The Student Room Group

Soft A-levels??

So, with one exam left in my AS studies, I found out that some universities consider some a-levels as 'soft'... I was homeschooled so had no idea that not all a-levels were created equal. I'm taking media studies, sociology and creative writing. I just chose subjects I enjoy. But now i'm worried that all my a-levels aren't taken seriously by universities! I want to study Japanese at university (I've been learning Japanese for 3 years already) but I have no qualifications in it. Am I freaking out for no reason or??
You should start doing research now as to what you will need.
The traditional older A levels tend to be safe. You should do some research and contact the course organisers for further guidance.
Will it be possible for you to get any language qualifications?
http://university.which.co.uk/subjects/japanese

You dont need to freak out, but you should do research so you have a clear idea on what you need.
Original post by amxlia
So, with one exam left in my AS studies, I found out that some universities consider some a-levels as 'soft'... I was homeschooled so had no idea that not all a-levels were created equal. I'm taking media studies, sociology and creative writing. I just chose subjects I enjoy. But now i'm worried that all my a-levels aren't taken seriously by universities! I want to study Japanese at university (I've been learning Japanese for 3 years already) but I have no qualifications in it. Am I freaking out for no reason or??

I'm actually getting sick of this argument :redface: Media Studies and Sociology are both a lot harder than people think; most of the people who say they are 'soft' have never studied them. I'm doing Film Studies, Psychology and Sociology and received offers from Birmingham and Cardiff among others. I'd suggest looking at university websites to see if there are any specific requirements. Some that I've just looked at require a foreign language A-Level whilst others want you to take a Japanese proficiency test.

Best of luck :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by emiloujess
I'm actually getting sick of this argument :redface: Media Studies and Sociology are both a lot harder than people think; most of the people who say they are 'soft' have never studied them. I'm doing Film Studies, Psychology and Sociology and received offers from Birmingham and Cardiff among others. I'd suggest looking at university websites to see if there are any specific requirements. Some that I've just looked at require a foreign language A-Level whilst others want you to take a Japanese proficiency test.

We understand that they may be hard, but in the university eyes they are seen as a softer subject
Reply 4

Thanks (: I was planning on doing a proficiency test in November anyway! And I agree, sociology particularly I didn't find very 'soft' :tongue:. I think i'll just continue all my subjects in A2 since I enjoy them and ride it out, see where I end up haha :smile:

The point is that employers and Uni Admissions officers aren't sick of this argument.
Original post by amxlia
Thanks (: I was planning on doing a proficiency test in November anyway! And I agree, sociology particularly I didn't find very 'soft' :tongue:. I think i'll just continue all my subjects in A2 since I enjoy them and ride it out, see where I end up haha :smile:

Best of luck 😊

Quick Reply

Latest