The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA English Literature - June 2016 *Official Thread*

Scroll to see replies

Anyone else desperate to just get this exam out of the way?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1281
predictions for poetry across time aqa for tomorrow?
The Farmer's Bride came up twice too in the past 3-4 years - so they may not use that poem for the Relationships Section
Do you get a choice of two questions? I thought there was only one option but looking at past mark schemes and each cluster has two poem choices...
In sister maude, does he beloved really die? I get the feeling from it that her father is the only one that dies, especially in the poem when she says 'spared his soul'? Not sure whether to go into the exam with this interpretation of it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pheebsdancer
Do you get a choice of two questions? I thought there was only one option but looking at past mark schemes and each cluster has two poem choices...

Yes that's correct. You choose one question of two options from the cluster and one unseen (no option)
Original post by Ucalyptas
Any predictions for conflict cluster?

So far I've heard are Flag and The Right Word
My prediction for relationship cluster:

Compare how the poets represent Death in To His Coy Mistress and one other poem.

What do people think about this prediction?

I would compare it with Harmonium
Original post by LindsaySteele27
Yes that's correct. You choose one question of two options from the cluster and one unseen (no option)

Ah thanks! Can you help me with how to structure an answer please? I understand the unseen but don't get how to structure the comparison.

Please can someone help me out with the predictions for the relationships cluster for tomorrow??
Original post by teacher's pet
My prediction for relationship cluster:

Compare how the poets represent Death in To His Coy Mistress and one other poem.

What do people think about this prediction?

I would compare it with Harmonium

What would your points be?
Reply 1291
Original post by mairossanna
Okay so The Falling Leaves, Flag, and The Right Word have never come up, but that's not to say it will be one of these... Bayonet Charge has been done twice and so has Mametz Wood so it is unlikely to be one of these two.
How are you revising???

Hi,

My teacher has told us that those 3 poems are Foundation tier only and definitely wont come up if you are doing Higher??? I haven't been taught these at all so if these come up tomorrow, Im screwed :eek:
Original post by BluBird :)
What would your points be?

Coy mistress - narrator is scared of death - 'deserts of vast eternity' - shows that we are insignificant like grains of sand when we die, and death is eternal. Also he uses death to persuade his mistress to be more adventurous - ' The graves a fine and private place, but none do there, i think, embrace' 'Worms will take your virginity'

Harmonium - The old organ reminds narrator of his father - he is about to die The whole second stanza can be seen as a metaphor for a coffin. There's a video on Mr Bruff's channel that explains this really nicely:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HObp2wry8gg&index=6&list=PLqGFsWf-P-cCk_AgjXg_EEYr9YkRnDDIM
Original post by pheebsdancer
Ah thanks! Can you help me with how to structure an answer please? I understand the unseen but don't get how to structure the comparison.

Here's what I do and I used this to get an A*~ in the mocks: The opening paragraph I just give an intro about the form of both poems, so for example 'The ruined maid is written in anapestic trimeter' this enable you to get the marks early on, and even if you don't talk about all the structural elements, you still get credit!
For the second paragraph, I would pick one of the structural elements and talk about how they help to carry the given theme in the poem. Whilst doing this, I in cooperate linguistic devices used such as syntax etc.
I would do this technique until i cover the main points and remember to use the vital skills such as imagery, poetic devices etc.

I would then repeat this process with the other poem, and slot the paragraphs in comparison to the given poem. So for example if my first paragraph is talking about The fall of women in The Ruined maid, My next paragraph would be comparing the devices used by the poet in the poem I choose to represent the same issue.
If i have time I may conclude, but it's not necessary and if you are aiming for the A* try and add some Intertextual allusions!
Good luck and hope that helps!
Original post by LindsaySteele27
So far I've heard are Flag and The Right Word

my teacher is saying that next to of course god america i has a very high chance of coming up, i don't really know how she's so confident about it but yeah I'm not sure , I'm gunna revise Belfast confetti also as that hasn't come up for a while i don't think and i really hope that its that.
Any predictions for the relationships cluster for tomorrow?
Original post by teacher's pet
Coy mistress - narrator is scared of death - 'deserts of vast eternity' - shows that we are insignificant like grains of sand when we die, and death is eternal. Also he uses death to persuade his mistress to be more adventurous - ' The graves a fine and private place, but none do there, i think, embrace' 'Worms will take your virginity'

Harmonium - The old organ reminds narrator of his father - he is about to die The whole second stanza can be seen as a metaphor for a coffin. There's a video on Mr Bruff's channel that explains this really nicely:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HObp2wry8gg&index=6&list=PLqGFsWf-P-cCk_AgjXg_EEYr9YkRnDDIM

This would be absolutely brilliant if it was the question tomorrow i also oredict that it is to his coy mistress
Does anyone have a good waggol answer to the following conflict comparisons?
The Falling Leaves, The Right Word, Belfast Confetti or The Charge Of The Light Brigade.
All help will be useful, as these have not come up.
Poems which have not come up for relationships
In paris with you
Brothers
To his coy mistress
Original post by hollie.jones1825
In sister maude, does he beloved really die? I get the feeling from it that her father is the only one that dies, especially in the poem when she says 'spared his soul'? Not sure whether to go into the exam with this interpretation of it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You get marks for showing alternative interpretations (thats what "exploratory" means in the mark scheme) so use both arguments in your answer. I agree with you too, especially because the poem strongly implies that the father is now in heaven with "my father may sleep in paradise" and "If my dear and I" which suggests that the lover is still alive.What poem would you compare it to?

Quick Reply