifiable argument but i hadn't planned it so it was a bit free style haha. But i agree thanks, ill change up the 'however' syndrome.

I'm no expert but it makes sense to me haha! No problem, good luck! :smile:
Original post by A-LJLB
I'm no expert but it makes sense to me haha! No problem, good luck! :smile:

Thanks & you too!

All the best:smile:
Because some of the PSYA4 papers were stolen last year. Is it possible that the ask the questions that was on the original due to only some people doing it?
Original post by Georginarosee
Because some of the PSYA4 papers were stolen last year. Is it possible that the ask the questions that was on the original due to only some people doing it?

Considering the fact, we are the last year to be sitting the PSYA3 and PSAY4 paper anything could come up. But perhaps if AQA aren't being jerks both papers questions may not come up but who knows.
Considering the fact, we are the last year to be sitting the PSYA3 and PSAY4 paper anything could come up. But perhaps if AQA aren't being jerks both papers questions may not come up but who knows.

Okay thank you.

Latest

Trending

Trending