The Student Room Group

Help with Flag and Belfast Confetti

Hi,

I am desperate for any notes anybody may have on either Flag or Belfast Confetti, beginning to panic now because I have very few notes for these! If you have any ideas that you wouldn't mind sharing, please do let me know!

Thanks!
With the poems, I find it best not to think about making loads of notes and instead get the main things down;

I haven't got the poems with me right now, but my first thoughts are:

Flag;
Symbol of patriotism
Use of rhetoric reflects off of the potential lack of reason for the flag
The flag is perhaps seen too importantly
Use of "just" repeatedly emphasises the lack of meaning; ironic as people worship it so much
"blind your conscience" potentially satirises whole poem.

Belfast Confetti:
About the IRA- Bloody Sunday I think
References to punctuation are all references to the weapons and situation; "blocked by stops and colons" for example.
Repeated question marks reflect off of the psychological state of the narrator, as the rhetoric is being used to support his panic.
"It kept stuttering"- sound imagery, relates to sounds created by guns and weapons

So that is the main thing to do. Just think: "When I see this poem, even briefly, what are the first thoughts that come to mind?" Now you add a bit more understanding to those points- alternative interpretations, linguistic understanding and language devices etc.

There you have your notes. By recalling your first thoughts, you'll know exactly what to put down on the paper.
Check BBC Bitesize, they have notes on all the poems!

Posted from TSR Mobile
For Flag:
Themes: Patriotism
a poem you could compare it to is 'next to of course god America I'
Flag shows how language can encourage conflict - a flag is ''just a piece of cloth'', but it has the power to make people die for it and go to war - ''makes the guts of men grow bold''
''blind your conscience'' is quite cynical, as it the whole last stanza
- repetition of what a flag is, to remind us a flag is powerful

hope this helped:h:
Reply 4
Original post by TeenPolyglot
With the poems, I find it best not to think about making loads of notes and instead get the main things down;

I haven't got the poems with me right now, but my first thoughts are:

Flag;
Symbol of patriotism
Use of rhetoric reflects off of the potential lack of reason for the flag
The flag is perhaps seen too importantly
Use of "just" repeatedly emphasises the lack of meaning; ironic as people worship it so much
"blind your conscience" potentially satirises whole poem.

Belfast Confetti:
About the IRA- Bloody Sunday I think
References to punctuation are all references to the weapons and situation; "blocked by stops and colons" for example.
Repeated question marks reflect off of the psychological state of the narrator, as the rhetoric is being used to support his panic.
"It kept stuttering"- sound imagery, relates to sounds created by guns and weapons

So that is the main thing to do. Just think: "When I see this poem, even briefly, what are the first thoughts that come to mind?" Now you add a bit more understanding to those points- alternative interpretations, linguistic understanding and language devices etc.

There you have your notes. By recalling your first thoughts, you'll know exactly what to put down on the paper.

Thank you!
Reply 5
Original post by alishba-rosex
For Flag:
Themes: Patriotism
a poem you could compare it to is 'next to of course god America I'
Flag shows how language can encourage conflict - a flag is ''just a piece of cloth'', but it has the power to make people die for it and go to war - ''makes the guts of men grow bold''
''blind your conscience'' is quite cynical, as it the whole last stanza
- repetition of what a flag is, to remind us a flag is powerful

hope this helped:h:

Okay great - thanks for this! I don't suppose you have comparisons between any other poems in the Conflict Cluster do you?
Can someone please give some comparison points as well please?
Original post by DW_0505
Okay great - thanks for this! I don't suppose you have comparisons between any other poems in the Conflict Cluster do you?

Yep I do:smile:

Causes of Conflict:
Conflict can be caused by a difference:
(The poems are Hawk Roosting and Yellow Palm)
In TYP:
- faithful citizens pray at the mosque but there is ''blood on the walls'' and ''despair'' in the muezzin's eyes, which shows religion can be a source of conflict.
In HR:
The narrator is a hawk, so a predator and is arrogant and powerful over the other animals

Death:
From the perspective of a dying person (poems you could link together are Out of the Blue and 'Come on, Come Back'
In OFTB:
the narrator gets closer and closer to death as the poem goes on, even though he tries to fight against it, ''I am trying and trying'', but gives hope up -''does anyone see a soul worth saving?''

In COCB:
Death is presented as something welcome for Vaudevue, because war has been damaging for her.

(I just realised how depressing these poems are lool)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mustafaabid
Can someone please give some comparison points as well please?

What points do you need? And I've written some below if that's any help
Original post by alishba-rosex
What points do you need? And I've written some below if that's any help

yh, thanks for the points you've written they have helped
good luck to everyone doing Lit

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending