The Student Room Group

WJEC BIOLOGY BY1 2016 (NEW AS) Thread

When I say WJEC Biology I really mean aquatic life 101 am I right?
Haven't seen a thread for this yet. How did everyone feel?

(I'm here re-evaluating my life)
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I thought it was absolutely awful, I've never sat such a bad exam in my life! I don't think I got any marks on the fish question as I only had 5 minutes left at the end to complete it, so didn't even have time to read the question properly.
Reply 2
Original post by maya_jadee
I thought it was absolutely awful, I've never sat such a bad exam in my life! I don't think I got any marks on the fish question as I only had 5 minutes left at the end to complete it, so didn't even have time to read the question properly.

The only redeeming factor was the question at the end for me, the rest of the questions were worded horribly in my opinion. So you're not alone on this one
Genuinely the worst exam I've ever sat. The QER question was a lifesaver though. But seriously, what was the whole deal with the fish question and the apparently non-existent organelles???
I started crying as soon as a came out of that exam . For somebody who usually Finds biology quite doable , I thought that was an awful paper . It took me about 5 minutes on every question to work out what they actually wanted me to say 😒
Also, the fact that fish and gills and oxygen comes up on BY2 made it even more confusing so by the end of it, I wasn't even sure what I was on about :/
Original post by robinback
The only redeeming factor was the question at the end for me, the rest of the questions were worded horribly in my opinion. So you're not alone on this one

I think they were some of the only marks I got, and even then I had to rush the essay. Did you manage to work out what the organelles were?
Didyou guys do a resit or something because my Biology wjec paper didnt have any question of fish. My essay question was on cell division. Did you guys have this too?
its the biggest ******** ive ever seen in my life. The amount of work ive put into revising the whole syllabus has gone to waste. I LITERALLY understand and memorized the whole unit but still struggled.

Here are some of my answers not in order: (simplified)

Sap Vacuole, Chloroplasts
Metaphase, Cytokinesis
1.5 x10^5 (the density question)
Other parts of the cell absorbed the stain which blocks light
cell wall is inelastic which opposes hydrostatic pressure when cytoplasm expands

PS DID ANYONE ELSE WRITE DOWN ATLEAST 4 OSMOSIS RELATED ANSWERS?
Original post by hamzakalinle
Didyou guys do a resit or something because my Biology wjec paper didnt have any question of fish. My essay question was on cell division. Did you guys have this too?

This is the new spec
Reply 10
At a guess I put chlorophyll and a nucleus...
Reply 11
Original post by valbrechts
its the biggest ******** ive ever seen in my life. The amount of work ive put into revising the whole syllabus has gone to waste. I LITERALLY understand and memorized the whole unit but still struggled.

Metaphase, Cytokinesis
cell wall is inelastic which opposes hydrostatic pressure when cytoplasm expands

I just blabbed a load of stuff about osmosis for the fish questions haha, definitely gonna have to resit this one.

Metaphase, Cytokinesis

I put vacuole, chloroplasts, metaphase and cytokinesis. I skipped the density question because I ran out of time. And yes, but I had no idea what they wanted in the answers most of the time!
I had to check if it was actually the right paper is many times ! it was nothing like I'd seen before also if anyone has access to an unofficial mark scheme please post it

Metaphase, Cytokinesis

Should I be worried that I wrote nothing about osmosis apart from the question about the cell wall? And i got different answers on most of those questions :L
Reply 15
What do you guys think an A will be?
This is the new spec

Yeah, I know, I'm also doing the new spec but didn't see these questions of organelles and fish people are talking about, what was your QER question?
Yeah, I know, I'm also doing the new spec but didn't see these questions of organelles and fish people are talking about, what was your QER question?

Enzyme inhibitors
I quite liked the fish urine question but i cant even remember what the density one was.
Reply 19

You must have done a resit paper then, the old spec

Quick Reply

Latest