The Student Room Group

My Road to A* everywhere

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nisha.sri
Yes same !! I'm kinda excited :h: I feel confident too :smile:

That's really good - best of luck :smile:
Original post by hannahrobinsxn
how have you revised for your exams? how much time did you give yourself to revise? great results by the way :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't really have a "structure" to be honest. For subjects like geography, history, or English I studied the day before since I could not have been bothered to do it earlier than that. I have a photographic memory so it wasn't really hard for me to remember so much information at once. Same goes for maths, as I only did two past papers the day before my exam since I was confident in that subject either way.

For subjects like science I took my flash cards I wrote doing the last two years and simply read them a couple times one week before my exam started. Then I went to do past papers, marked them, and learned from my mistakes. That was when I took my exam yesterday I was really confident and had no troubles solving it whatsoever :smile:

I advise you write flash cards as you go along with your subject before your exams. That way you have waaaay less work for the actual exams, and the whole thing will be much easier to handle. Just remember to focus more on the subjects you're weak at, since there is no much point revising something you know you candso really well.
Original post by brainzistheword

You've got through them quick :biggrin: Fingers crossed you get the 8 :wink:

Haha yes, that would be nice! I am however thinking of retaking an exam or two if I feel I underachieved :wink:
Original post by Mac117
Haha yes, that would be nice! I am however thinking of retaking an exam or two if I feel I underachieved :wink:

That's very committed - I don't think my school would let me do that
That's really good - best of luck :smile:

You are not spending too much time on TSR?

I remember I once asked them to ban my account so I could focus more on studying.

so how are you doing with papers till late? i expect all A*s from you.. good luck

Well due to personal issues I did not do my best in some of the exams, which might be the reason for A's where there should've been A*s. My school does not mind but they say I should wait for my results first. :P
That maths paper was lovely! The only mistake I've discovered so far is stupidly forgetting to half my answer on the last question so it was over 6 instead of 12 :angry: but that'll still mean 98ish marks if I haven't dropped any more anywhere else! :biggrin:

It was very nice not to have to revise last night as I was so confident for maths too!

EDIT: also found out I massively screwed up the standard form question whoops
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by NiamhM1801
That maths paper was lovely! The only mistake I've discovered so far is stupidly forgetting to half my answer on the last question so it was over 6 instead of 12 :angry: but that'll still mean 98ish marks if I haven't dropped any more anywhere else! :biggrin:

It was very nice not to have to revise last night as I was so confident for maths too!

I think it was really nice too! Except I completely disregarded the alternate segment theorem and so didn't finish that circle theorem question. It's a shame because I'm usually good at those questions.
Glad you found it so good, sounds like you really deserve it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by typicalstudent1
I think it was really nice too! Except I completely disregarded the alternate segment theorem and so didn't finish that circle theorem question. It's a shame because I'm usually good at those questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's good :smile: and every time I see a tangent and a circle my mind just goes ALTERNATE SEGMENT so that's why I got it, although I think I did it in a pretty complicated way haha.
Aw thank you! Glad you found it nice too :h:
Guys, one question. In my exam I had a week ago I used the word "badass" for my character description. I used it mainly just to make the examiner chuckle, and it was the only non-descriptive word I used in both of my essays. Other than that they were both good, abstract, and addressed the questions adequately.

Will they take away marks for using this word? It did have that "feel" in the scene, and we even used that word in class (of course not seriously, but just as something fun). I'm afraid the examiner will see me therefore as less "mature". Thankfully I used that word in my last paragraph of my second essay, so they'll get to see that I am indeed serious about literature and its analysis.

So, should I worry? Or will they most likely realise it was simply to "brighten up the mood"? I'm a good literature student and have been scoring 23/25+ most of the two years in the course. I wouldn't want the stupid word to ruin my chances of an A*.

Ps. I do have another literature paper, but I will definitely not do something stupid like that again. Learned from my mistake.

Yeh i thought it was nice too :0

I know, the paper was nice! I checked the unofficial mark scheme and I think I got at least 88 minimum. I screwed up in the circle theorem question and the surds question. Did you do the Edexcel? Loads of people in my school said it was hard.

Original post by Mac117
Guys, one question. In my exam I had a week ago I used the word "badass" for my character description. I used it mainly just to make the examiner chuckle, and it was the only non-descriptive word I used in both of my essays. Other than that they were both good, abstract, and addressed the questions adequately.

Will they take away marks for using this word? It did have that "feel" in the scene, and we even used that word in class (of course not seriously, but just as something fun). I'm afraid the examiner will see me therefore as less "mature". Thankfully I used that word in my last paragraph of my second essay, so they'll get to see that I am indeed serious about literature and its analysis.

So, should I worry? Or will they most likely realise it was simply to "brighten up the mood"? I'm a good literature student and have been scoring 23/25+ most of the two years in the course. I wouldn't want the stupid word to ruin my chances of an A*.

Ps. I do have another literature paper, but I will definitely not do something stupid like that again. Learned from my mistake.

I don't think so but they may take a mark of if you are assessed in your Spag.
I'm sure your examiner won't mind! They may actually chuckle!:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sahra30013
I know, the paper was nice! I checked the unofficial mark scheme and I think I got at least 88 minimum. I screwed up in the circle theorem question and the surds question. Did you do the Edexcel? Loads of people in my school said it was hard.

I don't think so but they may take a mark of if you are asses in your Spag.

I found the maths paper quite good. It was much easier than last year's paper. Where did you get the unofficial mark scheme from ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

People in my school said it was hard as but I guess they didn't revise as well as other people. Idk really.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't counted up but I think I've got in the low 90s which is good :smile:
I think I only screwed up 3 questions (so probably lost about 6ish marks) so I'm relatively happy!
And yeah I did Edexcel - all of my friends and I found it easy but I have a feeling the grade boundaries will be fairly low as there were some pretty high level stuff in there that slightly lower ability pupils will have found hard (basically the entire second half of the paper) which is good for us as it means we're guaranteed pretty high A*s :h:

EDIT: Looked at the unofficial mark scheme now that it's complete and I was right for thinking low 90s - I got 91. Quite happy with it as I made a LOT of silly mistakes!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MR.ANONYMOUS 786
I found the maths paper quite good. It was much easier than last year's paper. Where did you get the unofficial mark scheme from ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Definitely easier than last year's. And there are a few unofficial mark schemes going around on here, a quick search will bring one up.
I haven't counted up but I think I've got in the low 90s which is good :smile:
I think I only screwed up 3 questions (so probably lost about 6ish marks) so I'm relatively happy!
And yeah I did Edexcel - all of my friends and I found it easy but I have a feeling the grade boundaries will be fairly low as there were some pretty high level stuff in there that slightly lower ability pupils will have found hard (basically the entire second half of the paper) which is good for us as it means we're guaranteed pretty high A*s :h:

That's good to know. I'd be happy with an A because Maths its not my best subject. I excel more at written subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MR.ANONYMOUS 786
That's good to know. I'd be happy with an A because Maths is jot my best subject. I excel more at written subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

An A is a very good grade! :smile:
And I'm the opposite, English is one of my weakest subjects and Maths is my best. I'd definitely fail History if I did it that's for sure!
Original post by Ibrahim Rampuri
so how are you doing with papers till late? i expect all A*s from you.. good luck

Practice papers have been the main focus of my revision, and the exams I have sat so far have not always been the nicest but I gave it my all - Thank you - are you doing exams? Good luck if you are!

Original post by Mac117
Well due to personal issues I did not do my best in some of the exams, which might be the reason for A's where there should've been A*s. My school does not mind but they say I should wait for my results first. :P

Oh sorry to hear that! I'm sure you won't need to retake any of them :smile:

It was sooooo good, I was surprised - we went through it in class and I have between 90-95 marks so that's pleasing

Original post by typicalstudent1

Shame about the circle theorem but I'm sure you've aced it - best of luck with the rest of your exams :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending