The Student Room Group

Work experience property and real estate

Does anyone know how I would go about getting work experience in this sector?
Original post by QueenEM
Does anyone know how I would go about getting work experience in this sector?

it wouldn't be very easy if you find something it will be very minimal stuff like making tea, getting files and cleaning
Many big real estate firms (mostly in London) provide internships. These tend to be targeted at students or prospective students on RICS-accredited real estate programmes. The other main way to gain work experience in this sector is to use whatever connections you have with people in the industry. To help students who are not well-networked we fund (with the industry) x25 summer internships for students on our BSc Real Estate course. The other option is to gain work experience in a related built environment area like construction, planning, finance or architecture.
Joe (Doak), UG Real Estate Admissions Tutor, University of Reading
Reply 3
Original post by klsdoakj
Many big real estate firms (mostly in London) provide internships. These tend to be targeted at students or prospective students on RICS-accredited real estate programmes. The other main way to gain work experience in this sector is to use whatever connections you have with people in the industry. To help students who are not well-networked we fund (with the industry) x25 summer internships for students on our BSc Real Estate course. The other option is to gain work experience in a related built environment area like construction, planning, finance or architecture.
Joe (Doak), UG Real Estate Admissions Tutor, University of Reading

Thank you for your reply! I have applied to the pathways to property summer course at University of Reading. The only thing is it's quite far away as I live in Scotland.

Posted from TSR Mobile
We do pay for travel, so it won't cost you. However, I acknowledge the time it will take to get down to Reading. It will be a great event though, so worth it! We are organising a few site visits and I'm putting together a group project which you do in teams....presenting to senior leaders in the industry on the last day! No sweat!

Should also mention that Pathways provides paid work experience to those that attend the Summer School. We try to fit it in with your needs in terms of timing and location....so that will be useful to you.

Joe
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
We do pay for travel, so it won't cost you. However, I acknowledge the time it will take to get down to Reading. It will be a great event though, so worth it! We are organising a few site visits and I'm putting together a group project which you do in teams....presenting to senior leaders in the industry on the last day! No sweat!

Should also mention that Pathways provides paid work experience to those that attend the Summer School. We try to fit it in with your needs in terms of timing and location....so that will be useful to you.

Joe

That sounds as if it could be very useful to get into university! Wish more universities offered summer schools like this

Posted from TSR Mobile
We are fortunate, and quite unique, in that our alumni charity (the Reading Real Estate Foundation) funds the Summer School and all the other extra things we do for Real Estate & Planning students at Reading. This covers scholarships, hardship awards, mentoring, internships, evening seminars, a careers fair, research activities and much more. Some other universities (such as Cambridge and UCL) provide similar forms of support for their real estate/planning students, but not on the same scale.
Joe
Reply 7
We are fortunate, and quite unique, in that our alumni charity (the Reading Real Estate Foundation) funds the Summer School and all the other extra things we do for Real Estate & Planning students at Reading. This covers scholarships, hardship awards, mentoring, internships, evening seminars, a careers fair, research activities and much more. Some other universities (such as Cambridge and UCL) provide similar forms of support for their real estate/planning students, but not on the same scale.
Joe

I know it sounds amazing do you know when applicants will know if they have been successful or not?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by QueenEM
I know it sounds amazing do you know when applicants will know if they have been successful or not?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm just checking with the Pathways Project Manager but I think it should be next week. If you hit the key criteria, you will be successful!
Joe
Reply 9
I'm just checking with the Pathways Project Manager but I think it should be next week. If you hit the key criteria, you will be successful!
Joe

Great thank you! Do you normally get a lot of applicants?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by QueenEM

Posted from TSR Mobile

Last week we had 135 applications for the 100 places. 93% of the applicants met one or more of our selection criteria. So there should be a pretty good fit between eligible applicants and places available. If necessary, we will accept a few more than 100. Assuming you meet one or more of our selection criteria, I look forward to meeting you in July!
Joe
Original post by QueenEM

Posted from TSR Mobile

Summer School invites are going out today and tomorrow, so good luck!
Joe
Reply 12
Summer School invites are going out today and tomorrow, so good luck!
Joe

Thank you I got offered a place!

Posted from TSR Mobile
:smile: Great! See you next month.
Reply 14
:smile: Great! See you next month.

Just wondering if you have to stay in university accommodation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by QueenEM
Just wondering if you have to stay in university accommodation?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, that's part of the Summer School experience. However, if you want to make other arrangements, please speak to the Pathways team.
Joe

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending