The Student Room Group

Guardian University League Tables 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by northwestsixth
Yes the Guardian shouldn't be followed

the Guardian should be used for the second sift. When you're deliberating between two universities more or less equally ranked in the Times or the Telegraph, then go to the Guardian to decide how you pick between these two.
Original post by Metrododo
Although I hope I will have good lecturers (which they seem to be according to friends in the year above, plus 90+ student satisfaction for my course allegedly) - I care much more about the actual prestige of the Uni and consequently the intrinsic links it has with various industries to help obtain certain graduate jobs.

Citations/faculty etc may indeed be less directly useful to an undergrad, but having professors that are the top of the field could prove to be a much more enriching experience. Quite frankly, I find that having 3/8 of the criteria for the Guardian rankings being directly linked to satisfaction quite risible - it's an important factor, yes, but it should only be 1/8. Furthermore, most of the academic literature is already available in various papers, textbooks, etc. either online or at the Universities' respective libraries, so a lot of the actual preparation is what you make of it anyway :smile:

The international rankings and citations aren't based on employers opinions of prestige though. They're based on the opinions of academics.

Much as I admire academics they're pretty much the definition of people who have an extremely narrow, focused experience of the world. The fact is they're in that job because they're experts in an extremely focused area of knowledge. That might not mean they're the best people to take careers advice from unless you're aiming for a career in academia.
Original post by northwestsixth
And the Russell Group isn't about marketing and bias? Yes the Guardian shouldn't be followed, but students should make their minds up when they go visit universities. All types of prestigious groups and league tables should be abolished so each university can compete for students with each other, and gain a reputation in the academic world and not by being part of a group which is no longer accurate or being a 'top 10' according to the Guardian.

Yes, you do have a point there and I don't disagree.
Reply 83
Original post by Broscientist
Also the international rankings DO include reputation among employers...

Yes QS gives it a massive 10% weighting. Shanghai (ARWU) not at all.

Which is probably rather more than the weighting employers put on it when they are interviewing you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JohnGreek
I'm surprised no one has mentioned anything about the subject rankings yet...

I personally was quite surprised in the fall of Durham and Nottingham, and the rise of KCL, in the Law rankings on both the Guardian and Complete University Guide. As always, Oxbridge remained #1 for Law across all the rankings I've seen so far, followed by LSE and UCL.. :smile:

It shows what a gift of 20 million squid will do

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/newsevents/news/newsrecords/2012/03March/40m-investment-programme-for-School-of-Law.aspx
Original post by EconEast
Agreed, never said it was a good way of ranking universities; I'd stick to the complete university guide table personally.

The complete guide is crap aswell. Dont fall for any of them
Original post by JohnGreek
I'm surprised no one has mentioned anything about the subject rankings yet...

I personally was quite surprised in the fall of Durham and Nottingham, and the rise of KCL, in the Law rankings on both the Guardian and Complete University Guide. As always, Oxbridge remained #1 for Law across all the rankings I've seen so far, followed by LSE and UCL.. :smile:

Don't forget Greenwich is better than Bristol and Manchester
Such as? And indeed they clearly have a high percentage of grad jobs after 6 months, but are these jobs necessarily as competitive as those obtained by peers at Imperial, LSE, Warwick, UCL, or even KCL? If anything these rankings are mostly a reflection of who's happy at University - hence the abysmal ranking for KCL

Can't believe your just dismissing happiness as if it isn't important. Also don't assume traditional universities will make it easier for your employment. I know people at KCL many actually can't find a job (politics/history grads) but they are also extremely unhappy people. Kings from what i hear is a lonely place. However friend at Bath due to her uni placement in parliament as a result now has a fantastic job but most importantly had the best 3 years of life with exciting fun people
Original post by peachpetals
Can't believe your just dismissing happiness as if it isn't important. Also don't assume traditional universities will make it easier for your employment. I know people at KCL many actually can't find a job (politics/history grads) but they are also extremely unhappy people. Kings from what i hear is a lonely place. However friend at Bath due to her uni placement in parliament as a result now has a fantastic job but most importantly had the best 3 years of life with exciting fun people

Oh I have many friends at KCL and indeed it is pretty dire and an extreme point, where happiness levels are abysmal; and their careers service is equally terrible. My point was more guided towards UCL, LSE, Imperial that simply don't belong below certain of the Universities in the rankings. But ultimately if you really have trouble making friends there's always opportunities at socials or societies, let alone your course mates :smile:
Reply 89

It is difficult to generalize. I have friends at Kings who love it, and a number at Bath whom are very disappointed, as Bath promotes the idea that they have "special " connections with companies for internships, when in fact they don't, and many are scrambling to find something, anything, before the deadline.
Oh I have many friends at KCL and indeed it is pretty dire and an extreme point, where happiness levels are abysmal; and their careers service is equally terrible. My point was more guided towards UCL, LSE, Imperial that simply don't belong below certain of the Universities in the rankings. But ultimately if you really have trouble making friends there's always opportunities at socials or societies, let alone your course mates :smile:

I agree some of those universities definitely shouldn't be ranked as low as they were. It can in fact be harmful as some people will truly believe Loughborough is more prestigious than UCL, LSE etc.
I agree some of those universities definitely shouldn't be ranked as low as they were. It can in fact be harmful as some people will truly believe Loughborough is more prestigious than UCL, LSE etc.

And that is why, I, as an international student, use international rankings.

Even though international rankings do not have completely opinionated reviews such as 'happiness', they are highly regarded and is obviously better when you're looking for jobs abroad(I would never want to work in the UK).
I would believe that employers look at QS, ARWU and THE when comparing applicants. These 3 rankings are highly respcted and highly standardised.

I've seen uni's jump 20 places in a single year in Brit rankings. What a load of bullsh*t. An employer would be extremely stupid to rely on UK rankings, and so are you guys.

For student satisfaction, the reason why UCL, LSE and KCL are so low is because most(NOT ALL) of those students are Oxbridge rejects. They had set their standards on Oxbridge, and obviously didn't get in. Now, an Oxbridge minded student would obviously be pissed at a place like UCL. Just a bit of philosophy here.
(edited 7 years ago)
Eh how is Falmouth above Edinburgh and Nottingham?? It's 58th on the Complete University Guide and 21st on here..
Original post by george_c00per
eh how is falmouth above edinburgh and nottingham?? It's 58th on the complete university guide and 21st on here..

fu***** bullsh**. rankings ****
Original post by KingYusHalo
And that is why, I, as an international student, use international rankings.

Even though international rankings do not have completely opinionated reviews such as 'happiness', they are highly regarded and is obviously better when you're looking for jobs abroad(I would never want to work in the UK).
I would believe that employers look at QS, ARWU and THE when comparing applicants. These 3 rankings are highly respcted and highly standardised.

I've seen uni's jump 20 places in a single year in Brit rankings. What a load of bullsh*t. An employer would be extremely stupid to rely on UK rankings, and so are you guys.

For student satisfaction, the reason why UCL, LSE and KCL are so low is because most(NOT ALL) of those students are Oxbridge rejects. They had set their standards on Oxbridge, and obviously didn't get in. Now, an Oxbridge minded student would obviously be pissed at a place like UCL. Just a bit of philosophy here.

Agree completely with your first point - and not so much for the second.

There will be a very moderate bitterness for some in respect to Oxbridge (I personally didn't apply and only cared about UCL or LSE), but mostly because the oxbridge tutoring system is better for most degrees or seen as definitely better which isn't necessarily the case for some grad jobs
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 95

]

No they don't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill

Whatever you say fam. Have fun choosing Loughborough and enjoying your ass of for the next 3 years while I go to UCL. But please keep in mind, I'm getting the job
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 97
Whatever you say fam. Have fun choosing Loughborough and enjoying your ass of for the next 3 years while I go to UCL. But please keep in mind, I'm getting the job

And I recruit people. I'm not a student.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
And I recruit people. I'm not a student.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh man, take a chill. Just kiddin'.
Original post by george_c00per
Eh how is Falmouth above Edinburgh and Nottingham?? It's 58th on the Complete University Guide and 21st on here..

It's absolutely ridiculous. I've never even heard of Falmouth and they're trying to tell us it's better than 12, I repeat TWELVE, Russel Group unis? What a joke.

Quick Reply

Latest