The Student Room Group

Unofficial Mark Scheme: AQA Mathematics Unit 1 (Statistics and Number)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by A.bi.iii
Question about card 'A' was 2

3/25 X 4 = 12/100
1/10 X 10 = 10/100
12/100-10/100 = 2

12/100-10/100 = 2/100 or 0.02 not 2.

I think you should have done...

3/25 X 4 = 12/10
01/10 X 10 = 10/100

But 20 balls have been removed
So must be ?/80 = 10/100

So "?" must = 8 as 8/80 = 10/100 (or 1/10)

8 is the new number of balls, 12 was the original number of balls so 12-8 = 4 balls that have been removed
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MD_Meridius
This is actually wrong. You considered the following possibilities:
Centre, Miss (0.2*0.3=0.06)
Outer, outer (0.5*0.5=0.25)
However, what you failed to consider was the third possibility of missing, then hitting the centre, which would result in an extra 0.06, meaning your answer would be:
0.25+0.06+0.06=0.37

Thanks for your post @md_meridius

Feeling better after reading this, was my method and 0.37 was my answer too.

I thought I must had it wrong which was why I previously asked for the method that gave 0.31
Original post by Jamie Vardy
I got that as well. Is it 100% correct?

It must be we cant all have the same wrong 4 tile answer and i think i have found a few flaws in the working out leading to 2 tiles.

12/100 - 10/100 = 2/100 or 0.02 NOT 2!

0.02 tiles would obviously be incorrect
(edited 7 years ago)
Relative Frequency (Dar
Stratified Sampling Question
Values should add up to 720 (3)

[Unsure of whether the values were integers or decimals - e.g. 123.5].

When i worked this out, I had two .5 decimol answers that i rounded up to make intergers so all my answers added together equaled 720
Original post by bigoliver
Relative Frequency (Dar
Stratified Sampling Question
Values should add up to 720 (3)

[Unsure of whether the values were integers or decimals - e.g. 123.5].

When i worked this out, I had two .5 decimol answers that i rounded up to make intergers so all my answers added together equaled 720

The integers added up to 721 though.
The integers added up to 721 though.

When I rounded both answers up I still calculated 720, so I must have made an error I guess.
In previous papers you have some leyway for rounding, but total should add to 720, so not sure if I might have dropped a mark somewhere here, I found the question pretty easy, but might have made a silly calculation error and i might have 721 people in my survey.
thanks for all the questions from today's aqa unit 1 exam mr vardy! Will check back at some point for any updates on the other questions! Good luck with your exams
Original post by chrisandmaddy
thanks for all the questions from today's aqa unit 1 exam mr vardy! Will check back at some point for any updates on the other questions! Good luck with your exams

Remembered some others mate. Do you recall the median for the Box and Whisker Plot to be 33?
Remembered some others mate. Do you recall the median for the Box and Whisker Plot to be 33?

thats what i got mate!

i think were still missing a few questions, but cant for the life of me remember them!!
thats what i got mate!

i think were still missing a few questions, but cant for the life of me remember them!!

also i think finding the median for box plot covered the 4 marks for that question..
thats what i got mate!

I reckon we've got a high B or an A on this (well, I have anyway - you may have got even higher).

I'll try and find out.
looking at past year a B is around 30 marks out of 54? so think im around a B! This paper is my weakest believe it or not! unit 2 and 3 are my stronger papers!

think im around the B mark for this paper!
The dartboard question was actually 0.37, as I stated in my earlier comment (#37).
Original post by MD_Meridius
The dartboard question was actually 0.37, as I stated in my earlier comment (#37).

That's what I got :smile:
Reply 54
Yes, 25 and 25; 50 and 0, but also 0 and 50, so 0.5X0.5 + 0.2X0.3 + 0.3X0.2 = 0.37
You missed out the question about finding the median from those decimals/ standard form numbers.

I got 2.71x10-3

And then the next question where they added 1 and 0 I circled "stays the same"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tea2345
You missed out the question about finding the median from those decimals/ standard form numbers.

I got 2.71x10-3

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what I got too.
forgot about that one!! not sure what other questions there were
Original post by Tea2345

I got 2.71x10-3

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't supose anyone remembers the question, I remember getting x10–3 too but thought the answer was more like 3.6x10-3 cant remember though.

To the second part of the question, adding 0 and 1 to the original numbers, I circled that it would increased the median, I worked out that it would increase the median but, if you have x numbers all below 0 and you add 2 more numbers both 0 or above (0 and 1 in this case) the median would have to increase, dont see how it could possibly stay the same?
Original post by bigoliver
I don't supose anyone remembers the question, I remember getting x10–3 too but thought the answer was more like 3.6x10-3 cant remember though.

To the second part of the question, adding 0 and 1 to the original numbers, I circled that it would increased the median, I worked out that it would increase the median but, if you have x numbers all below 0 and you add 2 more numbers both 0 or above (0 and 1 in this case) the median would have to increase, dont see how it could possibly stay the same?

i think i may have got this wrong....as i converted to standard form correctly, but not sure if i arranged them in correct order to work out median

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending