The Student Room Group

OCR F211/F212 AS Biology Retake 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GLL1998
I explained water will enter down water pot grad, from high to low via osmosis..

then I talked about the adhesion/cohesion of water molecules as they are pulled up Xylem under pressure gradient, high to low under tension - jus the transpiration process

It was confusing because moss cells don't have vascular tissue, so how was you supposed to talk about this without mentioning the xylem?
Reply 61
Original post by elizabethRT
Can anyone remember what they got for the fill in the gap question? And for the heart auestion matching up the statements, did people get F A B E?

Left ventricle
Ventricular Septum
Cardiac muscle for the KLM one. Sorry
(edited 7 years ago)
how does stem cells differ from specialized cells? I have put you can find stem cells in cambium but not specialized cells?
Original post by tayoo
Left ventricle
Ventricular Septum
Cardiac muscle for the KLM one. Sorry

I put atrium, septum, ventricular wall
Reply 64
Original post by MotorboatMyGoat
It was confusing because moss cells don't have vascular tissue, so how was you supposed to talk about this without mentioning the xylem?

exactly haha I f***** that up :smile:

I wonder if ill pick up marks for discussing osmosis
Correct answers:

Cell Wall
Plasmodesmata
Endodermis
Casparian strip

I put Atria, Septum and Apex
Reply 67
Original post by Bellbird
how does stem cells differ from specialized cells? I have put you can find stem cells in cambium but not specialized cells?

Not sure what the answer is but I put stem cells are capable of mitosis
Reply 68
What did everyone get for the length of the thing on the insert? Was it 10 mm?
Original post by Bgxx
What do you think grade boundaries will be?

Higher than usual imo. Only people re sitting did it and a fairly easy paper, they will surely be higher
Original post by benjithestrange
I put Atria, Septum and Apex

Argh I crossed apex out. Did you draw a vertical line or horizontal?
Original post by Hkggy
What did everyone get for the length of the thing on the insert? Was it 10 mm?

Pretty sure it was 14mm
Reply 72
What did people put about how tall the moss could grow?
I think I put it cannot grow very tall or the stem would snap as it was thin, just talked utter crap
Argh I crossed apex out. Did you draw a vertical line or horizontal?

Vertical, but I had no idea, so don't take my word for it! Did everyone out exocytosis for water leaving amoeba?
Original post by GLL1998
I explained water will enter down water pot grad, from high to low via osmosis..

then I talked about the adhesion/cohesion of water molecules as they are pulled up Xylem under pressure gradient, high to low under tension - jus the transpiration process

There's no vacuolar tissue and therefore no xylem and so there isn't a transpiration stream. I just talked about apoplast, symplast and vacuolar pathways, talking about plasmodesmata and how water does via osmosis from a high water potential to a low water potential.
Original post by GLL1998
What did people put about how tall the moss could grow?
I think I put it cannot grow very tall or the stem would snap as it was thin, just talked utter crap

It can only grow relatively small because growing too large would lower the surface area to volume ratio so simple diffusion/osmosis won't be sufficient.

It has to stay small because it doesn't have xylem/phloem to transport substances
Original post by benjithestrange
Vertical, but I had no idea, so don't take my word for it! Did everyone out exocytosis for water leaving amoeba?

I put horizontal kind of at an angle but that baffled me :s-smilie:
Just because there wasn't a valve connecting the two chambers so I thought they had to be either side of the septum.

I put exocytosis to yes! First of all saw water moving and instinctively put osmosis but then read the question properly and changed it. Phew!
Original post by AlexH123
Pretty sure it was 14mm

I got 14mm too
Can anyone tell me what the hell a dicotyledonous plant is? and also; What having no vascular tissue can do to the growth of moss?
that exam was terrible, more so than last year and that's saying something.
I failed again

That's what I got. What a weird question though!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending