The Student Room Group

Eduqas AS Biology anyone??? B400U10-1

Just sat the eduqas (part of WJEC) AS Bio exam but it seems that my college is one of the only ones to have sat it as i can't find anything on here or twitter about it? If you did sit it then how did you find it? I thought it was quite tricky and bit harsh of them to put so many in detail questions about things only briefly covered in the textbook and yet all the in depth topics i spent ages learning like the biomolecules topic and the really in depth stuff about protein synthesis didn't come up at all.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah I sat it too, completely agree with you and like I knew how it was going to be a lot more application but didn't expect hat is have to apply almost all of the questions:/ how did you feel about timing? I ran out so only managed to put about half the info I wanted for the 10matker...
Reply 2
Original post by alizmesz
Yeah I sat it too, completely agree with you and like I knew how it was going to be a lot more application but didn't expect hat is have to apply almost all of the questions:/ how did you feel about timing? I ran out so only managed to put about half the info I wanted for the 10matker...

I thought i would be fine but i got to the middle of the paper with only half an hour left. I didn't really think i had that much to put on the last one compared to others, so i managed to get down everything i could have thought of. What kind of things did you/were you going to write for it? I thought it was really vague just putting 'significance' but as they had talked about species survival i put about genetic variation for meiosis and growth and repair for mitosis. i also didn't really know why meiosis can't produce tumors so i just said that once the cells were haploid they couldn't divide any more and that as they were made in reproductive organs they couldn't spread around the body
Reply 3
I completely agree, the timing was a real problem and there were so many applied questions. I just don't know what more I could have done. Any predictions for grade boundaries?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I sat it as well and i found the question on ebola tricky but that might just be down to me not going on viruses in much depth?
Original post by mooshoo
I sat it as well and i found the question on ebola tricky but that might just be down to me not going on viruses in much depth?
we didn't learn much about virus, we literally have 3 short sentences of information on it, only the basics... what did you put for the biochemical properties/ characteristics, I wasn't certain what was meant by that? :frown:

Original post by Segsation
I thought i would be fine but i got to the middle of the paper with only half an hour left. I didn't really think i had that much to put on the last one compared to others, so i managed to get down everything i could have thought of. What kind of things did you/were you going to write for it? I thought it was really vague just putting 'significance' but as they had talked about species survival i put about genetic variation for meiosis and growth and repair for mitosis. i also didn't really know why meiosis can't produce tumors so i just said that once the cells were haploid they couldn't divide any more and that as they were made in reproductive organs they couldn't spread around the body
I know right! I run out of time too so I rushed the rest of the paper and I wasn't sure why meiosis didn't produce tumours, so I ignored that part as I didn't really have time to actually think about it! I felt as though I would have done much better if I had more time!!! :frown:
Glad I'm not the only one who thought it was harsh! Didn't feel like I could write much for the 9 marker, but the graph question drained the life out of me. I'm also annoyed that out of all the biological molecules, they chose the really brief concepts that I brushed over. Could have been worse though, right?
Reply 7
These applied questions...
I wrote every little detail relevant to the question, i did almost 4 pages on that 9 marker talking about crossing over and independent assortment in meiosis and diploid numbers, oncogenes and all that good stuff😂 Anyone know what grade boundaries will be like?
Reply 8
Original post by RedRosesBloom
we didn't learn much about virus, we literally have 3 short sentences of information on it, only the basics... what did you put for the biochemical properties/ characteristics, I wasn't certain what was meant by that? :frown:

I put that they contained nucleic acid and had a protein layer called the capsid because that was basically all the book said about them. Not really sure how we were supposed to get the other bits about viruses
Original post by Thash12
These applied questions...
I wrote every little detail relevant to the question, i did almost 4 pages on that 9 marker talking about crossing over and independent assortment in meiosis and diploid numbers, oncogenes and all that good stuff😂 Anyone know what grade boundaries will be like?
That was a pretty nice question (expect for not knowing why meiosis doesn't produce tumours) although would have been nice if i had time to actually do it, only managed to write about a page. :frown:

Original post by Segsation
I put that they contained nucleic acid and had a protein layer called the capsid because that was basically all the book said about them. Not really sure how we were supposed to get the other bits about viruses
Oh, i said they contained were coated in protein and contained RNA?
Reply 10
Original post by RedRosesBloom
That was a pretty nice question (expect for not knowing why meiosis doesn't produce tumours) although would have been nice if i had time to actually do it, only managed to write about a page. :frown:

Oh, i said they contained were coated in protein and contained RNA?

The question asked why diagram B can cause cancer. So if you wrote about mitosis not being controlled and build of cells to form a tumour and so on then i assume you would get the marks. The question didn't want meiosis and cancer i don't think it did anyway, you're all good :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
That was the worst exam I've had so far :frown: I felt like crying half way through the exam. I revised so much and went over every topic over and over again but none of the them came up, only the odd few things about enzymes Dna and proteins. I need to have a word with whoever wrote that bloody hellish paper :angry:
Reply 12
For the virus question:
-They were looking for the fact that the binding sites on the Ebola virus had a similar structure to the receptor sites on the extrinsic proteins. This causes a chemical change in the cell, causing the virus to enter the cell by endocytosis.

For the 9 Marker:
-Due to the fact that mitosis produces genetically identical cells, all of the cells produced from mitosis will have the cancerous mutation, there they will all divide uncontrollably, producing more cancer cells, and forming a tumor.
-Because all of the cells produced from meiosis are genetically different, it is unlikely that there will be many cells produced with the cancerous mutation. Because the cells mostly are healthy, the cancer cells cannot divide fast enough to form a tumor.

Something like that, I believe.
Reply 13
IKR :frown: I went in feeling so confident. No amount of revision really helped with that paper did it? :frown:
praying for low grade boundaries!
Reply 14
Everyone messed up on that in my college....it was really dodgy, im expecting really low grade boundaries

For BY1(old spec) there was a paper with 45/70 i think for an A which is damnnn low considering the old spec was mostly recall, so im guessing about 45-50 for an A.
I have made a google docs file on my thread... link to thread = http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4122033
Original post by Frog786
IKR :frown: I went in feeling so confident. No amount of revision really helped with that paper did it? :frown:

same, i hope for low grade boundaries too! me and 2 of my friends actually didnt have time to get on to the 9 mark question and i missed a few questions out halfway through the paper too!!

even though i practiced all papers from 2009 in the time limit, me and other people found it really hard to keep up with time, i think it's because lots of questions were application and i needed longer to think about what it was asking :frown:

frustrating because i know mitosis and meiosis well! :frown:
just got to hope i ace paper 2 lol
Original post by Thash12
The question asked why diagram B can cause cancer. So if you wrote about mitosis not being controlled and build of cells to form a tumour and so on then i assume you would get the marks. The question didn't want meiosis and cancer i don't think it did anyway, you're all good :smile:
Pheww. :smile:

Original post by Ramoose
For the virus question:
-They were looking for the fact that the binding sites on the Ebola virus had a similar structure to the receptor sites on the extrinsic proteins. This causes a chemical change in the cell, causing the virus to enter the cell by endocytosis.

For the 9 Marker:
-Due to the fact that mitosis produces genetically identical cells, all of the cells produced from mitosis will have the cancerous mutation, there they will all divide uncontrollably, producing more cancer cells, and forming a tumor.
-Because all of the cells produced from meiosis are genetically different, it is unlikely that there will be many cells produced with the cancerous mutation. Because the cells mostly are healthy, the cancer cells cannot divide fast enough to form a tumor.

Something like that, I believe.
For the Ebola virus I only talked about endocytosis (phagocytosis) really, I didn't mention about the receptor sites on the extrinsic proteins!!! :frown:

Original post by DamnThatsFruity
same, i hope for low grade boundaries too! me and 2 of my friends actually didnt have time to get on to the 9 mark question and i missed a few questions out halfway through the paper too!!

even though i practiced all papers from 2009 in the time limit, me and other people found it really hard to keep up with time, i think it's because lots of questions were application and i needed longer to think about what it was asking :frown:

frustrating because i know mitosis and meiosis well! :frown:
just got to hope i ace paper 2 lol
Me too, a lot of people at my college didn't finish either, even some who had extra time! I have a chemistry exam tomorrow and this has really thrown me out of the tracks :frown:
Original post by Frog786
I felt pretty prepared for the exam, I felt like I knew the content pretty well. This paper was suppose to make up for component 2! :unimpressed:
Original post by goharis123
I have made a google docs file on my thread... link to thread = http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4122033
That's for Edexcel not Eduqas?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending