The Student Room Group

Journey to becoming a physicist - year 11

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kennethdcharles
My name is Ken, I'm 15 and in year 11, meaning I will be sitting exams in about 76 days :s-smilie:. In the future, my dream job will be a physicist. My aim is to get great grades, and move one to do A levels in subjects I actually enjoy: Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry (yes, my life extremely tough). My dream is to go to Oxford in the future to study Physics, so in order to do so, it is vital that I get the best grades possible at GCSE and A level. I start my journey in year 11.

These are my targets, which means, they are the grades which will make me proud and happy on the 25th of August:

Maths: A*
English: A*
Biology: A*
Chemistry: A*
Physics: A*
French: A*
Geography: A*
Physical Education: A*
Religious Studies: A
FSMQ Additional Maths: A

I guess this is a lot to ask for, but I hope I can achieve these grades.

Good luck! If you want to ask anything, I'm currently in my fourth and final year studying physics at Oxford. Feel free to PM me.
Reply 141
Original post by Metrododo
Good luck on your GCSE's! Out of curiosity, why the preference for Oxford over Cambridge? :smile:

Thank you!!

And my preference is based on the sole reason that Oxford offer a physics course whereas Cambridge offer a Natural Science course instead. I don't really want to do NatSci, so it is an easy choice:wink:
Reply 142
Original post by natninja
Good luck! If you want to ask anything, I'm currently in my fourth and final year studying physics at Oxford. Feel free to PM me.

Thanks ! And I will do so :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 143
First physics exam today! Feeling pretty confident, just got to execute now.
First physics exam today! Feeling pretty confident, just got to execute now.

P123- barely physics, but you gotta do what you gotta do. AS is much better than P123, no 6 markers on stupid ethical stuff.
Reply 145
Original post by richpanda
P123- barely physics, but you gotta do what you gotta do. AS is much better than P123, no 6 markers on stupid ethical stuff.

Omds I ABSOLUTELY agree! The ehtical questions annoy me so much because they don't even test my physics knowledge, meaning some people who barely know physics can still get marks. But yeah, I'm looking forward to A levels a lot; as well as doing the more interesting parts (in all subjects, including maths) I'll be able to focus my time on things I actually enjoy, meaning going to school will be something to look forward to rather than a chore.
Omds I ABSOLUTELY agree! The ehtical questions annoy me so much because they don't even test my physics knowledge, meaning some people who barely know physics can still get marks. But yeah, I'm looking forward to A levels a lot; as well as doing the more interesting parts (in all subjects, including maths) I'll be able to focus my time on things I actually enjoy, meaning going to school will be something to look forward to rather than a chore.

I've started loving school again since sixth form- first time since I was probably 10 or so. I was never pushed academically, and just found lessons very boring. However at sixth form I'm now around people with the same interests, passions and drive to do well, and it rubs off on you. There's an actual sense of competitiveness, which will 100% be at whichever sixth form you go to (I believe you said some sort of selective place)
Reply 147
I've started loving school again since sixth form- first time since I was probably 10 or so. I was never pushed academically, and just found lessons very boring. However at sixth form I'm now around people with the same interests, passions and drive to do well, and it rubs off on you. There's an actual sense of competitiveness, which will 100% be at whichever sixth form you go to (I believe you said some sort of selective place)

Yep I can imagine. I'm deciding between Harris Westminster and King's College London mathematics school, which according to the guardian are two of hr most selective state schools in the country, so like you said, it will be competitive and I'll be with like minded students, and the content will be more interesting and challenging,which will spur me on to do well. Good luck with the rest of your exams!
Reply 148
Update 26/05/16

End of the second week!

Tuesday - Geography exam went pretty well, hope I got, and should have got an A*. One more to go. Got home and did two physics past papers; specimen and June 2013 re-take, both A*s. Made notes on weak topics, and skimmed through revision guide.

Wednesday - Physics exam, although probably the most difficult out of all the past papers I've done, was pretty good, and I'm pretty confident about that. I then did some BRIEF revision for my non calculator exam, by doing one of the CGP papers and answering some A* questions that my friends wanted help with.

Thursday - I have mixed feelings about maths. I'm disappointed in the sense that I made a few stupid errors which will prevent me from getting my aim which was 100/100 (was always unlikely :biggrin:) but I'm happy in the sense that looking at the unofficial mark scheme and some online solutions, I should have secured at least 92, a solid A*. When I came home, I did absolutely no revision, as I have no exams tomorrow, and next week is half term! So I spent some time watching football videos, as well as a documentary by Professor Brian Cox.

Tomorrow, I plan to do some R.S. revision.
(edited 7 years ago)
So I spent some time watching football videos, as well as a documentary by Professor Brian Cox.

This is what I do haha. Don't beat yourself up about GCSE maths, seriously. Best guy in my year didn't even get full marks
Reply 150
This is what I do haha. Don't beat yourself up about GCSE maths, seriously. Best guy in my year didn't even get full marks

Yeah I've noticed that :biggrin: How did you find the England game? Yeah I know, it was really unlikely anyway 😂 it was just a target I set myself because I find GCSE maths very simple and not challenging enough.
(edited 7 years ago)
Yeah I've noticed that :biggrin: How did you find the England game? Yeah I know, it was really unlikely anyway 😂 it was just a target I set myself because I find GCSE maths very simple and not challenging enough.

Thought it was alright, we obviously slacked off too much towards the end. Although I don't know why Roy said we wasn't going to experiment, but then played a team (apart from the defence) which I ope resembles nothing like our starting 11 against Russia?
Reply 152
Thought it was alright, we obviously slacked off too much towards the end. Although I don't know why Roy said we wasn't going to experiment, but then played a team (apart from the defence) which I ope resembles nothing like our starting 11 against Russia?

Yeah I agree. I was happy for Rashford, he just keeps rising to the occasion. Although he's 18, he's proven he's good enough to be in the 23, so let's see who is selected on the 31st.
Yeah I agree. I was happy for Rashford, he just keeps rising to the occasion. Although he's 18, he's proven he's good enough to be in the 23, so let's see who is selected on the 31st.

Yeah I'd take him over sturridge, even though i like sturridge. I thought the only players who really boosted their chances yesterday were Bertrand, Stones and Sterling. My team would be:

Hart
Walker, Smalling, Cahill, Bertrand
Wilshere, Dier
Rooney, Alli, Vardy
Kane
Reply 154
Yeah I'd take him over sturridge, even though i like sturridge. I thought the only players who really boosted their chances yesterday were Bertrand, Stones and Sterling. My team would be:

Hart
Wilshere, Dier
Rooney, Alli, Vardy
Kane

Although Smalling is a lot more experienced, I think Stones could give him a run for his money. However I'd still say keep him in. Bertrand played well yesterday, so the LB position between him and Rose will be tight. And, I'm not sure if Vardy can be as effective on the left, so a four diamond two could work depending on the opposition? I think it could work against Russia, not sure about teams like France, Germany etc.

Hart
Dier, Alli, Rooney, Wilshere
Kane, Vardy

Either way, the team is still pretty solid!
Reply 155
Update 29/05/16

I've spent the last three days doing a lot of R.S. work for two reasons; firstly, I think I aced the first exam, so it would be really disappointing if I didn't get an A* because I mess up this one, and secondly, this unit is quite difficult, as we pretty much have to understand Mark's Gospel inside out. So I've committed myself to it by making flashcards with model answers, as well as doing exam questions in timed conditions.

Friday: Spent about 2 hours making flashcards for Discipleship, before doing some exam questions. Then had to A&E for 3 hours as my brother got hurt... Just sat there reading a book on Special Relativity.

Saturday: Made flashcards for conflict and argument. I find it to be the most difficult module in the unit. Then made some geography flashcards on Natural Hazards

Sunday: Made flashcards on Death and Resurrection. Quite an easy module, so didn't take me so long.

For the remainder of the day, I expect to finish off my natural hazards flashcards for geography, and then I hope to be able to do an additional maths paper.
Why have I only seen this thread now? Haha, I'm a huge maths nerd and I really want to get a Maths/Physics degree at Oxford. I'm in Year 11 too and the exams have gone well so far (: Maths was a breeze, I actually think I got 100 on the first paper, so I'm totally prepared for the next one. I really, really would like to get full marks on both, which I've done previously on mocks. But then again, I'm completely satisfied with an A*. Good luck to everyone on here! Hope you guys get the grades you want!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 157
Original post by Aamna-
Why have I only seen this thread now? Haha, I'm a huge maths nerd and I really want to get a Maths/Physics degree at Oxford. I'm in Year 11 too and the exams have gone well so far (: Maths was a breeze, I actually think I got 100 on the first paper, so I'm totally prepared for the next one. I really, really would like to get full marks on both, which I've done previously on mocks. But then again, I'm completely satisfied with an A*. Good luck to everyone on here! Hope you guys get the grades you want!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha we share the same passions and ambitions :biggrin: Exams have gone quite well for me too; maths was very simple, though made a minor silly mistake, putting my aim of 200/200 out of bounds :frown: But I'm very confident of getting an A* in maths, and in the majority of my other subjects. What A levels are you doing next year?

Good luck to you too! Hopefully I will see you one day at Oxford too :biggrin::smile:
Reply 158
Update 31/05/16

Revision has been going well. I managed to revise the whole of unit 16 for R.S. thoroughly which I'm happy about because now I can just focus on past papers. I've also finished making my flashcards for Natural Hazards in geography.

Sunday - R.S. flashcards on Death and resurrection, then did some practice questions. Finished flashcards on natural hazards.

Monday - R.S. recap on other 3 modules, then flashcards on the Identity of Jesus, then did some practice questions. Additional maths specimen paper (86/100). B4 revision and B4 B5 B6 past paper June 2012 (50/60, A*).
Reply 159
Today if all goes well, I should have scanned through my R.S. flashcards, done a past paper (June 2012), made some flashcards for the Tourism module in Geography, finished revising B4 B5 an B6, and then do a (possibly two) past paper on it. I'll update this as the day goes along.

R.S. - Started some revision then got bored :biggrin: so did a past paper; managed to answer all the questions in good detail.

Geography - Made the majority of my tourism flashcards, just got Ecotourism and development gaps left to do.

Biology - B4 B5 B6 Past paper January 2013 (49/50, A*)
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending