The Student Room Group

Turk Muslim stabs 4 helpless women in Sainsbury's

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
I am surprised that there is not more mainstream media coverage of this event.

I wonder why it is relevant to state that he is Turkish and muslim.
Original post by limadima

Because attacks like these, more often than not, are religiously motivated. It's important information.
Original post by NickLCFC
Because attacks like these, more often than not, are religiously motivated. It's important information.
They found that he is muslim so he probably did it because he is one? I read articles before where stabbing has occured but never have they mentioned'' Christian British or White male stabbed this person'' we don't assume they did it for their religion because 0 newspapers write something like that. Why is it suddenly important when it is a muslim to state that you know what it a muslim, eventhough the attack has probably nothing to do with him being muslim or Turkish?? Or when it is a jew, never mentioned, or when catholic never mentioned, but it is important if it is a muslim. I am pretty sure that is called ********. Highlighting the wrongs of one religion, but if its christianity or any other religion NOTHING,
They found that he is muslim so he probably did it because he is one? I read articles before where stabbing has occured but never have they mentioned'' Christian British or White male stabbed this person'' we don't assume they did it for their religion because 0 newspapers write something like that. Why is it suddenly important when it is a muslim to state that you know what it a muslim, eventhough the attack has probably nothing to do with him being muslim or Turkish?? Or when it is a jew, never mentioned, or when catholic never mentioned, but it is important if it is a muslim. I am pretty sure that is called ********. Highlighting the wrongs of one religion, but if its christianity or any other religion NOTHING,

The reason is simple, and it is not because of an anti-Moslem agenda on the part of the news media.

In Europe it is rare in the extreme for Christians, Jews, Buddhists and Sikhs to kill people because of their religion, or to kill in the name of their religion. Therefore newspapers have no reason to report their religion.

Islam, on the other hand, seems to engender violence on the part of a significant minority of its adherents, who do kill people because of their culture (engendered by Islam) or the religion itself, or kill people in the name of Islam.

In an increasingly secular western democracy, this is newsworthy - that there are people among us who are prepare to do violence in the name of superstition, and whose mores seem rooted in a seventh century desert.
imennn
Original post by Good bloke
The reason is simple, and it is not because of an anti-Moslem agenda on the part of the news media.

In Europe it is rare in the extreme for Christians, Jews, Buddhists and Sikhs to kill people because of their religion, or to kill in the name of their religion. Therefore newspapers have no reason to report their religion.

Islam, on the other hand, seems to engender violence on the part of a significant minority of its adherents, who do kill people because of their culture (engendered by Islam) or the religion itself, or kill people in the name of Islam.

In an increasingly secular western democracy, this is newsworthy - that there are people among us who are prepare to do violence in the name of superstition, and whose mores seem rooted in a seventh century desert.

Hate to break it to you, but you are dead wrong mate. In 2013, for example, there were 152 terror attacks in Europe. Only two of them were “religiously motivated,” while 84 were predicated upon ethno-nationalist or separatist beliefs. You may think that most terrorists are Muslim, however it is just the media that selectively chooses to air these stories and magnify them beyond the limits of truth.G'day sir.
Original post by veryambitchious
Hate to break it to you, but you are dead wrong mate. In 2013, for example, there were 152 terror attacks in Europe. Only two of them were “religiously motivated,” while 84 were predicated upon ethno-nationalist or separatist beliefs. You may think that most terrorists are Muslim, however it is just the media that selectively chooses to air these stories and magnify them beyond the limits of truth.G'day sir.

Did I say that most terrorist attacks were by Moslems? Did I mention terrorism at all? Did I say there was more religiously-motivated killing than there was politically-inspired killing? Or did I merely talk about religiously-motivated violence and killing and say that more of it comes from Islam than the other religions? You decide.
Original post by Good bloke

This reply is simply not justified. The media seems to highlight and magnify the fact that these people who committed offences are Muslims. This whole idea that you have that "Islam seems to engender violence" is completely incorrect. Even if you are just pointing out the minority. Islam is a religion of peace. There have been over one thousand terrorist attacks in Europe in the past five years. Less than 2% of those attacks were carried out by Muslims.

Even if Muslims carried out all of these attacks (which is an absurd assumption) those terrorists would represent less than 0.00009 percent of all Muslims. Just to put things into perspective for you, this means you are more likely to be struck by lightning in your lifetime than a Muslim is likely to commit a terrorist attack during that same timeframe.

Have a good day mate.
Original post by 41b
I am surprised that there is not more mainstream media coverage of this event.

I made the very same thread earlier, it got removed because I mentioned he was a Muslim. Feeds the idea that there is a media blackout in effect, as with most Muslim perpetrated crime against non-Muslims.

Funnily enough, the Daily Mail of all places had the comments turned off and no mention of nationality or religion. I guess we are suppose to assume it was nothing to do with either.

Also, the perp was literally just bailed for assaulting a police officer and carrying a knife 12 hours earlier.

The authorities will move heaven and earth to claim it was mental health related no doubt, if they can't and the Turk starts quoting the Quran they will try to bury the story.
Reply 12

Because truth, accuracy and information matter.

BTW, the reason that the media may not cover the race and religion of non minorities is because it is assumed that the majority person did it.

Unfortunately the media is becoming increasingly polarised in it's reporting of facts, with the majority heading towards the "I didn't see or hear anything" group.
Original post by alishasher
There have been over one thousand terrorist attacks in Europe in the past five years. Less than 2% of those attacks were carried out by Muslims.

You seem to be labouring under the misapprehension that I was talking about terrorism. I wasn't. I was merely pointing out that there is a tendency for Moslems to commit violence in the name of their religion (and, sometimes, culture) while there is no such effect with the adherents of other religions. Some of this violence is terrorism, some isn't.

We all know that to claim that Islam is the religion of peace is a trite, hollow and unjustified claim. Have you actually read the Koran and hadith? Mohammed was definitely not a peaceful chap.
Original post by veryambitchious
In 2013, for example, there were 152 terror attacks in Europe. Only two of them were “religiously motivated,”

Source
Original post by alishasher
There have been over one thousand terrorist attacks in Europe in the past five years. Less than 2% of those attacks were carried out by Muslims.

Source.
Reply 16
Original post by BaconandSauce
Source.

This is one of those statistics that lumps in all crime as terrorism, and then redefines terrorism as anything that caused terror.

The real number is that since 9/11, over 90% of all terror attacks worldwide have been perpetrated by Muslims.
Original post by BaconandSauce
Source.

His rear end? From whence it was pulled? :smile:
It's not just Muslims it is any ethnic minority.
On ITV news this morning there was a report about a horrendous random acid spraying attack on 5 young men leaving one blinded and all with life changing injuries . They described the man they are looking for as having black hair and a black bubble jacket. Never bothered to mention that he was black.
Dancing on the head of a pin to avoid it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending