The Student Room Group

Can I still Study Econ in Uni..

I have a genuine interest in Economics, I've been following it for a while, reading lots of news about it all and trying to find and teach myself parts of economics online, but my Maths is not the strongest. I'm a B student at GCSE, maybe a C+, and I don't know if this is adequate for Econ. Because of my lack of talent in Maths, i dont think it would be smart to take it for A Level as i probably won't achieve high grades in it.
Can i still get into a Uni and study Econ? I understand top Unis such as Oxford and LSE etc require an A Level, but are there any decent Unis where i can get away without a Maths A Level. I feel like i can put the work in and understand the Econ maths, but Im still on the fence on taking a maths A level.
After that rambling, what Im trying to ask is
Should i take Maths at A level despite my lack of confidence?
Is there any decent Unis where i can study Econ without a maths A level?
Does Uni reputation matter a lot when trying to get into a Econ field of work?
Original post by LuckiSingh
I have a genuine interest in Economics, I've been following it for a while, reading lots of news about it all and trying to find and teach myself parts of economics online, but my Maths is not the strongest. I'm a B student at GCSE, maybe a C+, and I don't know if this is adequate for Econ. Because of my lack of talent in Maths, i dont think it would be smart to take it for A Level as i probably won't achieve high grades in it.
Can i still get into a Uni and study Econ? I understand top Unis such as Oxford and LSE etc require an A Level, but are there any decent Unis where i can get away without a Maths A Level. I feel like i can put the work in and understand the Econ maths, but Im still on the fence on taking a maths A level.

I was in a similar situation to yourself. I applied for Economics at Lancaster with Manchester as my insurance. Both very good uni's that don't need Maths to study Economics. (This is the BA course, not the BSc)
I'm not sure whether there are any BSc Economics courses at any half decent unis that don't require maths, I doubt it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2

I think you should take a level maths i only got a B in GCSE. but so far in as maths i'm averaging approximately a B/A. Although i'm yet to start a2 which is meant to be much more harder. But i know if you put the time and effort into as maths you can achieve a good grade it doesn't really depend on talent in my opinion . However Maths is essential in for studying economics at uni as most of course consist of mathematical skills.
so yh i see it as a must if you want to take economics at uni
Reply 3
Original post by _Dreamville_
I was in a similar situation to yourself. I applied for Economics at Lancaster with Manchester as my insurance. Both very good uni's that don't need Maths to study Economics. (This is the BA course, not the BSc)
I'm not sure whether there are any BSc Economics courses at any half decent unis that don't require maths, I doubt it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would you say the Maths is too hard for someone at about a B GCSE Maths grade?
Would you say the Maths is too hard for someone at about a B GCSE Maths grade?

I think at least a good grade B in AS maths would probably be best. That's not to say it's impossible without it but you might find it extremely hard and therefore not enjoyable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending