The Student Room Group

OCR Latin GCSE Official Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fuzz13
Omg what the hell was that?!?! I hated it soooo much! All the little questions I didn't know whether to translate or talk about style! If I got the wrong end of the stick then I failed and I'm so scared right now oml :ashamed2::K::redface:

Ahhhhh I completely feel you! Don't worry everyone seems to have found it terrible so hopefully the grade boundaries will be lower this year!
Easiest verse ive ever done and my whole found it quite easy too. Thanks OCR! :biggrin: The poppy one was so simple, you just had to talk about the way that Virgil
Completely terrified that I did badly - I forgot that there was an 8-mark question, and completely forgot how to translate the 5-marker, so I'm lucky if I get a 5/8 or 6/8 and a 2/5 or 3/5.
They screwed up the timings at my school, and someone said that they changed them twice, so I thought I had 10 minutes left when I actually had four, to write a 8-marker in.

The rest of the paper was fine though (think I repeated myself on the flower metaphor - four points, really? Really?), so fingers-crossed I can make that A* boundary!
@TeenPolyglot I know you like doing these so... What do you think the grade boundaries will be for verse? And how did you find it? Personally I found it harder than prose... :smile:
Reply 264
Original post by Pepsi Cola :)
@TeenPolyglot I know you like doing these so... What do you think the grade boundaries will be for verse? And how did you find it? Personally I found it harder than prose... :smile:

considering the grade boundary for last year was 41/50 for A* in the verse set text paper, i think it should be about 35-36 this year
Original post by dance25
how was ovid and catullus?

i did not like it ...

Thought the 8 and 10 marks were quite good but the 6 mark (3 bullet points) and those questions about the Trojan man and Greek girl were quite difficult...
Original post by skoti
considering the grade boundary for last year was 41/50 for A* in the verse set text paper, i think it should be about 35-36 this year

Thank god for that! :biggrin: Thank you!
Original post by Crème brûlée
Wtf was the four mark flower question on the Vergil paper :frown::frown:

I really could not think of 4 points!

Then again, I did misread the question at first...
I didn't really like Virgil today, I preferred Pliny but I guess that was because I didn't revise much for it. I hope the grade boundaries are low for pretty much every subject. Latin is finally over! I don't know if I'm incredibly happy or incredibly sad, Latin is my favourite subject but I am glad the tedious exams are over. How did everyone else find it?

I completely mucked up the translation at the end uh-oh.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by PlinyTheElder
That wasn't that bad. It was too long and the poppy question was really weird but it could've been much worse. The ten marker section was a gift too

I personally adored the paper;

It did help that I had a load of sixth formers with whom I was talking, and they tested me on reciting the whole of Passage 4 :biggrin:

Somehow though, I still got the translation miles off!

With the poppy question, it was due to the fact that the question was worded unusually, but I'm hoping for at least 2/4, considering I misread the passage at first.

I also quite liked the ten marker- I felt there was a fair bit to write about :biggrin:
Original post by TeenPolyglot
I really could not think of 4 points!

Then again, I did misread the question at first...

I struggled with that one too:-
- i put the flower droop its head like Euryalus
-The red coloured flowers are like his blood
-The plough cutting the flower down is like Volcens cutting him down
-Euryalus was murdered by chance like the flowers burdened by the rain by chance

I really think that last one is wrong. Also did we have to refer to Latin, it didn't mention it in the question so I didn't bother
Original post by Pepsi Cola :)

You know me too well, you stalker :wink:

And I personally loved it; based on these comments, my predictions are these:

41=A*
36=A
29=B
21=C

Probably miles off though :tongue:
Original post by niv1234
-Euryalus was murdered by chance like the flowers burdened by the rain by chance

I really think that last one is wrong. Also did we have to refer to Latin, it didn't mention it in the question so I didn't bother

I think it did say in the question "How does the Latin show..." didn't it?

And I said about how the reference to rain might have been an indirect metaphorical reference to the weapons and the hands seizing him, causing him to die...

#deep
Reply 273
Original post by niv1234

Werent the flowers purple\crimson
Original post by igggy
Werent the flowers purple\crimson

The poppies are red right?
Reply 275
Original post by niv1234
The poppies are red right?

Oh yeah sorry i was thinking about the first flower
I managed to misread he had come (vixisset) as she had left cos I was not thinking. Otherwise I am pretty sure i did not drop any marks. In latin language one i made one really stupid mistake, but otherwise it was pretty simple. Do you guys do any literature papers? If so, how did you find them?
Original post by igggy
Oh yeah sorry i was thinking about the first flower

its fine dw
Original post by niv1234

That question was a bit silly, but i put:
The comparison allows the reader to visualize the scene as many people have seen flowers, few have seen a man dying.
The comparison allows the reader to see how a beautiful person dies peacefully, as the flowers are beautiful too.
The comparison allows the reader to be put in the place of the people witnessing the scene.
And something else which i cannot remember.

We did not need to refer to the latin in that one, for sure
Original post by TeenPolyglot
You know me too well, you stalker :wink:

And I personally loved it; based on these comments, my predictions are these:

41=A*
36=A
29=B
21=C

Probably miles off though :tongue:

Do you mean miles off as in they will be higher or lower than the ones you have predicted?! I hope lower :colondollar: Lol of course :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending