The Student Room Group

WJEC BIOLOGY BY1 2016 (NEW AS) Thread

Scroll to see replies

It was a horrendous paper. I almost cried during the exam lmao. For somebody who get's mostly A's in past papers this was an utter joke. I might go drown myself with the peeing carp and the flounder...
Reply 41
Original post by xColourReign
There was a question on properties of water and biological significance? Did you have the same one?

Nope, water didn't come up..
That's kinda confusing now 😶
Original post by owen.williams
Anyone able to try and weigh in on expected grade boundaries?

50 something for an A?? No idea
i did the resit (old spec) a few questions were
1) a selection of things that we had to state which ones were elements, tissue, ions ect
2) use of triglyceride
3) distinguish between cell organelles
4) water and its properties
5) blood and centrifuging
6) graphs and what type of transport they are
7) banana puree and the effect of PH, Temp and a vacuum on enzymes and substrates
8) essays - Mitosis or immobilized enzymes
Original post by AndrewKn0x
It was a horrendous paper. I almost cried during the exam lmao. For somebody who get's mostly A's in past papers this was an utter joke. I might go drown myself with the peeing carp and the flounder...

I couldn't have put my situation any better than you just did.
Original post by Squashy_josh
1) a selection of things that we had to state which ones were elements, tissue, ions ect
2) use of triglyceride
7) banana puree and the effect of PH, Temp and a vacuum on enzymes and substrates

THATS SO BULL!
How come your questions were so easy and actually relevant to the subject specification but the NEW AS was so q/jhmadfkhfa
Reply 46
Judging by how it's trending on twitter, lets home someone makes a huge protest about Biochemistry/Cells being Marine Biology..
Original post by valbrechts
THATS SO BULL!
How come your questions were so easy and actually relevant to the subject specification but the NEW AS was so q/jhmadfkhfa

Tbf some questions were worded really weird but it wasnt that bad, do you think UMS will be decided by both papers or will both by1 papers or?
Tbf some questions were worded really weird but it wasnt that bad, do you think UMS will be decided by both papers or will both by1 papers or?

I completely agree that the some questions were worded weirdly. I sat it today and it was alright but some questions I know I lost marks on because they weren't like what I'd been revising. Is there a thread for the resit exam??
Reply 49
Original post by RasputinReborn
Guys, were both of the inhibitors competitive on the last question, or was one non-competitive and the other was competitive?

I put Phosphate as competitive, and the other one as non competitive.
Reply 50
The phosphate was competetive becausw it had a smiliar shape to the substrate and the poly thing wasnon competetive because it binded to the allosteric site
Original post by RasputinReborn
Guyswere both of the inhibitors competitive on the last question, or was one non-competitive and the other was competitive?
Reply 51
Original post by Manal99
The phosphate was competetive becausw it had a smiliar shape to the substrate and the poly thing wasnon competetive because it binded to the allosteric site

Competitive*
Reply 52
Looking around at the text book and specification, for the virus question, there is nothing on knowing the process that they showed us!! We just had to know the structure of a virus....
Original post by Cezza B
Looking around at the text book and specification, for the virus question, there is nothing on knowing the process that they showed us!! We just had to know the structure of a virus....

Tbf, the 2 virus questions were just transcription and translation, which we're suppose to know anyway
Reply 54
Original post by hamzakalinle
Didyou guys do a resit or something because my Biology wjec paper didnt have any question of fish. My essay question was on cell division. Did you guys have this too?

I did the old spec also, i thought that was a really nice paper, what did you think?
Reply 55
Original post by valbrechts
Tbf, the 2 virus questions were just transcription and translation, which we're suppose to know anyway

It asked us to name the process as well, does anyone know what it was called?
Reply 56
2) use of triglyceride

Yep that was the same paper i sat, how did you find it?
Original post by Cezza B
It asked us to name the process as well, does anyone know what it was called?

I missed that part out by accident but id imagine theyd be called the same things, transcription and translation
Original post by aledrhys
Yep that was the same paper i sat, how did you find it?

Okey but im not confident on the blood question and i forgot all about water properties so that sucks

Did you put leaf down as the tissue? and what order did you put the graphs in?
Reply 59
Okey but im not confident on the blood question and i forgot all about water properties so that sucks

Did you put leaf down as the tissue? and what order did you put the graphs in?

Oh the blood question got me to, took me like 10 minutes to figure out the graph!
No I put blood down as a tissue because i remember watching a Crash Course vid saying that was a tissue.

Quick Reply

Latest