The Student Room Group

AQA Biology AS New Spec - 26th May and 7th June

Scroll to see replies

would dna is longer than rna get a mark for differences between them?
Also Y was clearly a channel protein, if I jusst said it has a role in facilitated diffusion would it be right?
Isn't the reason why the substitute enzyme worked due to degeneracy of triplet code so different primary structure but same secondary structure and tertiary structure so active site complementary to active site

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 10moxoma
Also Y was clearly a channel protein, if I jusst said it has a role in facilitated diffusion would it be right?

Differences is 1) pentose sugar in dna is Deoxyribose but in RNA ribose 2) rna has uracil as a base instead of thymine 3) rna is a single strand but dna is double

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lemauricien
Differences is 1) pentose sugar in dna is Deoxyribose but in RNA ribose 2) rna has uracil as a base instead of thymine 3) rna is a single strand but dna is double

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes but dna is a lot longer than rna, are those^^ the only possible answers?

yes i think it does
Original post by GabbytheGreek_48
yes i think it does

for which one?
what did people put for the role of protein y?

Posted from TSR Mobile

have many other differences like the fact that rna is straight and dna has helix they usually have a lot of different answwers for questions like that
for which one?

rna one sorry not sure bout the other one though
what did people put for the role of protein y?
i think that you had to talk about the role of channel proteins (e.g. transport of charged particles).. I

It already told you in the question it helped with diffusion, so maybe not.
Isn't the reason why the substitute enzyme worked due to degeneracy of triplet code so different primary structure but same secondary structure and tertiary structure so active site complementary to active site

Posted from TSR Mobile

Different base pairing changes how proteins fold so no this is incorrect, as nitrogen bases contain N - H bonds which allow them to hydrogen bond to other nitrogenous bases hence different base pairing affecting folding
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 372

Posted from TSR Mobile

was it 3 marks for that q?
Original post by cxxk
was it 3 marks for that q?

I didn't even do the exam, but I know thats the possible answers haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Splaffie
Different base pairing changes how proteins fold so no this is incorrect, as nitrogen bases contain N - H bonds which allow them to hydrogen bond to other nitrogenous bases hence different base pairing affecting folding

Ah I didn't even do the exam I'm just basing off what I'm hearing , whar was the wording of the q?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah I didn't even do the exam I'm just basing off what I'm hearing , whar was the wording of the q?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was a substitute of propylene glycol between the glycerol molecule and 3 fatty acids, there wouldn't be an ester bond but I'm pretty sure the question would have nothing to do with ester bonds because you're not told the structure of the propylene glycol molecule, what I believed they were looking for was another classic 'different molecule shape means the lipase enzyme cannot act on it due to the need for a complementary shape for it to be able to bind with the active site therefore cannot form an enzyme-substrate complex and therefore cannot be catalysed and broken down' like atleast 5 other questions in the exam
(edited 7 years ago)
I didn't even do the exam, but I know thats the possible answers haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was a 3 mark question with 4 possible answers;
DNA contains deoxyribose mRNA contains ribose
DNA is double stranded mRNA is single stranded
DNA has the based Guanine Adenine Cystosine and Thymine whereas mRNA has Uracil instead of Thymine,
and the fourth which you didn't mention was that DNA contains both introns and exons whereas introns have been spliced out and the exons joined together in mRNA
It was a substitute of propylene glycol between the glycerol molecule and 3 fatty acids, there wouldn't be an ester bond but I'm pretty sure the question would have nothing to do with ester bonds because you're not told the structure of the propylene glycol molecule, what I believed they were looking for was another classic 'different molecule shape means the lipase enzyme cannot act on it due to the need for a complementary shape for it to be able to bind with the active site therefore cannot form an enzyme-substrate complex and therefore cannot be catalysed and broken down' like atleast 5 other questions in the exam

that is exactly what i put
It was a 3 mark question with 4 possible answers;
DNA contains deoxyribose mRNA contains ribose
DNA is double stranded mRNA is single stranded
DNA has the based Guanine Adenine Cystosine and Thymine whereas mRNA has Uracil instead of Thymine,
and the fourth which you didn't mention was that DNA contains both introns and exons whereas introns have been spliced out and the exons joined together in mRNA

Can someone pleeease tell me what the answer was on the first page about semi conservative replication??
Posted from TSR Mobile

would also accept introns and exans since thats a valid point

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending